Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Roomba Irobot vacuum question

Anyone on here have one of these things,my question is are they any good or just more junk.Thanks for any replies.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM

We used to have one, novelty wore off pretty quick, as they get older the battery is getting weaker and it wont go back to its station. Also after each use you have to clean the dust bin and brushes and to me that was a big pain in the ass, for all the time you have to maintain that thing you can have the whole house vacuumed with a normal vacuum cleaner. Just save your self all the hassle and get a good vacuum cleaner like a miele C2.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:00 PM

Default we liked the convenience but the technology is not there yet!mn

We had 4 or 5 Roombas and Neatos over 5 years. Same problem with all they self destructed in just over a year with daily use. We called the final spin the great circle of death for they would come out from the station and spin around but wouldn't go vacuum anymore and couldn't go back to the base. We were lucky 3 were from costco (2 year warranty) and one was from Amazon and went into the death spin within the first 10 months.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:05 PM

The main floor of our home is hard surfaces. We use the roomba for a light clean every few days. Normally, we turn it on when we leave the house. We are on our 2nd. We like it.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:13 PM

we bought one from Canadian Tire a few years back, we had three cats and two dogs in our house. With Laminate flooring upstairs this thing worked great to pick up all the little tuffs of hair and cleaning of the machine only took a short time...the wife loved it, so I did as well!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM

We have a neato robotics going on 5 years now. "R2" Does 6 distinct rooms each day on a single charge and goes home jammed full of hair and dirt making me feel like some kind of high tech jed clampet. We replace the battery pack each year as by the time he has run 300 charge cycles his battery is weak and a recharge is required to complete the upstairs each day. My dog hates him and he likes to eat charging cords left on the floor. Absolutely love r2. Does much more work around the house than my 2 teenagers combined.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The main floor of our home is hard surfaces. We use the roomba for a light clean every few days. Normally, we turn it on when we leave the house. We are on our 2nd. We like it.
Better not run it when not home if you have indoor pets....our lab had an upset stomach....roomba found the splatter she left and worked it all over the kitchen/living room area before the battery died, very dedicated to an area that is not cleanI laugh now but then I gagged at the stench and the mess....

To the OP great little machines, first one lasted eight years, this one is on year two, run every day, hand vacuum once a week.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 AM

Dogs are in kennel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Better not run it when not home if you have indoor pets....our lab had an upset stomach....roomba found the splatter she left and worked it all over the kitchen/living room area before the battery died, very dedicated to an area that is not cleanI laugh now but then I gagged at the stench and the mess....

To the OP great little machines, first one lasted eight years, this one is on year two, run every day, hand vacuum once a week.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Thank you for your replies people, guess I'll give it a swing.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Thank you for your replies people, guess I'll give it a swing.
Buy it from Costco. Typically the best price and you can return it if you ever need to.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Buy it from Costco. Typically the best price and you can return it if you ever need to.
Costco does not sell the neato robotics do they? The roombas just randomly bounce around. The neato has lidar it maps each room with and follows an efficient path to cover all of each room. A stair sensor. No electronic gates required. Just vacuums my whole upstairs each day.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:50 AM

They work but I don't think they can replace the upright vacs. We've been using Roomba for quite some time now, and they seemed to be doing a pretty decent cleaning. It does good cleaning on carpet, but can be a bit of a hassle sometimes when it gets stuck and it the wires up. You might want to read further about it yourself, and maybe explore other options as well, since it can be a bit noisy most of the time.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Same thing happened to us. It was horrible