Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 PM

Default Best Dog for Pheasants - Lab or Pointer?

Been thinking about this lately. For the Average Joe which type of dog do you think is more productive for pheasants a lab or a pointer? I know that pointers can cover more ground, but they are often confounded by running birds, some bust birds out of range if they are not steady, and many don't like the thick stuff. While on the other hand labs don't cover the same amount of ground.

My experience is limited to pointing dogs, but I remember back in the 80s when I would go every year with a bunch of field trialers down to Rolling Hills for a week, my shorthairs would have raw, raw bellies. While from time to time, I would see guys with labs sending their dogs into the thickest stuff imaginable, and putting up the wily wild roosters.

I am sure many would be interested in hearing from guys who have hunted pheasants with both what type of dog they feel is most productive.

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 PM

Had 2 labs and a GSH, short hair is my pick all day long. X100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Best Dog for Pheasants - Lab or Pointer?

Wirehaired pointers I’ve found are one of the best all round upland and waterfowl dogs. They are little more robust then shorthairs. However, regardless of breed they should be field prep. My gwp will run tells his pads bleed and wear off. He has done a lot of hunting at a pheasant lodge down south with short hair and Britney’s . They all have their perks and faults. But with training a lot of breeds unfamiliar to pheasant habitat so well. Friend of mine has a Chesapeake and does fairly well. Which ever you decide to go with you continuous training will be the difference, given the natural drive of a upland bird dog.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Hard to beat a pointer on upland. Hunted with labs on wild roosters, a well trained pointer has them beat.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Banned

I sure like those labs. A pointer would probably get more birds though
Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Smile It all depends on you!

If all you do is hunt Pheasants a pointing dog is your best bet. If you mainly hunt water fowl and are young enough to keep up with a Lab hunting pheasants, you will love your lab.

If you hunt both about equally a versatile dog has been designed with you in mind. There are 33 recognized breeds that "do it all" and as you all know some breeds are better at it than others,

It is not the dog's fault, a white short haired dog would have a tough time in an Alberta winter, my dogs would find the heat in Texas too much to cope with.

So the correct answer is that it depends on the hunter and what and how he or she hunts.

There are good dogs in every breed, BUT YOU NEED TO TRAIN THEM!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 PM

My father trailed and hunted with dogs for over 5 decades .
He used to say that any dog will do for a gun dog as long as it's a black lab!
I've hunted over all kinds of dogs , flushers, pointers , good and bad .
I have come to the conclusion that I love hunting birds with dogs and don't care what breed the dog is as long as I can work with it .
Cat
Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My father trailed and hunted with dogs for over 5 decades .

He used to say that any dog will do for a gun dog as long as it's a black lab!

I've hunted over all kinds of dogs , flushers, pointers , good and bad .

I have come to the conclusion that I love hunting birds with dogs and don't care what breed the dog is as long as I can work with it .

Cat

Have a point ( no pun intended) half the fun is watching them work

Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Default The one that works best for you!

Too many variables to answer this question. I have had potential buyers come looking at labs and goldens and steered them to a pointer. One was disabled and I could not see him keeping up to a flushing dog, loading his gun and firing at a rising rooster within range. I have seen so many variations in both labs and pointers that getting a quality one is half the battle with so many backyard breeders whose soul purpose is to produce puppies with little regard to field ability or health clearances. Seen several labs and goldens with no interest in birds, water and not really much "desire" to retrieve when it got to be work instead of the fun puppy retrieves.

Varies on how good of a trainer the individual is that is buying the dog for many just assume an electric collar will make up for the lack of time, training and knowledge.
Have seen pointers "blink" a dead bird lying in plain sight because they had no interest in a bird that is already dead. Have seen a few GSP's that live to retrieve waterfowl. I dont want a dog ranging 2-300 yards from me but many do feel covering large tracts of ground is efficient. I like retrievers that search every square foot of cover for a bird like a vacuum cleaner. Labs goldens and chessie generally handle cold water retrieves best. Pointers will probably find as many birds but if dropped in heavy cover (seen many cattail refusals) may or may not retrieve them. I have seen GWP so stubborn they hunted by themselves for themselves. I have seen Drahtaars that stayed under a 100 yards and genuinely seemed to be a partner with the hunter/owner.
Tollers came up and yes they were developed in Canada to "toll" birds to bring them within range. Never seen one finish a field trail and all I have seen are marginal to moderate ability hunters and retrievers. Cant pit a 35 pound toller against a 70 pound lab in a goose blind. Goldens generally have better noses than labs but the coat takes extra care and finding a good field golden can be challenging. having a back yard breeder tell you all labs can hunt and retrieve is generally a good indication to run away as fast as you can.

Sorry to write a book but the question cannot be answered with too many variables in both dogs and hunters.
Pick the best combination for your style from a reputable breeder with a written guarantee on health and suitabililty for purpose. Tell the breeder what you want they are in the best position to know their dogs capability and fitting into your home and hunting style.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM

This is still a good thread though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Lots of different dogs with very different personalities and traits out there. Be nice to have one for each type of the hunting that they are best suited for, but, in most cases somewhat impractical. Some will surprise you with how versatile they are, even though that really isn't supposed to be what they do, others are knuckleheads with a one track mind. A whole lot of that can also be the person training the dog. I've made my mistakes in training mine, he isn't perfect, but, I have a lot of fun with him and enjoy the time I have with him. Still a work in progress and always will be, never stop learning about them. I like the challenge of trying to outsmart them and getting them to do your will, making them think they thought of it themselves. Seeing them turn on the hunt mode and watching them do their thing, is a wonder in itself.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 PM

To clarify so that I'm not misunderstood, yes, I firmly believe a well bred, well trained Springer is the best way to go for someone who primarily hunts pheasants. Having said that, I truly love pretty much all dogs. Shoot, I even like those little yappy lap dogs. I've owned many different breeds. Growing up my Dad was a "Hound Man". We ran hounds on coons, rabbits, etc. I've had Chessies, English Setters, a Gorden Setter, and of course the Springers. I have friends and family members who have Labs, Golden Retrievers, etc. and around here cow dogs dominate (Heelers, border collies, etc.), as I'm sure they do in Alberta as well. I have a friend who hunts pheasants with a mutt that appears to be part border collie and who knows what else, but they have a lot of fun and kill a lot of roosters. I like them all...

The bottom line is to get a dog you'll have fun with. Yes, I'm convinced that a Springer is the ultimate pheasant dog, but if a person prefers a pointing breed, a lab, or whatever breed catches your eye, go for it. You'll have fun regardless of whatever breed you decide on. It goes without saying (or should) to research the breed and research the breeders and make sure you're getting a pup with all the health clearances, etc. You're going to have a dog for an average of 12 to 14 years (hopefully), so be sure to do your homework!!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Looks like a good flushing dog to me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM

What a cutie- picked a name yet?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
What a cutie- picked a name yet?
Chief.

Last edited by sns2; 02-22-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Chief.
Not exactly politically correct these days.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not exactly politically correct these days.
My son and I went through the names of all the major league sports teams. We settled on Chief (Kansas City Chiefs) and King (LA Kings). I hate the Kings cuz Pocklington sold Gretzky there. So, Chief it is!