Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Hornady sst bullets?

Has anyone used the SST bullets on a critter like a moose or elk. Just wondering how they stand up, what weight retention is like? I have a load worked up for my 7mm-08, with 139 grain sst and a mv of 2680fps. Just wondering if I shuold use them for elk or save them for deer.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM

I had the same question, my thoughts are that they would be great for deer and smaller but I would not use them for moose or elk. jmo.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM
sheephunter

My experience has been very poor weight retention and lots of pieces but they do kill.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 PM

I think it's something like this

SST = Nosler Balistic Tip
Interbond = Nosler Accubond = bonded ballistic tip

So the plain sst's are for the energy dump folks like most of the BT's
Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Like gramps I believe they are appropriate for deer sized animals and do a great job. Unfortuantely we had a grizzly encounter near our elk hunt last year so I stopped carrying them and loaded up some nosler partitions for both elk and "just in case". Found the SST to be very accurate in my 30-06 and fortunately the partition had same BC so point of impact did not change.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Gone Hunting

I shoot SST in multiple calibers as my practice bullet and due to the fact that ballistically they are very close to my go to hunting bullet Barnes TTSX.

After shooting 139 gr SST from 7 MM STW at 3450 ft/sec MV and picking up 1/2 a deer only on a couple occasions after poor placed shots (moving deer and my poor judgement) I've decided to use them for target practice and finishing head shots on game.

Same load was responsible for very quick kill on 100y broadside shot at big WT with entry hole fist size and no exit and complete fragmentation.

Would I use 7 mm 139 gr SST at 2860 ft/sec on Elk ? NO

I would like to have solid premium bullet as I try to eliminate voluntary lead intake from my diet and going to light for game bullet requires tougher bullet construction.
Nosler E-Tip, Hornady GMX, Barnes TSX and TTSX would be my choice with TTSX beeing my personal fav.

Andrew
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM

My father and I have used them on Moose and Deer..had great results,my father shot a 800 pound bull moose dropping it where it stood useing a 308 win 150gr hornady sst lightmags..the exit hole was about 4
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Sst

I hows everyone? I'm new to the forum and look forward to chatting, learning and sharing experiences with you all. I'm from NC, so hope you dont mind.
About 3 weeks ago I shot a doe whitetail at about 45 yards out of my 30-06 topped with 150 grain SSTs and the results were good. I am pushing them at a chronoed 2975 fps so they are zipping along fairly well. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder and exited with about a 1 1/2 inch hole on the far side. There was heart matter on the exit side of the ground. The doe ran about 40 yards, which suprised me as I knew I had a good hit on her. I heard her fall and looked for the blood trail. The trail was massive, and after skinning her got to look at the terminal performance of this round. To be honest with you at first I thought at the velocity I was pushing and the short range that there might be some bullet blow up, but wasnt none at all. The damage to her heart was impressive. Literally half of her heart was gone. Looked like someone took a saw to it. If any of you are intrested, I can email some pictures of the deers heart to show you what the bullet did, but knowing what I know now, I feel comfortable shooting the bullet at short and longer ranges. Let me know if you would like me to email you the pictures. E.J.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Banned

^^^^ Good morning and welcome aboard ecellitti. You won't have to send me a picture as my brother's WT buck was taken 2 days ago with a 139gr. Interlock at nearly 400 yds. These are going about the same muzzle velocity as yours and they are basically the same bullet without the polymer tip. The heart was sliced in half, complete pass thru with a quarter, maybe loonie (our coin dollar) size exit hole. Deer was dead but didn't know it and walked maybe 15 yards. He was a 4x4 (8 point by your count), not a huge rack, but a pig of a body. I was quite impressed by the results at that range.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Sst

Gitrdun,
Thanks for the welcome. I have been reloading the 165 grain Interlock as well but havent had the chance to use them on any game yet. I didnt realize that the SST and the Interlock were basicly the same bullet until the other day. When I get back home from Korea I will probably order some more of the SSTs both in 150 and 165 grain as they both shoot very well out my 30-06. I think though that what I will change with them is the powder. Will try some RL17 instead of IMR 4064, as I have been using the latter for years. The SST seems to be a good bullet for the price. Its going to be my go to bullet for now.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

used 139 sst from 7-08 on barren ground caribou, worked great
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecellitti View Post
Gitrdun,
Thanks for the welcome. I have been reloading the 165 grain Interlock as well but havent had the chance to use them on any game yet. I didnt realize that the SST and the Interlock were basicly the same bullet until the other day. When I get back home from Korea I will probably order some more of the SSTs both in 150 and 165 grain as they both shoot very well out my 30-06. I think though that what I will change with them is the powder. Will try some RL17 instead of IMR 4064, as I have been using the latter for years. The SST seems to be a good bullet for the price. Its going to be my go to bullet for now.
I imagine that you're going to swap IMR4064 for RL17 because you're not happy with the grouping?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Check out this Hornady discussion/pictures...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=74011
Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I hows everyone? I'm new to the forum and look forward to chatting, learning and sharing experiences with you all. I'm from NC, so hope you dont mind.
About 3 weeks ago I shot a doe whitetail at about 45 yards out of my 30-06 topped with 150 grain SSTs and the results were good. I am pushing them at a chronoed 2975 fps so they are zipping along fairly well. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder and exited with about a 1 1/2 inch hole on the far side. There was heart matter on the exit side of the ground. The doe ran about 40 yards, which suprised me as I knew I had a good hit on her. I heard her fall and looked for the blood trail. The trail was massive, and after skinning her got to look at the terminal performance of this round. To be honest with you at first I thought at the velocity I was pushing and the short range that there might be some bullet blow up, but wasnt none at all. The damage to her heart was impressive. Literally half of her heart was gone. Looked like someone took a saw to it. If any of you are intrested, I can email some pictures of the deers heart to show you what the bullet did, but knowing what I know now, I feel comfortable shooting the bullet at short and longer ranges. Let me know if you would like me to email you the pictures. E.J.
My take on your situation is that there's no doubt that the sst would be effective at 40 yrds on a heart shot deer. Did the bullet go between the ribs? Even if it hit the rib I think deer ribs are relatively soft. Hitting a moose/elk shoulder would probably render less than ideal results with that bullet.
My take would be go with interbonds instead of sst's. BC may be less but insignificant for hunting purposes.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM

I've had less than stellar results with this bullet in this chambering. back to the 30-06 next year if I don't find a deal on a 338 Win -Mag.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM

I have shot a moose, a sheep and half a dozen deer with a 150grain SST in my .270win. I personally find it to be the best preformance out there for the price. I was only able to recover one of the bullets after firing but it was nicley mushroomed with only 100ish grains left to it. Ultimatly if you've worked out a load that you're shooting well and can properly place the shot with it should be fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM

I was just wanting to confirm that they would penatrate far enough to take out the lungs and/or heart. Did not want them to wound and not kill the animal. I try to take only sure shot at the vitals, and do not shoulder shoot any of my game, just a personal thing. I prefer to put the bullet throught the ribs and into the boiler room, probably due to the fact that I started off hunting with a bow. This has deffinatly give me some food for thought and I appreciate all the insite that has been shared. Thanks for all the advise and who know after useing the sst's on a deer and seeing how they preform. I may just end up switching to the interbounds anyways.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 AM

Default Sst

Mountainguy,

It didnt hit rib on entry but did on exit. It was a good shot just behind the the left shoulder on the doe. I dont know how it would have reacted if it hit a shoulder at that range, as it may have done something differently but anyways its not like the deer here are anywhere as big as they are in your neck of the woods. I have read quite abit about the SST but dont always believe what I hear until seeing the results for myself, you know what I mean? E.J.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Mountainguy,

It didnt hit rib on entry but did on exit. It was a good shot just behind the the left shoulder on the doe. I dont know how it would have reacted if it hit a shoulder at that range, as it may have done something differently but anyways its not like the deer here are anywhere as big as they are in your neck of the woods. I have read quite abit about the SST but dont always believe what I hear until seeing the results for myself, you know what I mean? E.J.
I hear ya...
I agree that bullet will do a good job everytime.....thats everytime the shooter can part the ribs. If always shooting at reasonably close ranges, or ranges that the shooter is effective in, then that bullet would work for deer,moose and elk !!
I shoot a moose a 1.5 weeks ago at 300 yrds that was feeding in some willows. By the time I got my rifle up and on my rest it had turned and started to walk back into the bush. I hit it a little far back and the bullet went in below the spine just below the backstrap in front of the hip, angling at about 45' quartering away.
The moose went about thirty yards and piled up dead.
I was using 180gr. interbonds out of my 300wsm.
I just dont know that a sst bullet would have done the same job. Possibly but questionable.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 AM

Default Sst

Mountainguy,

Yeah, I dont know either if I would use an SST on a big critter like a moose. Its not like we have anything that big in North Carolina any ways. If I were to ever get the chance to hunt up north for moose or elk, I would go with something that was a little tougher. For Mule deer I would think that the SST would be tough enough, but then again looking at some of those things on this site, that might make me throw the question mark in the air. You know really the only problem I have had with the SST was with seating them in the case and getting consistant OALs. The last time I used them, I had to seat the bullet a little longer and work each one down until they were right. It was taking me so long that once I was finished with that box, I ordered the 165 gr Interlock and didnt have that problem anymore. Was thinking it was that plastic tip giving some as I was seating the bullet. Accuracy with them has been very good though. E.J.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Your seating die should be touching the tip of your sst or any other bullet.
I would take your die apart and see infact if the tip is touching if it is
drill a small hole a little deeper in it.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it says right on the back of the Hornady box that the sst is rated for deer and not the larger animals. Just puttin that out there. that was on a box of 30-06 150's
Old 11-22-2023, 05:39 PM

reviving an old thread.

I have 150gr trophy coppers for elk locally, where they are typically shot within 30yds. I'd prefer no to use a copper bullet on a sheep at 600yds.

Has anyone used the 308 150gr sst out to 600yds on a sheep?

I'd prefer to not buy a new rifle and new ammo just to be able to shoot a sheep at long distance if such a shot was required.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:57 PM

Great revive of an old thread!

Just a guess, but I don’t think many out there have shot sheep, leave alone a sheep at 600yds with a 308 using 150gr SST.

The SST is a relatively frangible bullet that is very adequate for sheep when pushed at reasonable impact velocity (I’ll say between 1800 and 2900fps upon impact).

Sheep are no harder to kill than deer, and so you are fine in that regard.

At 600yds I see two potential issues:
- You might be running low on velocity by 600yd if fired out of a 308
- (don’t mean to sound judgy) but you need to be very certain of your wind dope, elevation, angulation and steadiness before you fling lead at a sheep at 600yds. Many are totally capable of this shot under good conditions, but the only way to know your limit is through practice.

If you are looking to maximize range out of your 308, I’d look closer at the Hornady ELDX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
reviving an old thread.

I have 150gr trophy coppers for elk locally, where they are typically shot within 30yds. I'd prefer no to use a copper bullet on a sheep at 600yds.

Has anyone used the 308 150gr sst out to 600yds on a sheep?

I'd prefer to not buy a new rifle and new ammo just to be able to shoot a sheep at long distance if such a shot was required.