Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
So according to a few of you and your minus players equals no good then I must conclude that none of you have any interest in Taylor Hall on your team when he becomes available in a few months. After all he is a -37 over his Career and his first few seasons did not look that good.
Good choice of players. How many times has he been in the playoffs ? Why is he getting traded again ? Score a goal on a power play every game and you have 82 goals. Get 2 goals scored against you on even strength every game and your Team loses 2-1 but your an 82 goal guy that’s going to get paid for that ! No thanks, Brian Burke can pound sand ! We will just agree to disagree.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Good choice of players. How many times has he been in the playoffs ? Why is he getting traded again ? Score a goal on a power play every game and you have 82 goals. Get 2 goals scored against you on even strength every game and your Team loses 2-1 but your an 82 goal guy that’s going to get paid for that ! No thanks, Brian Burke can pound sand ! We will just agree to disagree.
Would you prefer to use Jeff Petry -101 or Jonathan Drouin -41 ?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Would you prefer to use Jeff Petry -101 or Jonathan Drouin -41 ?
Again ! How many playoff games have those 2 played ?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
But, but, Buicks are supposed to be the most reliable car a person can buy.
I'm sorry facts got in the way of your opinion.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Very important stat ! If your a minus player in the 1st few years of your career, your done. If you have a bad year or 2 after a successful 3 or 4 it’s tolerated. If your whole team is a minus individually or as a team, your losers plain and simple. One guy can get away with it, but saying it’s a bogus stat because Burke said so is ridiculous. Minus players are losers !!!

Next to meaningless stat. Too dependent on quality of competion, linemates, and situational play. Player A jumps onto the ice during a line change with the puck going the other way on an odd man rush, goal, picks up a minus even though he wasn't involved in the play. Player B does his job, a linemate coughs it up resulting in a goal. Boom. Another minus.

It's more of a team stat and goal differential there plays a big role.

+- is up there with the goalie GAA stat. Means very little.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Next to meaningless stat. Too dependent on quality of competion, linemates, and situational play. Player A jumps onto the ice during a line change with the puck going the other way on an odd man rush, goal, picks up a minus even though he wasn't involved in the play. Player B does his job, a linemate coughs it up resulting in a goal. Boom. Another minus.

And this happens to each player, how many times a year ? How about player A jumps onto the ice as the play is going the other way and his team scores ? It’s not a good thing to be a minus player is it ? I learned much differently.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I don’t put much stock in goaltending gaa and svp....if you have defence that force shots from way out it will reflect on the stats. As compared to say a heavily rookie efence roster giving the other team quality shots....it’s too much variables. Or a team that takes a lot of penalties and leaves their goalie hanging to dry.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm sorry facts got in the way of your opinion.

2019 JD Power ratings show the top 3 reliable as Hyundai, Genesis, and Kia. NO mention of Buick in the top 10.

2018 JDP ratings shows top 5 as Lexus, Porsche, Lincoln, Toyota, Mercedes.

2019 Consumer Reports shows the top 1-5 as Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, Porsche, and Genesis.

Perhaps you were looking at the 1946 ratings?

Or possibly your understanding of these rankings doesn't include the Fact that 10 ratings lists will produce 10 different variations, the only major outlier being that Toyota and Lexus are always near the top.

Back to Google search KW. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for eventually.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Math seems to be hard for some folks.... I also love how the Flames made the Oilers pay the bonus and then make the trade. Smart move. As was explained here before. We traded a under performing Buick for a tractor. We can not compare the 2. I am happy that JN is gone. he was frustrating to watch. At least Lucic brings some excitement and fan loyalty. Seems like a win for both sides. Unless your a Oil fan. Then its all about how your new Buick is faster off the line than our JD tractor. Congrats!!
Yep !! Flames fan would love to give LOOCH a "participation" ribbon every night
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
2019 JD Power ratings show the top 3 reliable as Hyundai, Genesis, and Kia. NO mention of Buick in the top 10.

2019 Consumer Reports shows the top 1-5 as Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, Porsche, and Genesis.

Or possibly your understanding of these rankings doesn't include the Fact that 10 ratings lists will produce 10 different variations, the only major outlier being that Toyota and Lexus are always near the top.

Back to Google search KW. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for eventually.
AHAAAA!!!!!
Not one John Deere.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
And this happens to each player, how many times a year ? How about player A jumps onto the ice as the play is going the other way and his team scores ? It’s not a good thing to be a minus player is it ? I learned much differently.

You're a Habs fan though. Should be used to minus figures.

Zack Kassian and Matt Benning have the best + - numbers on the Oilers. They must be better players than McDavid and Draisaitl.

The above 2 mentioned aren't even in the top 70. Alex Ovechkin is a -3. Whatta Loser bum.
Matt Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes, Sydney Crosby, Jamie Benn, Elias Pettersson, Mark Scheifele, Elias Lindholm, Giordano, etc etc.....all loser minus players. SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

To be honest I don't think you learned as much as you think you did.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
AHAAAA!!!!!
Not one John Deere.

But we both know, if they made automobiles....they would be awesome. And green.

Richard Rawlings would love them.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Zack Kassian and Matt Benning have the best + - numbers on the Oilers. They must be better players than McDavid and Draisaitl.

The above 2 mentioned aren't even in the top 70. Alex Ovechkin is a -3. Whatta Loser bum.
Matt Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes, Sydney Crosby, Jamie Benn, Elias Pettersson, Mark Scheifele, Elias Lindholm, Giordano, etc etc.....all loser minus players. SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

Burn....
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Whatever you say boss, these facts are pretty easy to look up, just like I said...

I'm available to discuss this in the actual car thread, just saying....

Last edited by Trochu; 12-02-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hRPy-pDsY

Holy what heck are you boys talking about???????????????
Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Easier to just say Neal can still put the puck in the net. Lucic can't.
Do you think Flames picked Looch up for his scoring ability?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Yep !! Flames fan would love to give LOOCH a "participation" ribbon every night
The man has had some decent chances to get one. I hope he gets his 1st at home , cause the Dome will go crazy. Fans here think he's great.
To be honest I enjoy watching him play.
Now I'm sure your going to all disagree, so GO!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Do you think Flames picked Looch up for his scoring ability?
According to most Flames fans it was for his try and passion wasn’t it ?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
try and passion ?
Darn near spell participation out of that....
Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
The man has had some decent chances to get one. I hope he gets his 1st at home , cause the Dome will go crazy. Fans here think he's great.
To be honest I enjoy watching him play.
If the paying fans like him, that's all that really matters. Like you said, he wasn't brought in for his scoring abilities. I believe all the trash talk towards him and some fans is cause they LOVED raggin on him when he was an Oiler (and rightfully so, he was/is a bum) but now that he's a Flame he's not so bad. Some team red fans had to eat some crow on that one (and rightfully so) but seriously, how much longer are we gonna beat that dead horse? Think it's long past time for both fan bases to pick a new topic, this one's been beat to death.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Your picking 1 year as I already mentioned that earlier. Crosby over his career is a plus 182. I’m guessing similar for the others but no time to search right now.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM

The +/- stat has changed in recent years and the major reason is that coaches are now playing top line against top line. Rarely is there a team that plays their checking line (formerly the 3rd line) against the other teams number 1. This means that your top players are scoring the most, but they are also getting scored on the most
Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 AM

I think some of you are looking at the +/- stat in an attempt to determine if a player is "good" but I don't necessarily believe that's primary what it assesses. Isn't it more of a tool to determine a players, if not a line's, defensive responsibility vs offensive contribution at 5 on 5 over an extended period?

If you want to cherry pick stats though, look at the guys who have the best +/- in history, Larry Robinson, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Clarke, Denis Potvin, Nicklas Lidstrom, Guy Lafeur, Scott Stevens, Mike Bossy, Stan Mikita, Jaromir Jagr, Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey, etc., etc. Some of the greatest to ever play the game with each and every one of them in the Hall of Fame. On the other end of the spectrum, we have Bob Stewart, Don Lever, Gary Croteau, Dave Babych, Leo Boivin, Guy Charron, Larry Cahan, etc., etc., all -200 guys over their career, none of whom I've ever heard of.

I don't necessarily think its a bad stat, just like all the others, it needs to be taken into context (Cheechoo scoring 56 in 05-06 does not make him the best player in the NHL, context).
Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Plus/Minus is an old stat the fans can easily identify with cause they understand it. It was marginally replaced by Corsi then by scoring chances for and against. With the new puck and player tracking that the league will be introducing it will further improve on all of the previous. We will be able to see a players position relative to the goal scored for or against. Also how many grade A chances a player has and gives up relative to time on ice, player vs player stats, line vs line stats, and probably a pile of other info we can’t even dream up. All that being said I don’t think anything replaces a good coach knowing the value of his players in any given situation. Are you trying to close out a game and shut it down play line 2/3 more. Are you down a goal and need to score play 1/2. Are you up by 5 and want to rest players play 3/4. All these different scenarios affect +/-, corsi, scoring chances per 60. Many stats can be very misleading if not sorted out by knowledgeable coaching staff.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM

We need a game! All this plus minus talk is giving me a headache!

BW
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
We need a game! All this plus minus talk is giving me a headache!

BW
Hang in there one more day !!!! The Sens should be interesting see if the Oil can bring their A game to a C- team. Don’t like losing to the bottom teams. Kings are next after that. Maybe we could put three wins together for a streak !!!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
(Cheechoo scoring 56 in 05-06 does not make him the best player in the NHL, context).
Correct. Cheechoo scoring 56 in a season makes joe Thornton the best at the time. Lol
I forgot about him. The absolute meaning of one hit wonder.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:13 AM

Big game today boys. Big big game!

Big game.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Probably the biggest game for the rest of the season hey?

If you can win this one, the banner raising ceremony next year will be pretty special. For the first time in over a decade, the Oilers played a big/meaningful game in December.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM

What's the press conference in 20 minutes for?

Hope it's not more someone called me a name in the 90's or put his hand on my shoulder while stepping down from the bench stuff.