Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM

get a spyderco endura and a fallkniven DC4 sharpener
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Another option is R Murphy

I purchased one and then picked up another 2 knives in an upgraded handle for my young sons for the future. Good value. Follow the link.

http://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/p...utmk=218576025
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Tough to beat a Havalon and a good fixed blade......they compliment each other quite well
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Grohman.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I have a couple of them, I have a model 7 with the leather handle and a model 15 pilot survival knife with the stag handle. My next will be the model 125 probably with a custom wood grain handle that they offer. They say they're the closest thing you can get to a Randall knife without the three year wait or the $800 price tag. I ordered mine online and it only took a couple weeks to get it in.

http://www.greatlakesurvival.com/Bla...Model_125.html

PS, if you want to buy one let me know because I think I found the cheapest place in north America to buy them.
Randall's are closer to a 5 year wait, but cost no where near $800 for most models. If you buy it off eBay, yeah you will pay big bucks. Mine i bought direct, well all but one.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleebs View Post
CUTCO. They stay sharper longer than any knife I've ever used. Can be a pain in the ass to get sharpened but are still your best bang for your buck in my opinion.
Chapel Knives for Sale;

I currently have sheath knives in the chapel; Cutco 90%, Knife of Alaska "Wolverine" 99%, Lapplander 75 90%, Swedish Frost 80% a folding Kershaw 90%, folding Spyderco 90%, Ruko 90% for a lot cheaper than you will get them anywhere else.

FYI;
The first Tuesday of every month the Chapel at the Calgary International Airport has a great sale...see the ad in AOF "Hunting Items For Sale".
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM

For $100 I'd put together a kit of a Buck 110 folder and a Havalon for all the skinning. If I somehow "knew" I would not have to do any bush craft (cutting ropes to haul game, build a fire to warm up before the haul out of the bush, etc) I'd carry just the Havalon. Both are great quality tools, yet both are reasonably disposable if you forget them on the trail somewhere.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM

HAVALON Knives the only knife to have. Get the small one and big one.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM

I am a gerber fan. Last week I field dressed skinned and quartered my BC bull moose.

Biggmac
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM

This is what I use for Big Game and its all I need for gutting and skinning. Holds an edge good to due to the hard steel.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...prod79170.html
Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 PM

Anyone can purchase production knives. Heck, I still have many never used. But personally after you use a custom knife, you will will notice a difference. Custom knives have that personal attention to detail and finesse that production knives do not. Try one from anyone of the many fine custom knife builders in your local area.

My thoughts...

Dennis
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 AM

For small critters (birds being my experience), I have to say that I love my flat ground spyderco delica in VG10. Works great and the combination of a plastic handle and stainless blade make it easy to keep clean and maintain. The flat ground blade makes some of the finer work on small animals a snap. Also, the VG10 holds a good edge without being difficult to sharpen.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 AM

I'd do some research on the steel used, not just the brand. I just picked up a Buck Ergo Hunter Pro for my big game hunting. I'm not a Buck fan usually, but the Ergo Pro model uses S30V steel, whish is really high quallity. The handle fits like a glove, and the blade is perfectly curved for skinning.

Seem to be a lot of havalon fans out there. I've never used one but just seen the pictures. Having a sharp blade all the time would be great, but those blades seem awful thin and straight, with little belly, not at all like a usual knife designed for skinning. More surgical looking. Can you make nice long arcing skinning strokes or do you have to take a million little ones?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd do some research on the steel used, not just the brand. I just picked up a Buck Ergo Hunter Pro for my big game hunting. I'm not a Buck fan usually, but the Ergo Pro model uses S30V steel, whish is really high quallity. The handle fits like a glove, and the blade is perfectly curved for skinning.

Seem to be a lot of havalon fans out there. I've never used one but just seen the pictures. Having a sharp blade all the time would be great, but those blades seem awful thin and straight, with little belly, not at all like a usual knife designed for skinning. More surgical looking. Can you make nice long arcing skinning strokes or do you have to take a million little ones?
x2, one of the best knife steels out there (Stainless to boot).
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Don Stevenson knives and havalon pirantas the only two I need in the field
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaish View Post
Anyone can purchase production knives. Heck, I still have many never used. But personally after you use a custom knife, you will will notice a difference. Custom knives have that personal attention to detail and finesse that production knives do not. Try one from anyone of the many fine custom knife builders in your local area.

My thoughts...

Dennis
I agree
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
sheephunter

Puma Catamount for most of my big game hunting. Good all-round design.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Use a Gerber, had one given to me as a gift about 10 years ago and I've bought 4 more since. Didn't need them, but when I see a knife that I like and it's on special for 20 bucks there is just something in me that buys a couple just in case I lose mine and they discontinue them.

Like someone else said it's all about personal preference. I went to buy a havalon because of what I read here. Picked one up and just didn't like it. Lots of my buddies have Cutco's, borrowed one and didn't like it.

Key is find one that you like and stick to it. If you want something different, try buddies knives out first instead of wasting 100 bucks or more on a knife and finding out you dislike it.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
X3 for Grohmann as the main blade. I carry a folding Gerber on the belt everywhere I go and it's only got 6 years in so far but hoping for 60 more....
X100

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r4s.html
I have and use the #4 model and love it. I am a big fan of high carbon (not stainless) steel. Easy to sharpen and stays sharp longer. See image of just a few of my Grohmanns which I had rehandled with my moose from 2 years ago.

The Old Hickory is my boning knife. (with Homemade Sheath)
But I can't say enough about Grohmann, a hand made knife uner $100 and made in Canada.

For those who like the folding buck knife they have an option as well.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3801.html

For those who've been a paratrooper in the Canadian Armed Forces, or even in the Airborne Regiment, this Grohmann knife is standard issue to paratroupers and combat engineers and I gutted my first deer ever with one a long time ago. (FYI: I was not in the Armed Forces)
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

Plenty of options under $100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knives.jpg (72.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM

As far as custom knives www.haslinger-knives.com is in Calgary and he does great work. He rehandled my knives and did an outstanding job.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorn View Post
As far as custom knives www.haslinger-knives.com is in Calgary and he does great work. He rehandled my knives and did an outstanding job.
I don't know how I could justify a knife that cost more than all the rest of my gear including my gun combined.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacks View Post
I don't know how I could justify a knife that cost more than all the rest of my gear including my gun combined.
Maybe an excuse to upgrade your gear?

Hence all the Grohmann's in my line up.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe an excuse to upgrade your gear?

Hence all the Grohmann's in my line up.
Well I don't need an excuse for that, but a $4000 knife? I'd be afraid that I'd lose it.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

X100

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r4s.html
I have and use the #4 model and love it. I am a big fan of high carbon (not stainless) steel. Easy to sharpen and stays sharp longer. See image of just a few of my Grohmanns which I had rehandled with my moose from 2 years ago.

The Old Hickory is my boning knife. (with Homemade Sheath)
But I can't say enough about Grohmann, a hand made knife uner $100 and made in Canada.

For those who like the folding buck knife they have an option as well.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3801.html

For those who've been a paratrooper in the Canadian Armed Forces, or even in the Airborne Regiment, this Grohmann knife is standard issue to paratroupers and combat engineers and I gutted my first deer ever with one a long time ago. (FYI: I was not in the Armed Forces)
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

Plenty of options under $100
I dont believe that the Grohman is still the standad issue knife for paratroopers etc, it has now been replaced by a cheaper knife that is made in china I believe, disgusting. I've been sorely tempted by that Grohman #1 folder everytime I see one. I just cant see it being $100 better than the Buck 110 or a regular Grohman. I've seen them down to $120 a couple times and been sorely tempted, maby someday.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:23 AM

Cutco
Old 03-23-2022, 09:33 AM

Holy back from from the dead.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-23-2022, 09:44 AM

He’s been doing this to multiple threads. I don’t know what’s up. And it’s weird because he joined the forum almost 9 years ago
Old 03-23-2022, 09:52 AM

My spidey senses are tingling.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
He’s been doing this to multiple threads. I don’t know what’s up. And it’s weird because he joined the forum almost 9 years ago
He's got terrible taste in knives.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-26-2022, 02:02 AM

Default Grohmann

I picked up a #4 Grohmann with rosewood handle at a garage sale years ago and liked it so much I replaced it with a new micarta version last year. I was disappointed to discover that my old version had a 3/8 inch stock, but the new version is only 5/16. The old one has better balance and feels nicer in the hand.