Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default Repairing a Broken Tree Branch?

I was wondering if there was a right way to repair a broken tree branch. I'd like to try to save a branch that split on my apple tree. I was just going to wrap it tight with electrical tape and then wrap wire around it for strength. If there's a better or recommended way I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

The bark is the only living tissue on the branch, it is also what transports water and nutrients from the roots up to the leaves. You need to essentially re-connect the bark in order to bring the branch back to life. From your picture it looks like the branch has been hanging for a few days and has the equivalent of a scab on it. I would suggest you cut the bark back with a razor blade or something very sharp to expose live bark again, then try to get the fresh bark from both the branch and the trunk as close to each other as you possibly can. If you can get them touching that would be even better, maybe remove a bit of the wood to make this happen. I would say the odds of this branch making a recovery aren't good, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Banned

Thanks DDG. It's been a few days and the leaves on the broken branch aren't wilting yet so maybe there's enough bark attached at the bottom to keep it alive. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM

My granddad used to rub tar around the torn bark.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 PM

You can try using some wood screws and cloth strips to support the branch and some tar to seal the bark until it all heals
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM

I've actually used crazy glue to repair broken tree limbs before, although, they were not separated quite as much. Still might be worth a try if you can stabilize it enough for the glue to set.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 PM

I'd moisten both broken sections so they aren't dry,
match up both sections as best a can &wrap duct tape
around it,get 4 or so big hose clamps
(bigger then branch),find appropiate PCV sized pipe,cut in half,
hose clamp it together securely,then wrap more duct tape/cover
the fixed mess.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Dave.

That's a pretty bad break, but if the leaves are still green you MAY have a chance.

Here's what you want to do. Find an appropriate location (strongish) on both the broken limb and the same on a central stalk. Screw in an eye bolt lag screws. String a rope or preferably a cable through them and tighten to bring the broken section back into place. Secure it properly.

Then drill 2-3 holes through the injury. Install bolt stock with large washers. Tighten until they counter sink a bit. Cut bolt off flush with nut. You're done.

Pics suck, but this is my neighbour's mayday from several years ago that persists to this day.

Oh yeah, whatever you do, do NOT wrap anything around a stem. It girdles it (strangles).

Good luck!

Tree

Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
whatever you do, do NOT wrap anything around a stem. It girdles it (strangles).
I did wrap up a pine tree that broke near the top, removed
the pine needles in the way & wrapped it up,that was just
over 10yrs ago,no evidence now of any past damage.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

In my experience with apple trees the branch you pictured is finished. Cut it cleanly away and if you are lucky the remaining upright will heal enough to survive. Do not put anything on it at all including electical tape or glue and using any tar based tree paint makes every horticulturist wince in sympathy pain for the tree.

Any repairs to any tree MUST be done immediately. Once the tissues dry out there is little chance of anything surviving. Similarly any contamination of the wound is no different than contaminating a wound on a human being.

Keep in mind that all (at least in Canada) apple trees are grafted. This means that the hardy or "tough" part of the tree is the roots and the first couple of inches of truck. After that, the rest of the tree is a less hardy but productive variety. The long and short of it means that apple trees tend to have less healing and restorative powers than native or or ungrafted varieties.

If the remaining top portion fails then next year you could cut the stub back to live tissue and graft in either a piece of scion (donor) wood from the same tree or graft in a totally different variety so you would get different apples off of that branch...eventually. Two to three years at best.

I am not a horiculturist nor arbourist and my advice is based solely on my own experience with my own apple trees.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM

No one mentioned it but if you attempt repair you should also prune the branch quite severely.

The only live cells to pass moisture will be the lower hinge & you want to lessen transpiration loss as much as possible.

Make sure that the tree is well watered.

Do not girdle wrap with anything, threaded rod & nuts work ok.

Good luck, it's well worth the try.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM

you can buy some root compound rub it on the crack seal the whole thing in wax and wrap it in a good cord.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Talking

Have chainsaw , will travel
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

you can buy some root compound rub it on the crack seal the whole thing in wax and wrap it in a good cord.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Dave.

That's a pretty bad break, but if the leaves are still green you MAY have a chance.

Here's what you want to do. Find an appropriate location (strongish) on both the broken limb and the same on a central stalk. Screw in an eye bolt lag screws. String a rope or preferably a cable through them and tighten to bring the broken section back into place. Secure it properly.

Then drill 2-3 holes through the injury. Install bolt stock with large washers. Tighten until they counter sink a bit. Cut bolt off flush with nut. You're done.

Pics suck, but this is my neighbour's mayday from several years ago that persists to this day.

Oh yeah, whatever you do, do NOT wrap anything around a stem. It girdles it (strangles).

Good luck!

Tree

This... And only this

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...