Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Dave I have a feeling you did not know about this additional opportunity?

If you read what I stated I never said the "Antlerless deer tags". I said, a season with multiple tags....you made an assumption.... But I accept your apology in advance. I would never tell nor suggest to use the wrong tags for the wrong season or use a weapon that is not approved for a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not talking about "bow zone" which you already know encorporates crossbow/muzzle loader/shotgun into a season also with multiple tags. Not everyone has access to land there.

LC

Zone 248 where it overlaps Strathcona AND Leduc County you can use a crossbow for 3 WT deer, 1 may be antlered...other 2 ANTLERLESS. Between Oct 25th and Dec 7.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-25-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Dave I have a feeling you did not know about this additional opportunity?

If you read what I stated I never said the "Antlerless deer tags". I said, a season with multiple tags....you made an assumption.... But I accept your apology in advance. I would never tell nor suggest to use the wrong tags for the wrong season or use a weapon that is not approved for a season.

Zone 248 where it overlaps Strathcona AND Leduc County you can use a crossbow for 3 WT deer, 1 may be antlered...other 2 ANTLERLESS. Between Oct 25th and Dec 7.

LC
Maybe there is more X-Bow interest in the early
Parkland County "Archery Only" season than some of the crumbs provided in the later Strathcona and Leduc Counties.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Maybe there is more X-Bow interest in the early
Parkland County "Archery Only" season than some of the crumbs provided in the later Strathcona and Leduc Counties.
Maybe lobby your county to add crossbows/shotguns/muzzle loaders to coincide with the deer rut like they have done in Leduc and Strathcona? Hardly would consider that crumbs, some is better none. I would imagine the population density is very similar to Leduc and Strathcona.

LC
Old 11-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe lobby your county to add crossbows/shotguns/muzzle loaders to coincide with the deer rut like they have done in Leduc and Strathcona? Hardly would consider that crumbs, some is better none. I would imagine the population density is very similar to Leduc and Strathcona.

LC
Parkland County was open to that very idea just a few years back.... supported by F&W .There was a public meeting held (Holborn Hall) to provide input to the County from all interested parties. ABA stacked that meeting big time, by calling all members to be sure and attend...and they did... from everywhere. Gotta hand it to them, they sure came well organized with sheer numbers all the firepower they had , including Ms Remple. As a result the idea was abandoned by a then, new County manager and ABA retained their exclusive cherished early archery only domain and the rest got the crumbs. Maybe you remember that meeting.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Parkland County was open to that very idea just a few years back.... supported by F&W .There was a public meeting held (Holborn Hall) to provide input to the County from all interested parties. ABA stacked that meeting big time, by calling all members to be sure and attend...and they did... from everywhere. Gotta hand it to them, they sure came well organized with sheer numbers all the firepower they had , including Ms Remple. As a result the idea was abandoned by a then, new County manager and ABA retained their exclusive cherished early archery only domain and the rest got the crumbs. Maybe you remember that meeting.
Nope only been an ABA member for 2-3 years now, no personal knowledge of that situation at all.

LC
Old 11-25-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Nope only been an ABA member for 2-3 years now, no personal knowledge of that situation at all.

LC
The meeting is documented. I attended and what took place was almost unbelievable. Being well organized has it's merits if you want to obtain or retain something bad enough. Plenty of well known Archery Outfitters there as well .
Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 PM

The irony in pointing out the small primitive weapons zone in Strathcona county as a huge crossbow opportunity while wanting to preserve archery only seasons to compound and traditional bows province wide is not lost on me.
LC question about your camp wainwright primitive weapons season...are you using a crossbow or muzzle loader? If muzzle loader is it a iron sight flint lock or a high presision sabot with pyrodex? I guess the reason I ask is it seems odd to suggest that someone should use a crossbow when they could use a different weapon with a larger advantage.
So do you not think that the way you are looking at the crossbow to be selfish as you hunt with a compound bow yet you don't want to let others hunt with a crossbow which arguably has just as many disadvantages as advantages to the compound bow one of which seems to be the proficiency in which a cross bow is shot.
I was on your side of the fence and am closer to the middle now but I guess I had a relavation that I think the whole compound vs crossbow is hogwash.