Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2022, 09:28 AM

Default Car Valuation Sites

Just wondering what sources people are using to get an estimate for the fair value of a vehicle. I have always used VMRCanada but I see that its values are very different from the Kelly Blue Book site. Just wondering which site's values folks think are more realistic.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2022, 09:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Neither really... It varies area to area and there is no general value that can be applied so generically. I mean use it as a base line, but then you want to research what asking prices are like for similar vehicles, condition and mileage your area in the classifieds, Kijiji, Marketplace etc and then go from there. I personally always have tried to be in the realistic lower few of price range because when I sell something I want the least hassles and have it done and dusted as soon as possible. The more you ask the more tire kickers you have to deal with and that is not worth it always.

Finding that fine line of making enough, but being a good enough deal that the buyer knows it will sell fast is an art form of it's own.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-11-2022, 10:15 AM

I check similar vehicles for sale by dealers on kijiji, auto trader and independent dealer sites, usually gives you a good idea. After all, people who are in the market for that particular vehicle are viewing the same adds you are!
Old 09-11-2022, 12:02 PM

Morinji and Bob give good advice. Also remember, someone buying from you isn't paying GST so you have a 5% advantage over the dealers from the get go. Used prices are dropping so better to sell now than take too long.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:33 PM

Kellys blue book
Old 09-11-2022, 01:58 PM

I use the same places I look for vehicles for sale to evaluate the sale price of a car I have, Kijiji, Facebook, Auto Trader, and dealer sites.