Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Back tension release

Wanting to learn to use a back tension release, are they hard to learn. I've been looking to see if I can find a used one but they are hard to find. Any help would be great.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:29 AM

If you have paypal, there is always lots for sale on archerytalk.com! When just starting out, you should set up a shot trainer. And practice with it for awhile before shooting your bow. Are you thinking of hinge style, or actual tension activated? Tension activated releases have safeties built into them. However the hinge style is usually just fired by rotation, and don’t usually have a safety. They are adjustable though, and you can set them hotter, or colder. Check out YouTube, there is lots of tutorials on there. John Dudley is a great archery coach, but he shoots thumb button and tension activated. Although his techniques can be used for hinge releases as well. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Awesome thanks, I do have PayPal and I would like to try hinge style. Yeah I just want more of a surprise shot.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:03 PM

I started my journey into the world of hinges this past year. I’m a hard core trigger puncher, so I wanted to get something different that would help me with target panic. When executed properly the hinge will give you a surprise release. You can still cause the hinge to go off (punch it) by rotating your wrist. However, I do find that it helps me work on form, and proper shot execution more than a wrist strap does. I still have two wrist straps that I use for hunting, but I’ve been trying to use the hinge for practice as much as possible. Not sure I’ll make the switch for hunting. I just picture me punching myself in the face and the arrow dropping ten feet in front of me, as a result of a misfire due to an adrenaline overload. How funny would that be?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM

I've been looking at getting either the Carter Evolution or Silverback myself and would prefer to buy used. Like bowhunter said, look into John Dudley's stuff. There is a lot of useful stuff if you search for him or Nock On tv or podcast. Now, to get one of those releases here would cost me ~$300. I've seen the Evolution on archerytalk for ~$125-175 or so.

I know there is a Canadian classifieds section and the general classifieds that is mainly American sellers. Has anyone had experience buying from American sellers? There must be some that won't mind shipping north correct?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Tension releases although they take time and effort to learn and shoot, are invaluable. They are a great teaching tool and sure cure for target panic, shot anxiety and punchy triggers. I've spent a ton of money on various releases on my road to rid TP. If I could start again, I'd buck the money up front right away, and buy a Silverback release from John Dudley. Currently I have both his SB and Nock2it for hunting. Awesome releases! Good luck to you.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 AM

Default Not An Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdelipper View Post
I've been looking at getting either the Carter Evolution or Silverback myself and would prefer to buy used. Like bowhunter said, look into John Dudley's stuff. There is a lot of useful stuff if you search for him or Nock On tv or podcast. Now, to get one of those releases here would cost me ~$300. I've seen the Evolution on archerytalk for ~$125-175 or so.

I know there is a Canadian classifieds section and the general classifieds that is mainly American sellers. Has anyone had experience buying from American sellers? There must be some that won't mind shipping north correct?
I have purchase from a seller on Archerytalk with no issues. Just ensure you ask for it to be sent via USPS.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:

The Stan Element is actually better than the Carter releases, easier to adjust and more consistent.

I use a caliper but shoot it with back tension/pull through (most times ). I train "aiming" with a hydraulic Scat release.

LC
Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info Lefty. I was not aware of the Stan Element but after doing a bit of reading here it definitely has some nice features that might be good for someone learning to use a pure tension release for the first time.

I'll have to get out to one of the shops here in town to see if I can get my hands on one to try.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 AM

I found myself struggling with target panic so I bought a hinge to practice with a Scott Long Horn I struggled to shoot that well found myself more rotating the hand and dropping my elbow then pulling through. Recently bought a true back tension a Nock On silver back it took a lot to get used to but I really like it. Only one way to get it to go off and that is to pull through the shot I don't think I would hunt with it haven't used it a lot yet but a lot of people do so have to see come next fall how I feel about it.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I've bought several things from US guys on AT, including a release. I'd say most will ship to Canada but you will have to foot the bill. Other than that it works great, lots of good deals even after exchange.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM

Not a back tension or hinge but I just picked up a Stan sx3. I had always shot with a wrist strap and definitely would punch at the trigger. I'm loving the thumb release. I have it set quite cold while I get used to it but it sure has a nice feel
through the shot than the wrist strap, if used properly it will go off while pulling through and getting a surprise shot.