Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Moose Meat Processing Question

So i have a question about moose meat i have in my freezer from this past season. Its cut up pieces currently frozen. I want to grind the meat up for jerky, burgers, tacos etc there's probably like 70lbs in various smaller bags.

Would it be okay to thaw the meat, grind it up & put it into 2lb bags and re freeze it for future uses??
Old 02-23-2018, 03:30 PM

If it was fresh and not half rotten when you froze it the first time it's fine.
If you don't have enough refrigeration space pack it into a cooler (with the ice), move the pieces around every few hours and let it thaw just until you can cut through it with a knife ....still half frozen is what you want. Then grind it and re freeze pronto
Old 02-23-2018, 04:01 PM

absolutely 100% fine. I would strongly suggest going to your local grocery store and picking up 12-15lb of beef fat. some grocery counters charge, some give it for free. Moose on its own is too lean. 10-15% fat content is perfect. puts it somewhere in the lean-extra lean category for beef burger. Some people will do straight moose and I personally don't like it. Taste isn't as good, its very dry to eat, and its a buggar to cook with.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 PM

Totally fine

Thats how I’ve done it for years
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
absolutely 100% fine. I would strongly suggest going to your local grocery store and picking up 12-15lb of beef fat. some grocery counters charge, some give it for free. Moose on its own is too lean. 10-15% fat content is perfect. puts it somewhere in the lean-extra lean category for beef burger. Some people will do straight moose and I personally don't like it. Taste isn't as good, its very dry to eat, and its a buggar to cook with.
X2 .. Be sure to Beef fat, not Pork. Pork fat does not freeze nearly as well as beef fat for extended periods
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
X2 .. Be sure to Beef fat, not Pork. Pork fat does not freeze nearly as well as beef fat for extended periods
I have used pork fat before without an issue. The key is to vacuum seal. I have had elk and moose burger with pork fat last close to a year without any issue.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 AM

Yes it's fine. Like others have said, it's a good idea to grind when it's half thawed. I've done lots of moose patties this way.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:21 PM

Totally fine as mentioned. We mix our game burger with pork hamburger when we go to use it. We have always done the same with beef burger.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:23 PM

Likely not in any of Canada's food guide, but I've done it many times with no issues...