Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Question Training for pheasants?

Hey all,
New to hunting and I read about the Taber pheasant festival, looks fun. I have a 12 gauge but it's original purpose was for over-curious bears. It's a winchester with a threaded barrel that came with a loudener on it I want to swap out for a proper choke.
1. What type of choke would be acceptable for pheasants?
2. What ammo would you recommend?
3. What should I work on at the range for maximum effectiveness?
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Is it a defender?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Loudener?

If you want to successfully hunt pheasants, start with a hunting shotgun with 26" or longer barrel/barrels, limited to 3 shots, and choked M for a single barrel or IC/M or IC/IM for multiple barrels.
Use #5, or #6 lead shot for hunting, and if you are a new hunter limit your shots to 30 yards or so, until you develop some wing shooting skills.
Shooting skeet or sporting clays will greatly improve. your shooting skills.
Having a good dog will greatly increase your success rate, and you won't lose the wounded birds, a wounded pheasant can run a long ways in a short time.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-21-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 PM

It's a muzzle break and the gun is a defender style with a full stock and ghost rings. The barrel is only 18" and I figure that's going to limit my effective range but I still have smashed clays with it reasonably well in the past without a choke.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Hunt what you got - no shame in that. My brother-in-law swears by using a coach gun. Conventional wisdom says you need a 28+ inch (or at least a 26 inch) barrel. But that usually means a double gun. A pump has a longer action so that gets you a bit closer.

The reason for the length is for a nice stable swing. Since you don't have the stability, I'd guess you'd be best off with as wide of choke as possible.

Pheasants are good but Ruffed Grouse are maybe as rewarding and have the legendary taste. They fall easier and stay down. 7/8 ounce of 7.5 shot is plenty.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM

Longer barrels make for a smoother swing, and a longer sighting plane , so it's easier to hit the birds. Pheasants can be tougher to kill, and wounded birds can run a long ways, or hide, so too open of a choke will result in more cripples at longer ranges.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 PM

I would recommend a different gun but that’s just my opinion. I hear Elkhunter takes everyone out. Maybe he can show you the ways of the released bird. Mod choke, #5 or #6 2 3/4 lead. Have fun...
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM

you have been given great advice in the previous posts
one more you may or may not want to consider
once you start down the road of pheasant hunting, you may never find the turn around and go back spot on the road,
then your life will change forever
next thing you'll be wanting is a great dog, then all the rest of the high fluting equipment , then you will want the true gentleman's pheasant gun the sweet 16, or a nice double 16 ,
warning don't miss that turn around on the road to the never never faw faw off land of pheasant hunting
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Dont bother with guys who try to say you need this length of barrel, have to use these chokes, and shoot this shot size.

Ive killed my fair share of pheasants with a coach gun and 7.5s from walmart. The secret is consistency.

Dont go buy cheap trap shells to practice with all year then buy prairie storm to hunt with. Practice with what you hunt.

Right now I shoot a 20ga O/U IC and Mod early in the season and shoot #6 kent 1 1/8oz field loads. Its less than $10 a box at cabelas or BPS. We take partridge, pheasants and sharptail with those loads.

Get out with a clay thrower this summer and you will be fine with that gun. Just remember bead on beak.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:15 AM

do you have a dog? that makes a huge difference. especially at the festival. I go every year with my german shorthair pointer. it's an amazing time.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:38 PM

I agree with all the posts here, a great shotgun and great dog will make a huge difference for Pheasants.
But coming from experience its not necessary to have either of those to have success and a good time. I still roll with my extremely cheap 12Ga and I just got my first bird dog a few weeks ago, so for the past 6 years my upland hunting has consisted of ALL man power. Dont be discouraged by those who say you need a dog to have any success, i hunted the Taber Festival the past 5 years and have never been skunked, and have more than once had more success than a party with a dog. im not at all trying to brag about myself here, just trying to let you know that you'll be dropping birds out there as long as you can hit em.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:57 PM

I look forward to joining in on this Taber hunt this year.. it will be interesting to do with my Drahthaar pup!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Run with what you have for now it will kill birds (upgrade if you feel like it later). I might suggest taking off the ghost ring site (you don't even need a site for wing shooting).

Shoot at the trap range so you can hit things consistently and you are good to go.

A nice light sxs 20g (my preference) that swings and points effortlessly is nice and all but not a requirement. Same goes with a bird dog nice to have but not necessary (and a bad dog is worth less than no dog in the field).
Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Dont bother with guys who try to say you need this length of barrel, have to use these chokes, and shoot this shot size.

Ive killed my fair share of pheasants with a coach gun and 7.5s from walmart. The secret is consistency.

Dont go buy cheap trap shells to practice with all year then buy prairie storm to hunt with. Practice with what you hunt.

Right now I shoot a 20ga O/U IC and Mod early in the season and shoot #6 kent 1 1/8oz field loads. Its less than $10 a box at cabelas or BPS. We take partridge, pheasants and sharptail with those loads.

Get out with a clay thrower this summer and you will be fine with that gun. Just remember bead on beak.
Where are you finding Kent 1 1/8 oz 20 gauge loads ? Or is that your late season 12 gauge load ? And the price, less than $10 a box ?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM

I say it right in the post. Cabelas and Bass Pro.

I run that load from the beginning of september until january. The only thing that changes is my chokes in december when pheasants is over and shots at huns are a little farther.

I went from a 12 to a 20. The only time I bring out my 12gauge is when I want to punish myself by carrying around a heavy hunk of metal thats uncomfotable to carry around. Usually one maybe 2 days a year. Otherwise I am carrying my 20 O/U broke over my shoulder. At under 6lbs with 2 shells in, the light weight makes it a dream to carry around all day.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Where are you finding Kent 1 1/8 oz 20 gauge loads ? Or is that your late season 12 gauge load ? And the price, less than $10 a box ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I say it right in the post. Cabelas and Bass Pro.

I run that load from the beginning of september until january. The only thing that changes is my chokes in december when pheasants is over and shots at huns are a little farther.

I went from a 12 to a 20.

This sounds like you have found 20g 1 1/8 oz #6 loads for under $10 per box (I assume of 25) at Cabela's. I can't find this deal do you mind linking it? I would very much like to take advantage of this.

Edit: Just had a poke around on Kent's website and I can't find this load offering from them?

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 04-30-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 AM

Yes 25pk box, I dont see them on the site and have never ordered them off there. Just pick up a couple boxes everytime I go in. Its been probably 8 or 10 months since I have bought shells, maybe an increase in price? They were $9.XX a box last time we bought.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
This sounds like you have found 20g 1 1/8 oz #6 loads for under $10 per box (I assume of 25) at Cabela's. I can't find this deal do you mind linking it? I would very much like to take advantage of this.

Edit: Just had a poke around on Kent's website and I can't find this load offering from them?
The only Kent 20 gauge 1 1/8 load that I am aware of is 3” Tungsten Matrix. About $60 for a box of 10.