Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 PM

Default Older car inspection

Everyone,

Looking for a commuter car and was wondering what is typically involved in inspections for cars over 10 years old. Also, how much could one expect to pay for the inspection? Should that be on the seller or on the buyer? Negotiated into the price? Thanks. I’ve never bought a car over 10 years old
Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 PM

I would say let the seller pay for it. I heard of a story recently where a young woman bought a Jeep which was over 10 years old. She took it to the registry and discovered it had to be inspected. Apparently it could never pass the inspection due to severe rusting on the floor somewhere. Whether this story was true or not gives u some idea of hidden problems. BEL
Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 PM

The form includes the following:

-Steering Box/Rack;
-Struts/Shocks;
-Front Suspension;
-Tie Rod Ends;
-Tires;
-Brakes (front/back/park/lines);
-Lights (head/tail/stop/signal);
-Wipers;
-Body;
-Exhaust;
-Engine;
-Windshield;
-Seats belts;
-Is the vehicle roadworthy; and,
-Has the vehicle been altered for speed or performance.

I had one done in Red Deer in September of 2018 and it was right around $120.00.

Unless it's is in exceptional condition, I would expect most 10 year old cars to fail. Depending on the inspector, so much as a chip in the windshield can cause to it fail as it's a compromised structural component.

Regarding payment, I would think that would depend entirely on the situation. If it's a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire I'm selling for $800, good luck getting me to pay for the inspection. If it's a 2006 E46 M3 I'm selling for $18,000, I'd likely have the inspection performed before hand to provide to the potential buyer.

Last edited by Trochu; 04-20-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 AM

Ask your insurance company. They are the ones who decide . They should provide a form.

Most of there inspections are a joke, very basic. Have seen a few that only ask one side of vehicles brakes to be inspected.

Check for liens, if car looks good ask to get inspection done as part of sales conditions. If seller refuses then look elsewhere. Might cost you $100-150 for inspection. Pay for inspection and negotiate after that. Haven't lost much at that point. You decide where inspection gets done.

There are many good vehicles out there, most really need minor work and will last for a long time if you look after them.

Last vehicle I purchased was 17 years old. Insurance company didn't ask for inspection. Been a good buy, 2000 Ford Taurus with 320000km. Paid $1500, put $500 into it, a spring broke and wheel bearing. Been driving for almost 3 years. More than paid for itself in fuel costs compared to truck that my wife was driving. Saved 40000km on truck as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 AM

No seller is going to pay for your insurance inspection, maybe a dealership but I've never worked at one that would. A private seller certainly wont.
Also, depending on who you have insurance with currently, they might not ask for one
Old 04-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Banned

Lots of good ten year old cars out there.
Lots will pass the inspection...but take it to a good independent shop.
If you take it to a dealer they’ll likely tell you it won’t pass, but for just $xxx/month they can put you in a new car.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 AM

I think if it is over10 years old most insurance company want an inspection completed.

For $100-$125 it is money well spent. I know in a lot of sales, both parties will split the cost.

The bottom line is you want and he wants it sold.....

ALWAYS DO A LIEN CHECK.....

Good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM

Insurance companies are all different, some require 10 years, 12 years, 15 years.
The inspection itself is a very simple basic inspection, nothing detailed, could probably find someone who'll pass it for you off Kijiji.

In regards to who pays for it and all. If I'm selling a vehicle the reality is, I'm not a dealership, anything extra is on the buyer, not trying to be a d*ck but I'm not going to pay for a Carproof, inspection, full tank of gas... I'm simply selling the vehicle the way you see it.

A seller that refuses an inspection doesn't necessarily mean he's hiding something, I don't deal with people who want inspections simply due to the time and process. I price my vehicles to sell, if you want an inspection, be a lot easier to say No and sell it to the next guy the same day who'll take it as is and off my hands, especially if the vehicle is really old.

What's your budget though? Have a friend selling off a few of his vehicles and they're solid units.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Insurance inspections are $60
Old 04-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Check Heater

If you buy in the Summer during the warm weather make sure the heater is producing hot air. My grand daughter bought a very clean low mileage 13 year old car from a senior. It was great until winter came and she found out that the heater didn't work. Cost her $1500 to fix it.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:00 PM

thought crappy tire also does out of province inspections for 150 or so
Old 04-20-2019, 04:39 PM

Just insure it through AMA. No inspection required. Unless you want one for your own sake.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

We dont pay for insurance inspections.
You can get the form online but shops have them.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
THIS X2...the Alberta Vehicle Insurance inspection is so LAME and it doesn't take more than 1/2 hr to complete.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Were are you getting them done for $60.00?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Were are you getting them done for $60.00?
Do not get this mixed up with OOP inspections or pre-purchase inspection. At any respectable automotive shop it isn't more than .5 to do this.
With most vehicles being 4 wheel disc brakes, all you need is a mirror or boroscope to inspect brakes, no wheel pulling required.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Do not get this mixed up with OOP inspections or pre-purchase inspection. At any respectable automotive shop it isn't more than .5 to do this.
Sounds good if I'm selling, I'd be a bit leery if I was buying.....

I'd think most shops are 15 minutes just to fill the form out.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
With most vehicles being 4 wheel disc brakes, all you need is a mirror or boroscope to inspect brakes, no wheel pulling required.
Ya, not really that easy.

So you want me to tell you the vehicle is roadworthy, fill out form all in a half hour. Bit more to that. But 2 months later come back complaining about something wrong with the vehicle. Then start a thread on AO about how mechanics are a rip off and have all the armchair experts that changed a spark plug on there lawn mower chime in.

Had a vehicle come in about a month ago. Not for an inspection but something non safety related. Guy noticed front rotors were very rusted. Pulled tires and no front brakes. Someone had purposely removed the front calipers and blocked off the lines. No fluid leaks . This is an insured vehicle on the roads we all drive. This is one of many things I have unfortunately seen over the years. This kind of stuff pi$$es me off because it puts everyone at risk.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 PM

On most vehicles they absolutely take .5
It's a very simple form. Very straightforward checklist. I am not by any means saying it's a great inspection. If I was buying a car a pre-purchase inspection would be worth the money.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Ya, not really that easy.

So you want me to tell you the vehicle is roadworthy, fill out form all in a half hour. Bit more to that. But 2 months later come back complaining about something wrong with the vehicle. Then start a thread on AO about how mechanics are a rip off and have all the armchair experts that changed a spark plug on there lawn mower chime in.

Had a vehicle come in about a month ago. Not for an inspection but something non safety related. Guy noticed front rotors were very rusted. Pulled tires and no front brakes. Someone had purposely removed the front calipers and blocked off the lines. No fluid leaks . This is an insured vehicle on the roads we all drive. This is one of many things I have unfortunately seen over the years. This kind of stuff pi$$es me off because it puts everyone at risk.
Lol they have to be a real idiot not realize they have zero front brakes. That thing would be locking up or anti locking at red lights!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
On most vehicles they absolutely take .5
It's a very simple form. Very straightforward checklist. I am not by any means saying it's a great inspection. If I was buying a car a pre-purchase inspection would be worth the money.
There again I'm supposed to sign and put my license on the line and say it roadworthy in 30 minutes.

Maybe I look at an inspection as trying to inform customers as to what is wrong, guess I'm doing it wrong
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Lol they have to be a real idiot not realize they have zero front brakes. That thing would be locking up or anti locking at red lights!
No lights, probably removed the bulbs from the dash. Many people keep turning up the radio until it doesn't cover the noise anymore.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
No lights, probably removed the bulbs from the dash. Many people keep turning up the radio until it doesn't cover the noise anymore.
Red street lights.... lol
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
There again I'm supposed to sign and put my license on the line and say it roadworthy in 30 minutes.

Maybe I look at an inspection as trying to inform customers as to what is wrong, guess I'm doing it wrong
I don't think you are doing it wrong. Not at all. I'm just saying it doesn't take long. I can do most oop and cvic inspections in 1-1.5. You know for a fact how much more is involved.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:

The best one I seen was a Honda Civic had a 2x4 straped across the hood and rigged up holding the struts in place. There is all kinds of junk driving around out there. I’ve also seen front rotors worn down into the heat fins in the rotors and the only thing stopping the truck were the cups in the calipers.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I don't think you are doing it wrong. Not at all. I'm just saying it doesn't take long. I can do most oop and cvic inspections in 1-1.5. You know for a fact how much more is involved.
I understand, not trying to fight.

I have a very high level of frustration with unsafe vehicles. So many on the road. Many times customers come in complaining about something not related and you stumble across a very unsafe vehicle.

I don't want my family or yours at risk because someone chooses to patch or ignore a safety issue
Old 04-20-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I understand, not trying to fight.

I have a very high level of frustration with unsafe vehicles. So many on the road. Many times customers come in complaining about something not related and you stumble across a very unsafe vehicle.

I don't want my family or yours at risk because someone chooses to patch or ignore a safety issue

Sounds like a good ethical mechanic to me.
Good for you brotha

Was in the car business for years and the reason I left was there were just too many crooked and money hungry people in it. Every aspect of it had people cutting corners just to make a quick dollar.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
The best one I seen was a Honda Civic had a 2x4 straped across the hood and rigged up holding the struts in place. There is all kinds of junk driving around out there. I’ve also seen front rotors worn down into the heat fins in the rotors and the only thing stopping the truck were the cups in the calipers.
One of the worst for me was a 2003 F150. Customer purchased as salvage inspection that he been passed. He got a really good deal. Brought it in for an electrical problem and leaking axle seal. Those years were bad for water intrusion from windshield to GEM. Found evidence of water and started looking at windshield. The A pillar had a twist. Both sides were deformed. Truck was white so easy to hide. Look underneath axle is pouring out. Start looking closer can see frame welded all over. Welded steering rack up too. They guy took it to two different frame shops. They couldn't find a straight spot anywhere.

The customer got Alberta transportation involved, they seized the vehicle. Came back to shop and started quizzing me on why I didn't find many other things. I was early in my career and still learning. They pointed out the airbag lights not coming on. Seatbelts retractor exploded, airbags were a slightly different color. The guy who did this covered up many different things. It was a real learning experience for me. Really made realise how many crooks were out there.

The inspectors wouldn't tell me what happened to the guy that passed it. I'm hoping licensing was removed and a major fine.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:

I've been doing inspections for 30 years and it's never taken more than .5

As long as you don't lie on the form, you have zero chance of losing your license.
There's a company here in Edmonton that will come to you anywhere in the city for $80 and do the inspection in about 20 minutes.

It's a very basic form and doesn't go into great detail, certainly not enough to guarantee roadworthiness or safety. It's a rather silly requirement the way it is.
It really should be a bit more in-depth and thorough.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
.....certainly not enough to guarantee roadworthiness.......
Seeing that "Is the vehicle roadworthy" is a specific box on the form, how so?