Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Banned

Default Crown land bait site and stand

So went to set out my bait barrels yesterday and found a tree stand built somewhat near my bait site. Now I always thought that permanent tree stands were not allowed? Also, it looks a few years old, the sign is faded, hard to read and crooked, but seems to be used about last year other than that. Now I do not want to be the person to steal someone's site, but it seems crown land is fair game. I mean would it be rude of me to put a bait barrel out there and "squat" on this tree stand? It is a really nice area and someone really put a lot of thought into it and has made a nice clearing, but I just happened to wander around and found it.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by YegFishing; 04-09-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Gone Hunting

What does the sign say?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Crown land stands

Move on and find your own spot Please
Old 04-09-2019, 08:10 PM

Move on
Old 04-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Find your own area. Unless you can get in touch with the guy from his sign and see if he has stopped baiting and using the site.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Banned

How happy would you be to clear an area and build a tree stand just to have someone come in and claim the spot as theirs? Would you be happy with it?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Move on
See ya....lots of land to hunt on....don't be that guy!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What does the sign say?
Well it has his WIN scratched in with a nail and a "danger: bear bait" but it is very hard to read and a few of the numbers are missing. There is another sign in front of it a few yards that maybe held a piece of paper stapled to it but looks dilapidated.

I would get in contact with this fellow but I doubt fish and wildlife would give me contact info based on his WIN.

Scary part is, there are bear claw marks on the ladder...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How happy would you be to clear an area and build a tree stand just to have someone come in and claim the spot as theirs? Would you be happy with it?
For some reason, I thought it was illegal to have a permanent structure on crown land but cannot find it now haha. It says that tree stands should be removed after the season but I cannot find anywhere where it states it is mandatory.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 PM

If your gonna bait bears be prepared for them to climb the tree your in. That’s a given.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Who's to say anyone is still using it, not to mention on Crown land, no one has priority ?

Grizz
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 PM

The guy that set it up and built the stand has priority. It’s called not being a ******** and finding your own spot at least 1.5 miles away.
If he isn’t using it by all means give her. But that needs to be figured out first.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Set up within sight and put your bait IN his treestand. Some interesting scenarios could ensue.....all spelled WIN for you.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
The guy that set it up and built the stand has priority. It’s called not being a ******** and finding your own spot at least 1.5 miles away.
If he isn’t using it by all means give her. But that needs to be figured out first.
That is where the problem lies. I set my bait up near him, not knowing there is even anyone that built something like this. In all honesty, the road is a decommissioned lease road that was so bad I had to use my atv and got stuck a few times because whoever drove on it before me rutted it up beyond belief. Looks to be a trapper since there were a lot of trap lines as well.

I do not think I should move my bait site I set up, and then found this one because it looks abandoned, or may still be in use. Crown land, first come, first serve.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Cut some firewood to bring home...if his old abandoned stand happens to be in the same tree you drop ...so be it. Permanent stands aren’t allowed on crown land, he’s breaking the law and has no rights.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Set up within sight and put your bait IN his treestand. Some interesting scenarios could ensue.....all spelled WIN for you.
Not when you get back to your truck and have four flat tires. Screw someone over and expect to get screwed back. Some people have to learn the hard way though. Not worth the possible trouble of taking a fella’s spot IMO. I’d be looking for a different spot other than someone else’s so I could enjoy my hunt without any worry.

Yeah, don’t just take his spot, destroy his friggin tree stand! That ought to work out just fine for you if he shows up to hunt. My goodness.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-09-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Cut some firewood to bring home...if his old abandoned stand happens to be in the same tree you drop ...so be it. Permanent stands aren’t allowed on crown land, he’s breaking the law and has no rights.

That's what I thought as well but I've def seen treestands on crown. Ones that hadn't been used for years by reckoning.

Maybe the definition of "permanent" is grey. To my way of thinking a tree stand of any type would be a permanent stand. Ground blind wouldn't.

Could you just say you built a treefort maybe?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Not when you get back to your truck and have four flat tires. Screw someone over and expect to get screwed back. Some people have to learn the hard way though. Not worth the possible trouble of taking a fella’s spot IMO. I’d be looking for a different spot other than someone else’s so I could enjoy my hunt without any worry.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Crown land is crown land though. Pretty sure you can't stake a claim to any of it. Technically another hunter could walk, sit, or park 10 ft from another and there's not a damn thing you could do about it legally.

You want privacy, hunt pvt land. Even that's not guaranteed pvt.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Wow, I’m surprised at most of these responses! Give your heads a shake boys; if you think building a permanent tree stand somehow gives you assumed exclusive hunting rights to a certain area then you need an education on what crown land means.

Would I hunt there... no. Not worth the trouble and I’m generally quite considerate even though they haven’t shown any sign of current use.

Ultimately he has illegally built a permanent structure on public land and likely cleared trees without proper permits or paying stumpage. Just because he staked a claim by breaking laws doesn’t give him more privilege than us.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
Ultimately he has illegally built a permanent structure on public land and likely cleared trees without proper permits or paying stumpage. Just because he staked a claim by breaking laws doesn’t give him more privilege than us.
Permits and stumpage fees at a bear bait site? Please tell me that you're joking.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Who's to say anyone is still using it, not to mention on Crown land, no one has priority ?

Grizz
You move on, keep an eye on that area, maybe if in another year no one shows up etc but not right off the hop.....gotta have some ethics.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 AM

Move on for sure. Lots of effort put into bait sites.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 AM

IF permanent stands are illegal on crown land ,I could show you a few hundred that I help build with a few outfitters I used to work for , they would rotate the stand line after a few years and not use them for a few years , I bet there are thousands of them all over Alberta, I would find your own area.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
IF permanent stands are illegal on crown land ,I could show you a few hundred that I help build with a few outfitters I used to work for , they would rotate the stand line after a few years and not use them for a few years , I bet there are thousands of them all over Alberta, I would find your own area.

While i personally wouldn’t hunt the site the OP is talking about - can you see how selfish and unethical this is? Especially if the people building these stands are leaving them in place?
This is public land we’re talking about here... if you’re going to set a bait site, i would respect it - but once you’re done and want to let the area rest for a couple years, pull your stuff out of there. It’s guys like that who make this whole situation a huge question mark for everyone else.
My point is - once you “stake a claim” to an area, use it or pull out of there so that other people can access the land and not have to worry about a potential disagreement later on.
Such a DB move to keep your stands/barrels/whatever in a location you don’t intend on hunting. IMO
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
While i personally wouldn’t hunt the site the OP is talking about - can you see how selfish and unethical this is? Especially if the people building these stands are leaving them in place?
This is public land we’re talking about here... if you’re going to set a bait site, i would respect it - but once you’re done and want to let the area rest for a couple years, pull your stuff out of there. It’s guys like that who make this whole situation a huge question mark for everyone else.
My point is - once you “stake a claim” to an area, use it or pull out of there so that other people can access the land and not have to worry about a potential disagreement later on.
Such a DB move to keep your stands/barrels/whatever in a location you don’t intend on hunting. IMO
I agree ,Every one should be held to the same rules , there are lots of Gray areas that people take advantage of ,
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I get this but its also April 10..Maybe he wont be setting baits for another month..
Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 AM

My opinion, leave it alone this year, check back to see if its used this year. Then next year its fair game.
But for now, set up 3miles away from it along a creek.

Never closer than that, thats how guys get bleached and dieseled.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You move on, keep an eye on that area, maybe if in another year no one shows up etc but not right off the hop.....gotta have some ethics.
Guy is breaking the law, he has no rights.

Grizz
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM

I hunted the same stand for ten years, put a few logs sideways nailed to tree, so people knew it was a site and thankfully my fellow bear huntin gang never set up near it. Had one bait within a mile in 10 years.

MOVE ALONG.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Write a note stating you stumbled across the stand and site and leave the date, your name and number asking them to contact you... Use a zip lock and affix to the stand... If you don't hear anything back from the other party after a couple weeks, rock on and kill a bush pig in that area...

It's all about respect, both ways really...