Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Chiappa Little Badger

Curious if anyone has any insight into this gun. Did a quick search here and not much mention of it.
Contemplating one for my son.

Thanks

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Are you looking for a gun to teach him on? If that's the case I would advise against it. Though it is a trim little rig it is not comfortable to shoot. there is no real place for cheekweld and likewise for the grip. For a neat packing rifle it's great but for a youngster to learn on there is way better options

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 04-06-2019, 10:10 AM

He already has a rifle he’s been practicing on. Just thinking of different options.

I like the points you brought up. I definitely have to weigh those

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 04-06-2019, 12:04 PM

They are designed for one thing, to be light and easy to pack. They are uncomfortable to shoot and you have to be a REALLY good shot to shoot any consistent groups, even at 25 yards. The trigger is heavy with lots of creep and the stock does not provide a firm or steady grip. Even as a survival rifle, the chance of missing the target is too high to make them a good choice. I returned the one I bought. There are many far better choices for a survival, pack type rifle, one is a 10/22 in take down or a Henry collapsible that would both be far better options.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
They are designed for one thing, to be light and easy to pack. They are uncomfortable to shoot and you have to be a REALLY good shot to shoot any consistent groups, even at 25 yards. The trigger is heavy with lots of creep and the stock does not provide a firm or steady grip. Even as a survival rifle, the chance of missing the target is too high to make them a good choice. I returned the one I bought. There are many far better choices for a survival, pack type rifle, one is a 10/22 in take down or a Henry collapsible that would both be far better options.
Apparently very popular with trappers for dispatching animals, I'm told.

Grizz
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Apparently very popular with trappers for dispatching animals, I'm told.

Grizz
That I believe for sure. From 2 feet they would work just fine and they are compact. Also, you can't really ding them up or break them very easily.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Yup as a dispatch gun they are tough to beat. Not really useful for much else..as stated terrible trigger, poor stock design..ect
Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 PM

I have one and I would say the trigger is very light and crisp, not heavy. The barrel is decent profile, and the underside of the action is a screw hole that is an exact thread for a Quick Detach stud to be screwed in. it gives a great hold for middle finger as your index finger is pulling the trigger. I nail pop bottle lids at 25 meters off-hand consistently with the fully adjustable ghost ring sights.

The quad rail is plastic and the threads that hold it on are very very weak and stripped out with very little torque on the side and bottom rails. I was extremely light to torque the top rail on, So not ideal for using an optic with any kind of weight, and the distance of the rails is way too close to try and have any kind of proper eye position. I have a quick detach lever mounted red dot on mine. with the red dot i get gophers out to about 40m. Rabbits and great too.

The accuracy is ammo dependant, just like most rimfire guns.

With the bottom rail removed, the stock can fold back to near touching the barrel and folds much more compact than the online pictures show.

I attached a slim 10 round detachable mag to the side and it is very handy to load a new round.

Last edited by Nyksta; 04-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Nykstra

How old is your gun? Just wondering if they made a much better trigger a long time ago, or if they have recently improved them, cause the one I had truly sucked. Also, I was not impressed with the rear peep sight. It would move up and down on the elevation ramp very easily and there was no way to set the elevation and make it stay there. Final question, what is with the magazine zip tied to the gun? Mine was a break action single shot and yours looks like it is too. Is it just a way to carry more ammo, and does yours have the 5 shot ammo holder by the butt plate. Glad yours is working out good for you.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nykstra

How old is your gun? Just wondering if they made a much better trigger a long time ago, or if they have recently improved them, cause the one I had truly sucked. Also, I was not impressed with the rear peep sight. It would move up and down on the elevation ramp very easily and there was no way to set the elevation and make it stay there. Final question, what is with the magazine zip tied to the gun? Mine was a break action single shot and yours looks like it is too. Is it just a way to carry more ammo, and does yours have the 5 shot ammo holder by the butt plate. Glad yours is working out good for you.
Id say about 7 to 10 years old, cant remember exactly. It did come with the plastic snap in ammo holder on the stock, but they always came out with the slightest bump. Attached by ziptie is a savage rimfire 10 round magazine, it has a lot of ridges in its design and its easy to hold in place. It puts a new round about an inch from where you put it in the chamber. No fumbling rounds from a pocket.

It is a very simple design. Theres only about 3 parts inside and easy to take the receiver apart to clean it out.

The sights are plastic and the cheap metals and plastic rail materials are definately disappointing.

Last edited by Nyksta; 04-06-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:46 PM

I bought one when they were $149.99 at P&D.
Love it! I have other bolt and semi auto 22s but when I hit the bush I always reach for this handy lil pack gun.
I bought this strictly for its compact design. Shots out to 50yds are acceptable.
Eye sight isn’t getting better so I take advantage when using the peep while I can.
I also carry a Turkish folding 12g with 16.5” barrel to accompany by outings.
I’m sure both you and your son will have fun shooting one.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Bought one for my favourite uncle a few years back for Xmas. Ya works good. Sighted it to minute of beer can

Gonna let my 7 year old use it for a shotgun as the 20 gauge was too much for him lol. Forgot we had a 410 there. He just started to get proficient with the Rascal at 25 yards on the bench. Guns don't seem his forte though. But we'll see.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 PM

The Chiappa little badger is a fine little.22. Surprisingly accurate even with the stock sights I think a lot of the accuracy is do to extremely light trigger it breaks at about 2.5lbs. It’s kinda scary actually... that being said the hammer should only be cocked just before you are ready to take a shot, that’s just good practice , especially with this particular rifle E6226676-45D8-4E03-8C04-AFA742083CF4.jpg
Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 PM

I think 1022 takedown backpacker would be a higher quality choice, but your weight would increase going that route.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Wow I must have got a bad one....trigger was over 5lb and has lots of creep. Also has perceptive side to side wobble. Accuracy was about pop can accurate at 25 yds but that was about the best the peep would do as it moved no matter how tight I screwed it down. I ended up putting a dab of jb on it to hold it in place. My hot shot shoots circles around the badger and seems to be a much better made gun. The badger works as a chicken gun at slingshot distances and dispatch gun for trapped critters which is what I bought it for. Maybe mine was just a dud. I used it a couple of years then traded it off when I got the hot shot.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 PM

I pack one for trapping it is the perfect dispatch rifle it has a surprisingly good trigger and shoots fairly well but it is a purpose rifle and i would never use for a range day or day in the gopher patch
Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Wow I must have got a bad one....trigger was over 5lb and has lots of creep. Also has perceptive side to side wobble. Accuracy was about pop can accurate at 25 yds but that was about the best the peep would do as it moved no matter how tight I screwed it down. I ended up putting a dab of jb on it to hold it in place. My hot shot shoots circles around the badger and seems to be a much better made gun. The badger works as a chicken gun at slingshot distances and dispatch gun for trapped critters which is what I bought it for. Maybe mine was just a dud. I used it a couple of years then traded it off when I got the hot shot.
The trigger part seems wierd every one ive seen is almost to light but ya the sights are cheap for sure
Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM

I've had 2 of them, and other than the novelty factor..I'd day most people probably wouldn't enjoy shooting them for long. My first one decided to start shooting by itself after about 40 shots (sear issue?) so that one was returned, I sold it's replacement unfired. The gun is basically an OK barrel with a bunch of super-cheaply made stuff pressed onto it. Terrible ergonomics, ice-cold wire stock if you try to shoot it unmodified in cold weather. I couldn't even endorse it as a survival gun based on how quickly mine failed when brand new. If it's a gun you need to trust, pick something else.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Some like a few people like them a few really don’t.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:24 PM

We have 3 in the family. 2 with thousands of rounds fired. Handy size to fit in a pack or saddlebags, and very accurate with good ammo. I guess you could say we like them.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:26 PM

I have one and really like it, it has several dozen grouse to it's credit. I like how small it packs for keeping in the pack while hunting.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM

I got one for x mass , just put a scope on it and sighted in today . Will take it gofer shooting on the week end we will see how it works .
Old 04-18-2019, 05:04 PM

First time I shot mine I couldn't believe the trigger - passed it to my buddy, he liked it to, light and crisp.
The stock plastic peep sight leaves a lot to be desired though
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM

contrary to what most people have said, I love my little badger and find it very accurate for what it is. I wrapped some paracord around the wire stock to make the cheek weld a bit more comfortable, and though the plastic rear sight seems flimsy it's pretty easy to shoot well in my opinion.

best $170 I ever spent, tempted to get another in .22 mag

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-02-2019, 01:07 PM

I love the little badger!

FYI there is a deluxe version with wood stock.

https://theammosource.com/chiappa-li...ock-16-barrel/