Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Default I am thinking to buy a quality PCP airgun

Have this idea for some time now and looking into different models for quality and features. I would love to hear from people who has a PCP airgun and would like to know the pros and cons of them and their experiences with accuracy and refilling the tanks.

Thanks a lot
Old 02-09-2019, 11:21 AM

I got into a Weihrauch HW100T. Absolutely love it. I really like having a magazine. Cylinders are large enough that you can get a pretty long string of fire before needing to recharge. It’s not a carry around proposition though. Could weigh mine for you if you’d like but it’s on the heavier side of things for sure. Once a pellet was found it liked it absolutely blew me away with the accuracy. In dead calm conditions you really can shoot these things out to 100 yards.

I went all in and purchased a high pressure compressor, dryer, tank etc so filling isn’t an issue. Bought a regulator too so if I’m planning on doing a pile of shooting then I can just hook up my charge bottle to the rifle and shoot all day. It hasn’t given me any grief since purchase. Fairly cost prohibitive going the route I did but everything is at my disposal. I run a Shoe Box compressor. Tank is carbon fibre in composition but can’t recall the manufacturer.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 PM

I currently have 3 pcp’s AA S410 TDR FAC in .22, a maurader in .25 and a converted Artemis CR600W (essentially a Diana storm rider) in .22.

You’re going to have to think on what you want to do with a pcp as it will help get you the most helpful information. Otherwise you’ll get reviews of guns and not much else.

Refilling tanks is an easy answer, you’re limited to either a large volume high pressure (4500psi) tank with or without a compressor or a hand pump. There’s pros and cons to both, compressor/tank setup will most likely be the most expensive startup but easier to fill while a hand pump will be cheaper but more effort to fill.

The tank size of your desired air rifle will most likely make the decision as to which you will go with, for example my cr600 has a tank volume of 100cc’s which is easy and fast to hand pump while my marauder has a tank volume of 215cc’s which I find exhausting to hand pump. An fx impact has a tank volume of 480cc and fill pressure of 250 bar, while you could yield 120 shots from a tank I wouldn’t hand pump it.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM

This will be my first PCP and these things cost more then my Sakos So far I have narrowed it down to FX Streamline in .25 caliber. I will also get a 74 cuft tank and I was told by AGS that I can refill my airgun for about 25-30 from this tank.

I. still have to find a reliable source to refill the tank and it this stage, I don't want to spend couple of thousands on getting a new compressor.

The only thing I have not concluded yet is to how to refill the tank? I called one scuba store in Edmonton and they can refill it but they said I have to leave the tank for couple of days to get the 4500 psi? That is something I don't understand yet?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
This will be my first PCP and these things cost more then my Sakos So far I have narrowed it down to FX Streamline in .25 caliber. I will also get a 74 cuft tank and I was told by AGS that I can refill my airgun for about 25-30 from this tank.

I. still have to find a reliable source to refill the tank and it this stage, I don't want to spend couple of thousands on getting a new compressor.

The only thing I have not concluded yet is to how to refill the tank? I called one scuba store in Edmonton and they can refill it but they said I have to leave the tank for couple of days to get the 4500 psi? That is something I don't understand yet?
Chances are that unless you’re certified to dive the shop might not fill your tank best to double check, also try the paintball fields there’s one in Edmonton that does fills for an air gunner. You could try safety supply stores and see where you can get scba tanks filled.

Nice choice in rifle, I find 25 cal to be par with shooting 22lr.

I find https://www.airgunforum.ca/ helpful when venturing down the rabbit hole
I want an Edgun leshiy but $2200 is steep and I want to change regs and valves in my others too.

By the way where are you located?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 PM

usually they have to fill when the top up their own compressors at beginning of next morning to get it topped up properly.
hence why you have to leave it over night.
every pcp has a sweet spot, when i hit that sweet spot its good for 40 shots give or take, the accuracy is second to none, but on a full tank and below sweet spot it can be a bit frustrating. this is were a quality springer removes much of that frustration and no buying of extra goodies that a pcp requires. some guys can machine you a proper regulator so you dont have as many issues of being out of that sweet spot to gain more consistency. Canadian airgun forum is a good place to check out and read up and you learn real quickly whose who in the zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post

Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 PM

The sweet spot is true with unregulated airguns, the streamline is regulated so full fills won’t affect it. There’s an abundance of regs on the market for most airguns prices run $100-200, lane and huma tend to be top of the pack.
There’s advantages and disadvantages in both springer and pcp but I wouldn’t want to shoot a springer in 25 cal for both recoil and it’s short range. There’s a 30 cal springer out there i believe it riveled the 45/70 in rainbow trajectory and beat up the shooter, not to mention the cocking effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
usually they have to fill when the top up their own compressors at beginning of next morning to get it topped up properly.
hence why you have to leave it over night.
every pcp has a sweet spot, when i hit that sweet spot its good for 40 shots give or take, the accuracy is second to none, but on a full tank and below sweet spot it can be a bit frustrating. this is were a quality springer removes much of that frustration and no buying of extra goodies that a pcp requires. some guys can machine you a proper regulator so you dont have as many issues of being out of that sweet spot to gain more consistency. Canadian airgun forum is a good place to check out and read up and you learn real quickly whose who in the zoo
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
I currently have 3 pcp’s AA S410 TDR FAC in .22, a maurader in .25 and a converted Artemis CR600W (essentially a Diana storm rider) in .22.

You’re going to have to think on what you want to do with a pcp as it will help get you the most helpful information. Otherwise you’ll get reviews of guns and not much else.

Refilling tanks is an easy answer, you’re limited to either a large volume high pressure (4500psi) tank with or without a compressor or a hand pump. There’s pros and cons to both, compressor/tank setup will most likely be the most expensive startup but easier to fill while a hand pump will be cheaper but more effort to fill.

The tank size of your desired air rifle will most likely make the decision as to which you will go with, for example my cr600 has a tank volume of 100cc’s which is easy and fast to hand pump while my marauder has a tank volume of 215cc’s which I find exhausting to hand pump. An fx impact has a tank volume of 480cc and fill pressure of 250 bar, while you could yield 120 shots from a tank I wouldn’t hand pump it.
What did you pay for your marauder 25 if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 PM

I Run the marauder 25 , my favorite gun...paid 750

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
What did you pay for your marauder 25 if you don’t mind me asking?
I traded for mine, I prefer my s410 though.