Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Default Seacans permitted in Edmonton?

In your backyard?
Old 12-12-2015, 05:13 PM

As long as they are entirely on your property, yes.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:15 PM

I dunno about Edmonton, but I've had two in my yard for years here in Calgary without any type of permit or such. I actually just got back inside from building more fence in preparation for the removal of one of the two (it's currently also serving as a privacy screen but I'm de-cluttering the excess crap we've been hoarding). I think having them presentable and a neutral color helps motivate any neighbor complaints, mine are tan and the one adjacent a neighbors is mostly concealed by the very nice fence that I built.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Default 311

Dial 311.
They are supposed to have the answer for everything.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM

A few years ago, I wanted to erect a tent garage on my property in Edmonton. At that time, I was told in no uncertain terms, that a structure such as that would not be allowed ... period! The development permit guy told me to build an accessory building to the maximum allowed for my lot size instead. So that’s what I did (with all the necessary permits in place).

We also got into a discussion about shed sizes that are allowed without a permit as well. According to the info below, I would guess that if the Seacan has more than a 108 sq. ft. footprint it would need a permit. If it is larger than that, I guess you could try to argue it’s not an accessory building or a structure, but I’ve got a feeling that argument wouldn’t fly. Then again, I guess you could just move the Seacan in and hope the bylaw officer doesn’t come knocking on your door.

From the City of Edmonton bylaws site at http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licenc...bo-permit.aspx :

“ With the exception of the primary residence, any stand-alone building that has an area over 10 square metres (107.64 sq feet) OR is over 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height is considered to be an accessory structure that requires both a development and building permit.

Some examples of accessory structures under the Zoning Bylaw would include: stand-alone sheds, gazebos, greenhouses (for personal use only) and pergolas.

A detached garage or carport is also considered an accessory structure, however, special requirements exist for those types of buildings. See detached garages for more information.

If the accessory structure requires mechanical work, please see gas, HVAC, plumbing, electrical or sewer and water permits for more information.

Permit Exemption

While most accessory structures require both a development and building permit, some may not not need either. An accessory structure is exempt if it meets the following conditions:
• It is less than 10 square metres (107.64 square feet) in area.
• It is shorter than 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height.
• It complies with all the zoning regulations applicable to the property.
• It is free-standing, not touching the house, detached garage or any other structure.
• It does not have any electrical, gas, or plumbing elements.
• It is not constructed in the side yards beside the house or garage.
If your structure does not meet these requirements, a development permit and a building permit may be required.”
Old 12-12-2015, 06:13 PM

There is your answer, all seacan's are free standing, trying to pull the same crap here too. A lot of pickups take up more room length wise??
Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 PM

"Free standing" is only one of several conditions that must be met. I would think the square footage condition would rule it out.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 PM

I could cut the back 7' off a seacan and re weld the back wall. 13' long by 8' wide would be allowed in Edmonton no permit required. It would still be nice to some extra storage.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:41 PM

I suggest you read the act and zoning very carefully.
Find legal definitions for 'building' and 'structure' and look for definitions and terms like 'permanent', 'permanently attached', 'fixed', or 'affixed', to or having a permanent foundation, and 'not permanently attached' and 'temporary' and 'movable'.

If an 8'x13' box is legal, can you have 2 of them? how close together? temporarily joined? or separation covered?
Are you allowed to have a 'trailer' or vehicle on your property?
Can you take the tires off? place it on blocking?
I suspect that skirting would make it 'permanent' or 'non-temporary', as would attaching permanent wiring or plumbing requiring a permit, but an extension cord for lights could still be 'temporary' and non-permanent.

I would not ask for direction from the city,
'It is easier/better to ask for forgiveness than permission.'
What is the worst they can do? Stop Work Order? Cease & Desist? Obtain an Order of Removal?
If it is delivered by a crane or trailer it can be removed just as easily.
Usually City Bylaw bureaucrats only act after a complaint, if it is highly visible and says Seaspan on the side it will attract much more negative attention than if it is tidy and discrete.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 12-13-2015, 05:06 PM

I was going to do the same thing here but after I went and got a permit for my hot tub I'm a little concerned. You would not believe how many Google images they have of your residence........I would say there were close to 100 for mine!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Be careful with that. My dad did that in a hamlet out in Strathcona County and a neighbor reported him because it was "unsightly" and he had to remove it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 PM

Let get a bump on this , so anyone know or have experience with this with the city of Edmonton ?? Yes am looking at a 20 ft seacan for the back yard .. mostly to storage my tools and maybe sprayfoamed ,used it as a winter workshed .
Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 AM

You'll need to know what zoning your lot is and what the percentage of lot coverage currently is. Based on the zoning you are allowed a certain percentage of the lot size for the principle dwelling, a certain percentage for accessory buildings, and a certain percentage for a total maximum percentage of lot coverage. You can find this info on your plot plan or real property report. As long as you don't exceed these amounts and conform to all the other bylaws - setbacks, heights, etc, you should be ok.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Let get a bump on this , so anyone know or have experience with this with the city of Edmonton ?? Yes am looking at a 20 ft seacan for the back yard .. mostly to storage my tools and maybe sprayfoamed ,used it as a winter workshed .
A 10’ seacan should be ok without a permit. No different than buying a shed from Lowe’s. No permit required.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Ask the city.
That's where you get the right answer.
But personally, I'd just put it in, paint it an inoffensive, neutral colour, and not draw any attention to it.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Small town southeast of edmonton. Permitted as they fell under temporary structure. Needed 6x6's under it. Had to be 5 meter set back from the sidewalk. 3 meter setback from any property line. Couldn't be more than 40 percent of the surface area of the existing lot. Asked my neighbour as well if it would bother him and we found a spot that worked for him too then I got a permit from the town after drawing up a plan. Painted it a nice light gray and bobs yer uncle. I got full size 43×8 high cube. Great for storage.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:18 AM

This apparently works.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...en-market.html

Grizz
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
He's a client of mine - smart builder, great area for that particular house.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Be careful with that. My dad did that in a hamlet out in Strathcona County and a neighbor reported him because it was "unsightly" and he had to remove it.
Paint rainbows on it and claim sexual racism

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Paint rainbows on it and claim sexual racism
Lol... don't forget some unicorns...
Old 04-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Ya, the zoning bylaws are pretty clear--can't be bigger than 13'x8' (or any other size combo that equates to 10m^2) and have to retain a certain % of your property clear (although this shouldn't be much an issue if you have the space for a big seacan on your property).

More than anything, talk to your neighbours about it--they're the ones who will report it to bylaw. Otherwise it's a don't ask don't tell situation, bylaw doesn't often cite violations from just driving around aimlessly, although it does happen but usually just for super obvious stuff. If they're fine with you having a big steel seacan sitting on your lot, then you'll probably be OK. Be friendly as possible and emphasize you'll keep it maintained/not unsightly/etc.

Seems backwards to have to ask your neighbours for permission to put things on your own property that you paid for and pay taxes on, but that's the best way to do it.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM

I would definitely call and check. You don't have to tell them who is calling
In our county no seacans are allowed in the towns and hamlets. Acreages are ok. My neighbor put one on his property and bylaw came and made him remove it. One other neighbor called it in.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Ya, the zoning bylaws are pretty clear--can't be bigger than 13'x8' (or any other size combo that equates to 10m^2)
This is only true if you DON'T want to get a development or building permit.

If you want a larger accessory building YOU CAN HAVE ONE (up to the lot coverage % for your zoning) but you WILL NEED a development and building permit.