Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Basement Shower Interior

Currently has 5/8" varnished T&G cedar on the walls down to top of tile. The base is ceramic tiles which extend up the walls about 8" and are in good shape so those will stay. Getting rid of the cedar back to the wood studs so looking for suggestions on what to line it with. A co-worker suggested Barker Board? I'd never heard of it but looks like a good and reaonably priced alternative from what I see on-line.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31 AM

Schluter Kerdi Board, easy to work with & if done properly works awesome. Wedi Board also works well. Used both & prefer Kerdi.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Barker board is made to look like tile, but the material it’s made of is closer to a laminate sheet for a kitchen countertop, much like Arborite only much thicker. The stuff is waterproof all day long and you’d only have the one or two inside corners to caulk so that’s a plus. It works fine but doesn't add anything to resale value as it does have ‘cheap factor’ to it. If using it I would still put a backer behind it such as aqua board because it’s not thick enough to offer a solid feel on its own. It could be glued straight to the suds but it would seem really flimsy if that was done.

To me, Barker board would be OK for a low end rental suite or a cabin that doesn’t have any pretence. Replacing the whole shower and base with a two-piece fibreglass unit would be my first choice, second choice would be a fibreglass base and to tile the walls.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Schluter Kerdi Board, easy to work with & if done properly works awesome. Wedi Board also works well. Used both & prefer Kerdi.
It's a tile substrate , nothing more. Expensive, good stuff, but takes some knowledge to get it right. Kerdi makes top quality products, but it shows in the cost. Unlike a fiberglass unit, easy to fit to any dimension, important in a retrofit. Barker Board and Ceramalite are just about extinct, not even sure they make the stuff anymore.

Grizz
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the replies...I'll definitely install a good quality waterproof backing on the studs. For the final finish, it's a rental property so kind of function over fashion (to a point). A new enclosure doesn't make finacial sense right now but I've never installed wall tile either.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:54 AM
Banned

I was in the same boat you were. I just finished mine too and most everything I did was pretty new to me. I did about 85% of my basement myself and I just have the bathroom to finish basement up as well. It can be a bit frustrating and slow going, but it's all worth it when it's done