Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Wow. Some of you guys are interpreting the law for yourselves and then calling down others. Unreal.
Have any of you "get your stands out of my bush" guys actually asked F&W what constitutes an "abandoned stand" or "abandoned bait site"?
I have, from 3 different officers, and most of you are wrong.
For every person saying "it's my spot, find another", there's 2 saying "it's my crown land, get your stuff out".
What a bunch.
If you find an unmarked bait site, report it. It's illegal and dangerous.
If you find an active site, or one that will likely be baited again that year, move on, establish your own site and enjoy the reward of numerous years of hard work developing that site.
Once you have that you can rest assured that if another person finds your established site they will do the same as you have done, because that is what respectful hunters do.
Unless they're one of the few in this thread, then you can go screw yourself, it's their site now.

Some of you should truly be embarrassed...

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 04-14-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Wow. Some of you guys are interpreting the law for yourselves and then calling down others. Unreal.
Have any of you "get your stands out of my bush" guys actually asked F&W what constitutes an "abandoned stand" or "abandoned bait site"?
I have, from 3 different officers, and most of you are wrong.
For every person saying "it's my spot, find another", there's 2 saying "it's my crown land, get your stuff out".
What a bunch.
If you find an unmarked bait site, report it. It's illegal and dangerous.
If you find an active site, or one that will likely be baited again that year, move on, establish your own site and enjoy the reward of numerous years of hard work developing that site.
Once you have that you can rest assured that if another person finds your established site they will do the same as you have done, because that is what respectful hunters do.
Unless they're one of the few in this thread, then you can go screw yourself, it's their site now.

Some of you should truly be embarrassed...

Yup....most type and that's about it....ever been in a conversation at work and someone says what they would do if so and so showed up and then he shows up...I usually pat buddy on the back and ask him to re-explain himself....yup...up and off they go....same here.

Hunt legally and be respectful.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Wrong. I never described anything that I would personally do. It’s not my modus operandi to make statements that could possibly be used against me in the future. I’m more of a Fact non Verba type.

But we all knew what you meant and it’s noted, and the readers know your true colours now, obviously not someone most of us would associate with.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
But we all knew what you meant and it’s noted, and the readers know your true colours now, obviously not someone most of us would associate with.
I think H.D. was warning some members of how some people MAY retaliate if they are put into the ridiculous position that some of you are suggesting.
And he's right.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I think H.D. was warning some members of how some people MAY retaliate if they are put into the ridiculous position that some of you are suggesting.
And he's right.
Of coarse he was just warning what others maybe like ,any decent person would see this.But some on here like to paint others with there own brush.Nothing new to most readers on this site.

H.D ,didn't do a darn thing wrong,so get over it.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 PM

All Hail H.D.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Oh, I know that they already think that they know everything. I'm just hoping that I can save some less experienced hunters from getting themselves into trouble when it's entirely avoidable. Taking a guy's bait site, however you want to justify it, has got to be the absolutely dumbest move ever. I can think of a hundred ways of getting back at someone that evicts you from your bait site. Why would anyone want to bring that upon themselves is beyond me. No "Bush smarts" and probably no "Street smarts" either.
Ya whatever
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Man this has gone on for a while.
You sure can tell the entitled, I can do whatever I want type that have poor ethics Versus the the older generation guys.
Sad to see really.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Man this has gone on for a while.
You sure can tell the entitled, I can do whatever I want type that have poor ethics Versus the the older generation guys.
Sad to see really.
The sad part is that the poor ethics types are rapidly increasing in numbers. I see it each year. The don't understand the thought process at all but its there and this thread proves it. I do get some encouragement that there are still some of the old school guys out there who are considerate to others but really have to shake my head at so many others.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 PM

Places are getting crowded. It's called progress.

Both sides have to understand the other sides perspective.

But like always, they propbably won't.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Places are getting crowded. It's called progress.

Both sides have to understand the other sides perspective.

But like always, they propbably won't.
I couldn’t agree more. There are two sides to everything, and unfortunately, most people can’t look beyond themselves and what their perspective says is right.
In this particular situation - at what point can a person say the site is “abandoned”?
The OP was there early in the season... maybe the guy who built the stand starts baiting in May. Who knows... some people are saying OP should wait and see if the other guy shows up before starting. But at what point in the season can he think “this guy isn’t showing up. I’m gonna start my baiting now”?
Is it April 15? May 1? Who decides?
I’ve always thought that whoever gets to an area first gets first dibs on that site. What’s the difference between leaving all your stuff over winter vs building a ground blind on an alfalfa field in late August? If a guy builds a blind before the season starts, does he get exclusive hunting rights to that field from September - November?
Who decides?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I couldn’t agree more. There are two sides to everything, and unfortunately, most people can’t look beyond themselves and what their perspective says is right.
In this particular situation - at what point can a person say the site is “abandoned”?
The OP was there early in the season... maybe the guy who built the stand starts baiting in May. Who knows... some people are saying OP should wait and see if the other guy shows up before starting. But at what point in the season can he think “this guy isn’t showing up. I’m gonna start my baiting now”?
Is it April 15? May 1? Who decides?
I’ve always thought that whoever gets to an area first gets first dibs on that site. What’s the difference between leaving all your stuff over winter vs building a ground blind on an alfalfa field in late August? If a guy builds a blind before the season starts, does he get exclusive hunting rights to that field from September - November?
Who decides?
Oh how much I love those people. I got permission on a field to shoot some coyotes and deer from an older fellow and he honestly forgot how many people he had given permission over the years. It seems like all of them were rifle hunters because no one showed up until rifle season started. I had managed to shoot a mule buck already by that time but still wanted to fill my whitetail tag. About a week before some guy set out his blinds in the most obvious way. One was smack dab in the middle of a pasture, another one right on the edge of a forest and a third under a spruce tree. One was an ice fishing tent. Now it really shouldn't upset me, but it is upsetting because they didn't care to make it less obvious. Anyways... looks like he left them there and never hunted them because they sat there all season and one was even flipped over and stayed that way. I wanted to flip it back over and fix it but that can go both ways and I did not want to get blamed for touching someone's things.

All in all, private land can be a hoot as well haha. I got called a poacher because one of the guys who also had permission thought I didn't get permission since he never seen me before and drove right up to me and scared all the animals away.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Respectful.....legal.....enjoy the millions of miles of crown land....no need to all bunch up like your going to Walmart.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM

you’re right there is lots of rm but people want to be where others are maybe it’s a fear of being alone or the jealousy fear that perhaps some one will get something they want.
It happens with ice fishing back country camping and all types of hunting
it even happens when driving down the roads people have to pass everyone for fear someone will see something and get it first. You see it with all the truck paths in the fields
it’s never ending. Personally i prefer to find my own spots as I feel it’s more rewarding when i get something. I don’t like being crowded in. I go hunting fishing camping to relax and enjoy life and escape the hustle and bustle and crowds with friends and family. it’s much more pleasant that way.
On another note the bears are out on site north of mac so good luck all enjoy it
Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 AM

I’d say leave a note and move on. Not that I condone leaving a purpose built structure on crown land without any contact information. I would also agree that it is possible that it was set up by someone who suddenly is not able to hunt anymore, arranging for a bear bait stand to be removed if I was not able is probably at the bottom of my things to worry about.