Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Cool. My stomping grounds. Used to fish where the caddotte, whitmud, and notikeiwin enter. Wolverine by carcajou as well. Lots colour phase bears in the hills!
Quite an amazing area, isn't it? Went out for a quick after work cruise to see what was out and about last night and saw a LOT of bear sign and one nice sized blackie as we were heading home. He was in a field we did not have permission for, but likely would have gone and asked them if we weren't running out of time and light.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Default I've got the tag for it🤔

Heading out for bear Thursday-Friday-Saturday... last year i had the tag but didn't have chance to go out for bear hunting... i end up seen a large size grizzly at wmu 417, 700yards away from the hwy40, 200yrds from me... that was moment I walked out there and go home 🤣 let me know if anyone interested and not want to go alone... im located in Calgary so, i can travel few hours north or south....
Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM

So far this is the only action on my barrel, side note has anyone shot a skunk with bow? Do they spray? Can you get the smell out of pelt If they do? Ok nvm I can’t temember how to upload pics at the moment but obviously it was a skunk lol burrowed a tunnel under the barrel
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
So far this is the only action on my barrel, side note has anyone shot a skunk with bow? Do they spray? Can you get the smell out of pelt If they do? Ok nvm I can’t temember how to upload pics at the moment but obviously it was a skunk lol burrowed a tunnel under the barrel
Never shot one with a bow but, if you get a skunked pelt, put an ozone generator and the skunk pelt, or whatever got sprayed in a closed area and the Ozone will get rid of the skunk smell. Do NOT use this solution on your dog!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Never shot one with a bow but, if you get a skunked pelt, put an ozone generator and the skunk pelt, or whatever got sprayed in a closed area and the Ozone will get rid of the skunk smell. Do NOT use this solution on your dog!!!
Good to know thanks for the info! For dogs we used skunk out from the vet, worked pretty good
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I shot one with an arrow right threw the vitals, its heart and lungs were on the judo that passed through to the fletching, pretty well immediate death. It still managed to spray and stunk up my arrow and broad head. I tried cleaning my arrow and broadhead with soap/water/bleech and it still stunk and smelt up my bow and gear . Ended up tossing the arrow and broad head.

If you do shoot one I would use a ****ty arrow that you plan to not use again.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
I shot one with an arrow right threw the vitals, its heart and lungs were on the judo that passed through to the fletching, pretty well immediate death. It still managed to spray and stunk up my arrow and broad head. I tried cleaning my arrow and broadhead with soap/water/bleech and it still stunk and smelt up my bow and gear . Ended up tossing the arrow and broad head.

If you do shoot one I would use a ****ty arrow that you plan to not use again.
Just so you know for next time, Ozone will fix your arrow, fletching and broadhead too.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Me and the wife went to check my barrel tonight, nothing had been on it yet. So after a while decided to go shed hunting, came back through an hour later and the barrel was down. We stood behind a ground blind for about 40mins waiting before the momma and her cubs came in. Was a cool experience my wife has never been close to bears other then on the road and we stood about 25yds away for 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Did an 8 mile hike through the castle doing a little recon. Only saw 1 smaller track in all the hollars and cricks we toured along. You can't tell by the pictures at the lower elevation but the snow is still deep higher up. No green to speak of along the valley floors right now.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Love the pics, Dicknormal.

Can't wait to get out there! A few more weeks and I'll be looking for Mr. Big.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Joining us on this years bear hunt going for a new family record of
a fourth generation harvest is the Model 99 300 Savage.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Joining us on this years bear hunt going for a new family record of
a fourth generation harvest is the Model 99 300 Savage.
Cool photo! And cool rifle!

-Billy Molls
Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Great pics Dick, that was refreshing to see.

Have fun Hunters!

Quote:

Easily. No special machinery needed.

1 litre of 3% Hydrogen peroxide
200 grams of Baking Soda
a bit of dish soap.

Mix it up in a bucket and put in the hide, arrow, or dog.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cool photo! And cool rifle!
I agree 100%. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:33 PM

was out Friday in Whitecourt area, saw a beautiful cinnamon nice size boar, no shot,
Question, how far do bears roam ? do they stay in the area, providing food available, but do they roam all over or territorial thanks for any info, want to try n hunt him,