Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Benelli SBE3 Issues

It seems that the issues with the SBE3 are even more serious than most people realized, and Benelli is not correcting them.

http://www.randywakeman.com/OntheBen...z6aRiwlbosbneE
Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM

I set one up for a guy at our range a few years back- the danged thing was WAY high and left for EVERYONE that shot it!
he phoned Benelli and was told exactly that "" it's within spec, it is your form "
I built him a shim/spacer that was close to .250 thick on the left side of it- problem solved.
but Lord it was UGLY!!
Cat
Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I set one up for a guy at our range a few years back- the danged thing was WAY high and left for EVERYONE that shot it!
he phoned Benelli and was told exactly that "" it's within spec, it is your form "
I built him a shim/spacer that was close to .250 thick on the left side of it- problem solved.
but Lord it was UGLY!!
Cat
If it was the fit that was the problem each SB3 comes with a fitment kit so when its shouldered its pointed properly to fit the shooter.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
If it was the fit that was the problem each SB3 comes with a fitment kit so when its shouldered its pointed properly to fit the shooter.
There weren't enough shims in Alberta to fix that one!!!
With everything in the kit the edge of the pattern was still over a foot off at less than 40 yards.
Cat
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Link doesn't work for me but neither does the link you get when you Google Randy Wakeman. Can you give a short synopsis of what the main issues are. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Link doesn't work for me but neither does the link you get when you Google Randy Wakeman. Can you give a short synopsis of what the main issues are. Thanks.
I thought that too when i checked the link but if you scroll down when you get to Randys page it starts just after a longer "white space". Looks like many people as Cat and Elk have pointed out have suffered badly with the SB3.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I thought that too when i checked the link but if you scroll down when you get to Randys page it starts just after a longer "white space".
Must have just been down temporarily, loads fine now. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It's not about fit, even if you can see only the bead, and no rib, it will still shoot way too high.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 AM

I don't have this problem with my SB2, wonder what they changed to make it such a problem with the new gun?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I don't have this problem with my SB2, wonder what they changed to make it such a problem with the new gun?
That one I worked on was the only one that I saw
this problem with but I have only seen them shot at the range, I have not shot many at all myself ,I was not aware that it was a common problem .
Cat
Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Benelli SBE issues

hi,
thanks for starting this topic, I own an SBEII and I seem to have been having the same problem.. shooting high and left. I noticed this after my first hunt with my new beloved scattergun that I sprang for.. wtf... I was highly disappointed.
I've been told that they are manufactured in Europe, and that that is how they shoot them over there. place the bird above the bead.. or simply hold the bead under the bird in the swing while leading the same, tentative two the distance.

I was told that that is what the shim pack is for, to fit it to self. ill see how it shoots this year prior to the season.

all I know is after I bought the shotgun, I nearly placed it in the closet and pulled out the trustworthy, couldn't miss if I tried 870.

hopefully we can figure this out, or else I'm going to swap it for another.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:59 AM

I have shot European shotguns of all action types for over 40 years and have never had the same problem that I did with that Benelli !
Siege, have you tried patterning and adjusting with your shims?
Cat
Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
hi,
thanks for starting this topic, I own an SBEII and I seem to have been having the same problem.. shooting high and left. I noticed this after my first hunt with my new beloved scattergun that I sprang for.. wtf... I was highly disappointed.
I've been told that they are manufactured in Europe, and that that is how they shoot them over there. place the bird above the bead.. or simply hold the bead under the bird in the swing while leading the same, tentative two the distance.

I was told that that is what the shim pack is for, to fit it to self. ill see how it shoots this year prior to the season.

all I know is after I bought the shotgun, I nearly placed it in the closet and pulled out the trustworthy, couldn't miss if I tried 870.

hopefully we can figure this out, or else I'm going to swap it for another.
You were told a load of bull about European shooters. I would also be surprised if North America is not Benelli’s largest market, so it shouldn’t matter how they shoot in Europe.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:16 PM

My supernova has the same patterning problem throwing patterns high and left no matter the choke no matter the shot, other than this I love the shotgun but patterning this thing is absurdly annoying
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM

I had a SBE2 no such issue, the issue is with the rib geometry on the SBE3
Old 04-20-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Sbe

I gave some thought to getting a SBE but with all the negative comments, I'll keep my Rem 11-87 that has served me so well for many years. It's not fancy but if you keep it clean it will do the job as well as any waterfowl gun I have owned.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:47 PM

My SBE2 had no point of impact issues, that is a SBE3 thing, but the Benelli click got me. That is my fault though, not the gun. Sometimes it's hard enough to just pop up out of the blind, so getting a solid weld to the shoulder while looking skyward wasn't always possible.

Much happier with my new A400 Extreme anyway.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My SBE2 had no point of impact issues, that is a SBE3 thing, but the Benelli click got me. That is my fault though, not the gun. Sometimes it's hard enough to just pop up out of the blind, so getting a solid weld to the shoulder while looking skyward wasn't always possible.

If I was looking for a new Waterfowl shotgun, that is the direction I would be going.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Smart man