Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Default River Conditions Anthony Henday SW NSR Crossing

Hey AO, I am wondering about the water conditions around the Anthony Henday NSR crossing in SW Edmonton. I need to do a little boating around there this summer, cruising up and down the river, keeping within 5km (and likely closer than that) of the bridge. Do not need to go anywhere fast or anywhere too far.

What I want to know is if I will be ok taking a 14' aluminum boat with a 15 hp outboard prop motor. Also having a spotter and going slow. I see a couple of shallow spots/boulders via Google Earth, but since I am not from Edmonton I don't have any experience there. I have been looking at past threads that provide more detail on the entirety of the NSR, but I am hoping to get some advice on this specific reach.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks AO!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM

I used to run a 14' tinny from lauria park launch to above the golf course there no problem, between 3.5 and higher the passage can be done but lower you really need to be able to read the river..
local water level can be found here
https://rivers.alberta.ca/

and a mac river runner is a true friend used to go through a couple of props a season then just minor filings to prop
http://propsavers.com/

last I knew Barrys marine was carrying them.

I also had my motor lifted as high as possible and it gave me about 8" water needed..
Old 04-16-2019, 05:06 PM

Don’t go slow. Go fast. Get it on top of the water. Prop sits too deep when not on plane. Fast is good.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Don’t go slow. Go fast. Get it on top of the water. Prop sits too deep when not on plane. Fast is good.
Yeah, then you can plow right though any sand bars, if you're still in the boat that is!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
TM...there is NO way in H-E-L-L he's going to get that 14' aluminum boat with a 15 hp outboard prop motor, UP ON STEP
Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
TM...there is NO way in H-E-L-L he's going to get that 14' aluminum boat with a 15 hp outboard prop motor, UP ON STEP
My 14 harbour craft with a 9.9 got on step easily, and a Mac River Runner on the Motor stopped the prop from hitting most times..

there is always the chance of a freaky hit so I carried a old prop as a spare..
Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Not if he looks like your avatar pic.....
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Banned

You can launch there?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You can launch there?
Portage?

Paddle Alberta online has a map of this reach.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. Would using an outboard jet (15 hp) on the 14' aluminum boat be a better/safer option? I have never ran an outboard jet before.

Currently looking at the options of prop with prop protector, outboard jet, or a larger jet boat.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Would using an outboard jet (15 hp) on the 14' aluminum boat be a better/safer option? I have never ran an outboard jet before.

Currently looking at the options of prop with prop protector, outboard jet, or a larger jet boat.
15 hp out the jet or 15 hp from the engine. 15 from the engine is to small for a 14 ft boat if you plan to plane. You lose up to a third your hp with a jet leg.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Go as large as you can afford or is viable for you. You’ll wish you had shortly after if you add people and any sort of gear.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Remember the rule..."shallow water on the river? Open the throttle, gotta give 'er"
Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post

If you are planning on putting an Jet Pump on a 15 hp powerhead I think you are out of luck. Smallest pumps are built for 25 hp heads I believe. would be best to keep an eye on Kijiji or classifieds for an mid eighties 2 stroke Johnson/Evinrude 30-35 hp powerhead with jet or put one on. They are best power to weight ratio avail for small jets, about 120 lbs. Those 20 to 35 hp engines were the same with carb/exhaust upgraded for rated HP and are bulletproof if run and maintained properly.

I have a 14' Zodiac with 35 Johnson jet that I run for the NSR and can tell you that you could get away with a prop within city limits with higher water, but Henday bridge and upstream is Jet only. I tried a prop with prop guard, but was humbled quickly. If anybody has visions running rivers by boat, get a jet is my advice for piece of mind...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Thanks AO. I am going to look into the outboard jet drive options, that seems like the best and safest option.