Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Banned

Yep I've never seen a Toyota on the side of the road....
Old 02-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Damn, he knows me well!

Haven't decided, but I am not gonna rush out just yet.

Trading with a friend is not a bad idea at all. Anyone got a Forester or outback they want to trade for a 2016 F150 for a week or twO
Everyone sees your question through the lens of their own experience. Some cannot fathom going without a pickup, others logically think through their own needs. Every vehicle is a trade off. I decided I hated driving rear wheel drive in the winter and I like better gas mileage. For me and my wife, we went with an older CRV for hunting and fishing and a van for hauling stuff and long distance travel. Sadly my Grand Caravan gets as good a mileage as my CRV, but I've never felt lacking for hunting or fishing with the CRV. The bonus of the CRV is that when I ask for permission for hunting, the farmer/rancher sees my vehicle and he knows I will not be getting into trouble. I rarely get turned down, maybe my age, but I like to think it's my little CRV. Sometimes I cannot go ice fishing because the snow is to heavy for the CRV, but that has not happened in the last 5 years. My mobility is down somewhat so I am not inclined to push the envelope. In bad conditions I wouldn't travel in a truck either, so no loss.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
For guys running a small vehicle for hunting, buying a cargo rack for the rear hitch is a fantastic way to go. Brought many a deer home on a rack on the back of my van, way better then a trailer!
I saw a couple of older guys who had shot a cow moose on the Wainwright base. We asked if we could help them load the critter, but they said they were fine. They pulled up with their Ford Explorer (old style - truck like) and had a hitch rack on it.

They gutted the cow, backed the truck up to it's back, dropped the hitch rack a bit, but the back of the cow on the rack, put the hitch rack up to level and rotated the cow so she was on her back on the rack . They then tied the legs to the roof rack. And with that they headed home. Pretty slick actually.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Tundra has an even higher reliability rating, way above the other pickups, and one of the highest in the industry.

http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Toyota.html
Yup but again it's closer to a full size truck, has a honking V8 with fuel economy that may not be any better than the F150 the OP is thinking of ditching. I thought about one of those myself, but ultimately the Ridgeline was more versatile for my needs.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Yup but again it's closer to a full size truck, has a honking V8 with fuel economy that may not be any better than the F150 the OP is thinking of ditching. I thought about one of those myself, but ultimately the Ridgeline was more versatile for my needs.
The Tundra is a full sized truck, and it uses more fuel, but according to your link they don't break down as often as the other trucks, the Ridgeline included, and breaking down is what seems to be frustrating the OP. If his Ford hadn't broken down again, this thread wouldn't likely exist.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-07-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Buddy has a Tundra - he bought my previous vehicle which I replaced with the Subaru Forester - Nissan X-Trail with 300 thousand Km.

Guess which one gets twice the mileage on gas, and is his daily driver?

Tundra is a good truck if you need a full sized truck, but there is a price to it.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Tundras are absolute pigs on gas. The only truck that can challenge it for guzzling is the Titan.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Tundras are absolute pigs on gas. The only truck that can challenge it for guzzling is the Titan.
No argument on the fuel consumption today, but when I bought mine in 2007, it was competitive as far as fuel consumption. And with my only expenses being oil, filters and tires for ten years, a new battery in 2017, and front brakes in 2018, I have saved enough money to buy a lot of fuel. I will buy another Tundra when the new platform arrives, and supposedly the fuel consumption will be significantly improved, and be competitive again.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Tundra is a full sized truck, and it uses more fuel, but according to your link they don't break down as often as the other trucks, the Ridgeline included, and breaking down is what seems to be frustrating the OP. If his Ford hadn't broken down again, this thread wouldn't likely exist.
Yup, the Tundra is one of the best vehicles of all in reliability. But if we compare the Honda with the domestics, the superior reliability, better gas mileage and versatility it may be a good choice for the OP.Piker is right, everyone views their choices through their own lens, it's why there are so many choices.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_F_Series.html

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/...Silverado.html

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Dodge_Ram.html
Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned

I too would think the Op would be better served with a 2020 Ford Bronco.

That said,
It’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

My F-150 would be considered overkill most of the time for my day to day,
But often I have something come up where I am glad that I have it.
And for those times having what I need already at my disposal, makes enough sense to me and my monthly expenditures to make it worth my while.

Think of any, and all situations , you could and have had, with previous vehicles, and what possibilities exist and could exist.
Then get what falls into that for you.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM

I would absolutely head out in a Subaru Outback to hunt. Have you thought about a 4 door Jeep Wrangler? We use the Jeep for hunting when conditions aren’t the best for the 3/4 ton. Those Cummins are too heavy in the front end for a lot of places we go..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
You can call me crazy but if your truck is in good shape and not costing you huge repair bills I would just keep driving it. Many people don’t realize that the cheapest vehicle on fuel is the one they already own. Throw payments in and your new good on gas car isn’t that cheap to own. I may be biased tho as all we drive here is pickups.
Well, I have no doubt now the Subaru could do it, but this ^^^^ advice and the warning about turning around with a trailer has made me decide to keep the truck.

Thanks for all the great advice fella.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Suburu Loyale

Hi: This is a good thread. When i was young and my family was young and we were on a limited budget, I hunted very well with my little wagon. I even sheep hunted with it. The only limitation was leaving the road where mud and snow occurred. Quickly, the limitations of this set up happened. The snow would high centre and the clay would pile up in the fenders or damage the CVT boots. BUT, I was hunting.

Now that i am older, i bought a ford 150...it still has limitations.

Hoopi