Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Banned

Default Cougar with Electric call

Hello, Say im hunting wolves with an E-call and a cougar comes into Investigate the wolf remains and I shot it. Will I be penalized for this even if I have a Cougar Tag? Also the ol'man really wants to get a Cougar would one of the roads just off of the forestry trunk rd be any good?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:50 AM

I worked in wmz 326 seen a fair amount of cougar activity. If you know the area it's called the lower tay compartment (sunpine), just off the 752, about 5km before it intersect's the trunk rd. I'm not sure about the shooting a cougar while wolf hunting.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Make sure the quota for cats in that zone is still open when you shoot.If it is in a regular cat season with room in the quota you shouldn't have a problem.If the quota is filled,you might run into trouble.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM

If I could suggest an electronic call to lure a cougar in I would suggest something along the lines of abba's greatest hits. I've filled my cougar quota with these calls on numerous occasions...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
If I could suggest an electronic call to lure a cougar in I would suggest something along the lines of abba's greatest hits. I've filled my cougar quota with these calls on numerous occasions...
Good one...

I heard beer,smokes and VLTS work well too.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM

hard to tell if its a male or female from any distance except right under a tree they are in, but if both sexes are open(find out with your nightly call to the cougar hotline) you would be ok. Remember, they have quotas for males and females and one or both can close quite quickly!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Alright but with the electric call going would I get in trouble?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Gone Hunting

It is Unlawful to:

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:

recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese and the hunting does not occur with the use of decoys that mimic migratory game birds other than snow geese, and 2) using electronic calls can be used to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals or rodents).

Often with a "game law" the "intent" has to be sorted out. It may be pretty hard for you to prove your intent was to hunt wolves.

Then again if you "use or employ" a call and shoot a cougar you may be breaking a law without any consideration of what your "intent" was.

As always, a call to Edmonton Fish & Wildlife to the fellow who deals with all regulations questions would be the best way to get "HIS FINAL ANSWER".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
It is Unlawful to:

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:

recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese and the hunting does not occur with the use of decoys that mimic migratory game birds other than snow geese, and 2) using electronic calls can be used to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals or rodents).

Often with a "game law" the "intent" has to be sorted out. It may be pretty hard for you to prove your intent was to hunt wolves.

Then again if you "use or employ" a call and shoot a cougar you may be breaking a law without any consideration of what your "intent" was.

As always, a call to Edmonton Fish & Wildlife to the fellow who deals with all regulations questions would be the best way to get "HIS FINAL ANSWER".
Alright, Cause ya me and the dad were talking about going wolf hunting and then If a cougar came in and we shot it (with a tag) if we would be breaking the law or not.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Your chances of not being convicted may be better if you were not in possession of any electronic rodent or feline vocalizations when you hunted that wolf/cougar. Your safest route would be to forget the electronic caller and go hunting wolves and cougars with manual/voice calls. If you must try the electronic calls on cougar you could try leaving the lethal weapons at home and take a camera but this could be fatal for you.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
Your chances of not being convicted may be better if you were not in possession of any electronic rodent or feline vocalizations when you hunted that wolf/cougar. Your safest route would be to forget the electronic caller and go hunting wolves and cougars with manual/voice calls. If you must try the electronic calls on cougar you could try leaving the lethal weapons at home and take a camera but this could be fatal for you.
Lol well I know its legal to use on a wolf. But say I shoot a wolf and I gut him there and keep hunting for wolves and a cougar comes out and I shoot him. I just wanted to know If i was in my legal boundaries or not.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM

cougars do not open till dec 1, use cow elk call for cougar be aware they hunt the hunter.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Banned

Yes, from dec to feb. My dad is looking at buying a predator call now tho so im just askin aways ahead of time Lol. But you say a cow elk call might work?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 AM

Cow elk calls work well on wolves, bears and just about every predator out there!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Thats crazy, Ive never heard that, Ive heard from a few sources a Fawn bleat is alright But most people say going with a dying rabbit call or some other type of predator call.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 AM

mule deer and elk are a cougars fav meal! cow call works good!