Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Default Rifle Problem

I have been trying to work up some loads for my 7mm-08 with 154 grain bullets. I was out to the range today to test it with IMR 4320. My reloading manual tells me the max load is 42.5 grains. I started at 40.5 and went to 42.0 in .5 grain increments. Well I had no issues or pressure signs even with my first round fired of the 42.0 grains. Well when I fired my second I got a little surprise. The action had a lot of smoke coming out from it. Upon inspection I found that the primer had completely blown out of the case. I guess the good note would be that the rounds were touching each other on the paper. The case was stuck in the chamber and the primer melted itself in the path of the front locking lugs. So the action was very difficult to open.

I got the case out of the chamber but the remaining pieces of the primer are stuck to the space between the loading ramp and the chamber, where the lugs lock. It won't allow me to close the action.

I also pulled the remaining rounds to see if I put too much powder in them and I had not. I am not sure what happened with the bad round.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I might be able to get the piece of the primer out without having to take it to a smith or have to take the barrel out?

Do not overcome fear, but become over fear.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 AM

A small set of Dental picks should do the job on the primer material. For really stubborn you may need a polishing point on a Dremel. You will also want to strip yourbolt and check the inards.

As to the load that pierced the primer, if you were using the right large rifle or large rifle magnum powder you have exceeded max in your gun. Measure the head with a caliper. If you have more than .001 larger head size than a once fired factory case, or the lightest load you have shot, then you know for sure. Just because a load is over pressure doesn't mean it will pierce every primer.

You don't say what make your gun is but the new Remingtons have a large firing pin hole, which is also bevelled. They are very prone to piercing primers and they will crater even light factory loads. You may want to get it bushed as that is a common cure on the new Rem bolts.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM

It's a savage model 11. I have never had any issues like this before. Thanks I will try that.

Do not overcome fear, but become over fear.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

I'm thinking that you may be 1 gr. over max for IMR4320 behind a 154 gr. bullet. Something to consider anyhow.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Dont go poking around... especially with a dremel. Take it to a smith tell him the whole story, and have it done properly. My $0.02
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Hey Bob

My Hornady manual shows 39.2 as the max IMR4320 load so you might be over max. One other thing that might be worth checking is your brass length,if it hasnt been trimmed to the proper length it can force the brass inward into the bullet,basically forming a inconistent crimp. This can cause real strong fluxuations in pressure
If your brass needs trimming pm me and we can get it done for you,I have the trimmer needed

Ian
Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM

also double check your overall cartride length. The bullet may have been very tight to the lands causing a pressure overload
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM

WAITAMINIT??!! SAVAGE??
contact Jerry Teo at
http://www.mysticprecision.com/htm/barrels.php
he can sell you a head space gauge, and a barrel wrench. take the barrel off, clean what needs to be cleaned out, and put it back on using the head space gauge and wrench.
it will cost far less than going to a gunsmith and is easy to do.
When you start back, start lower on the powder weight scale!
Cat
Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Hodgdon lists 41.5gr as max for 4320. Once your all cleaned up, start working up your loads again from a little lower.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 PM

Let me make a crazy guess... used Federal Brass?