Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM

MK,,

Rods have gotten lighter and faster over the last 4 decades of graphite rod development. I think everyone can agree with that.

With that said ... lighter is generally good in that angler fatique is minimized,,,, but is stiffer better? In the sense that a stiff rod can hold more line in the air and responds better to quicker, tighter casting stroke than slower action rods, they do perform better at distance and into the wind,,, great attributes if you need to fish 50 - 80 feet away in windy environments (ie saltwater flats fishing)..

Most modern fast action rods will easily cast 1-3 line weights heavier than their stated line rating, In fact,, many of them will actually feel better with a line rated 1-2 weights higher than the rod class simply cuz the heavier line loads the rod quicker with a deeper bend into the rod. For many anglers shorter casts (more typical for fresh water trout fishing) are more easily accomplished with a rod that loads more fully with less line out ,,,in other words slows the rod action down!!!

I suspect you already know that...

But Don's point,,, while bluntly put,,,,, is simply why buy a stiff rod that you would be happier with over lined as opposed to a slower action rod that will do the same job without being over lined. And excluding custom built rods,,, the "older" model slower action rod will be significantly less money out of your fishing budget!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Fast recovery and stiff are two different things. The vast majority of people are not over-lining these rods although 1/2 weight heavy torpedo tapers are popular. By moving the weight forward these rods are more easily loaded in close but it certainly is not necessary.

Myself and the folks I fish with want fast action rods to increase line speed and we are not salt water fishing the flats. I would say it is as windy on the Bow or Red Deer River as most any coast line. Precision and often lengthy casts are not any less important on fresh water as they are on salt.

But I digress; what someone else fishes isn't a concern of mine. I just don't appreciate being belittled or insulted for my preferences in equipment or style. I don't resemble a "windshield wiper on high" nor does anyone I have witnessed fly casting AND I am in no way gullible in purchasing state of the art fly rods designed by the most accomplished rod builders on the planet and enjoyed by thousands of people around the world.

Last edited by MK2750; 05-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM

MK,,,

If you aren't frequenting this board already, you might find it interesting

http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

This may one of the best internet BB boards when it comes to industry gurus and fly fishing insider / "experts" participation.

Do an archive search on overlining and you will see that the idea of slowing down modern graphite has more than its share of support from many of the experts in the biz.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Fast recovery and stiff are two different things. The vast majority of people are not over-lining these rods although 1/2 weight heavy torpedo tapers are popular. By moving the weight forward these rods are more easily loaded in close but it certainly is not necessary.

Myself and the folks I fish with want fast action rods to increase line speed and we are not salt water fishing the flats. I would say it is as windy on the Bow or Red Deer River as most any coast line. Precision and often lengthy casts are not any less important on fresh water as they are on salt.

But I digress; what someone else fishes isn't a concern of mine. I just don't appreciate being belittled or insulted for my preferences in equipment or style. I don't resemble a "windshield wiper on high" nor does anyone I have witnessed fly casting AND I am in no way gullible in purchasing state of the art fly rods designed by the most accomplished rod builders on the planet and enjoyed by thousands of people around the world.
You also made the point there is a learning curve needed to appreciate the performance of fast light modern graphite rods,,,, I agree and I would venture to say that 90% of todays rods are way better than 90% of the anglers trying to fish todays rods.

The top 10% can utilize the best rods to their full advantage,,, but they can also grab any rod and make it work well enough to catch fish

It's the other 90% who think that faster graphite will make magically them a better caster /angler when a slower medium rod is going to do just as well if not better for them in their hands!!!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 05-21-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
MK,,,

If you aren't frequenting this board already, you might find it interesting

http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

This may one of the best internet BB boards when it comes to industry gurus and fly fishing insider / "experts" participation.

Do an archive search on overlining and you will see that the idea of slowing down modern graphite has more than its share of support from many of the experts in the biz.
There only like three guys actually posting on that forum and it is averaging a couple of posts a day. Most of the articles are salt water stuff.

Check out the NA fly fishing forum if you want honest reviews on lots of the latest gear and lots of interesting topics.

Over lining is a personal preference and I am sure some folks are doing it but I can't imagine why. You can buy a moderate action, true to weight rod for 1/4 the price of a modern fast action rod. Why would you buy a $1000 top of the line rod and over line it until it performs like a $200 Redington Classic Trout or Signature Series TFO?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Over lining is a personal preference and I am sure some folks are doing it but I can't imagine why. You can buy a moderate action, true to weight rod for 1/4 the price of a modern fast action rod. Why would you buy a $1000 top of the line rod and over line it until it performs like a $200 Redington Classic Trout or Signature Series TFO?
You see,,,, we actually do agree in a manner of speaking....

That $200 Reddington or TFO is going to fish just as well for 90% of the anglers becuz that is more than enough rod for the skills of the average caster.

FWIW,,,if you outfish me (with a $200 TFO pro rod in my hands) with your $1000 sage, I can pretty much guarantee you you will still outfish me if we switch rods!

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss saltwater fly anglers,,, the guys who are successful at it are all 10%'ers. These guys cast and fish in an environment far more demanding and challenging on a daily basis than freshwater fly anglers have to experience. When it comes to casting and fly rod performance, the saltwater guys can walk the walk!!!