Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 AM

Default Anyone Know much About LED Lightbars?

I am looking to get some LED Lights and run them off my 12 volt battery on my boat. What do I need to know about doing this sort of thing? Basically wanting some good lights while running on a lake or river in low light or in the dark and being able to see good in front of me.
Any info would be great thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Whether you by them from Ebay, Amazon, or locally, get a harness kit with it. Usually includes fuse, switch and connectors to do the install yourself. Make sure have enough nylon Ty-wraps to stow the wires.
You can get Spot or Flood style. Also 3d or 5d lenses have both incorporated. Also make sure you don't exceed the amperage draw for what you're boats electrical system can sustain, Alternator or generator output.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

The cost is quite a bit more for a good light. I would spend the extra and go with rigid lights as they have amazing warranty and are the brightest you can get. I've went the other route a few times and have been disappointed every time.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. I am looking for flood lights I think. There are some I see that do a bit of both so I will have to check it out.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Thanks guys. I am looking for flood lights I think. There are some I see that do a bit of both so I will have to check it out.
https://lightbarsupply.com/collectio...-free-shipping

Should set you up. The bars are flood/spot combo, which is what you want.
Can spend 10X more on rigid, but not worth it to me. These will last a long time
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Hey Nube try Uncle weiners they have a pile of lights there for a decent price. Have one on my Polaris Ranger it’s hard on the battery
Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM

If you are going down this path - use a Flood Light Type for sure .... Make sure you mount it in such a way that that it doesn't cause glare coming back at you when running in the dark.

Sometimes lights make things worse and harder to see rapids, shallows and rocks if running the river.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 PM

I bought two 20 inch lights off of amazon for my polaris ranger. Bought off amazon $111 delivered for both. They seem heavy and I am pleased with them. Not going tp put expensive ones on because they are a target for theft and easy to steal.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Default Dead Easy

If you are at all handy around DC power you'll have no trouble installing it. Make sure you come from a fused source (or run a covered inline fuseholder). Any kind of waterproof switch will work and then just run + straight to the light. Some LEDs are polarity sensitive so check it before you crimp it. Suggest you use shrink tube on all connections. A keyed source is a good idea as these things are easy to leave on in daylight (draw is quite low though).

I put a curved one on my 20'er, the 5 outside LEDs on each side are floods, the rest are spot. I can light up the entire neighbors house from across the street.

You'll never go back to incandescent, never.

Zeke
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 PM

I have rigid and have bought some kodiak led smaller light bars seem to be good and also have a good warranty that is good in Canada
Old 05-22-2018, 01:34 PM

I have purchased numerous LED lights from Superbrightleds online, they have marine specific ones available.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-boat-lights/
Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM

have you ever tried a light on the water? They do nothing at all. It may help show deadheads but that's about it. I have a Rigid hybrid on my boat for docking or emergencies.
I bought a 50" Rigid marine for my boat but it was 1" too wide where I wanted to mount it. New cost on it is $2600 plus tax, you can have it for $800 if you want it. (I need fishing money for this weekend lol)
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...t_pn=RIG875213

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 PM

Costco had sweet led light bars for a while. I found a light bar to not be super useful on my boat