Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Quality furniture, is there such a thing?

Hey guys,

The wife and I are in the midst of purchasing our first home and are looking to upgrade our current junk we bought from Leon’s.

Is there any quality furniture anymore? Seems like everyone I’ve talked to thinks even the brand name stuff is crap now.

Anyone have any good experiences with any local stores around Edmonton?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Hey guys,

The wife and I are in the midst of purchasing our first home and are looking to upgrade our current junk we bought from Leon’s.

Is there any quality furniture anymore? Seems like everyone I’ve talked to thinks even the brand name stuff is crap now.

Anyone have any good experiences with any local stores around Edmonton?
Absolutely there is. You just have to know what to look for.
Do your research on couches. As a hint, get something with 8 way hand tied springs. Those inverted Z springs are just crap. Middle ground seems to be the web type support. If you find what you like in a 8 way hand tied, I promise it will fit every other requirement for high end.

Look for Dove tail drawers in wooden pieces. Once again, if it has that, there is a a almost guaranteed scenario that you are dealing with high end.

You will pay for this stuff and you won't find it in most places. Drop the idea of the Brick, Leons or Ashleys.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 PM

There are some places that have good stuff still. We custom ordered a bed frame from Ambers in Calgary ( east directly across the street from the Sunridge Costco). It was made in City of Industry California and is solid white oak, save for some quality plywood casework in the bottom drawer frames. All of the visible wood is solid. It won't suffer from a fastener pulling out of the chipboard for sure, there isn't any. I could probably park my Passat wagon on it.

Some places have great stuff that's overpriced. I really, really like the line of furniture called "Simply Amish" but holy mackerel do they ever charge a premium for that stuff. I'm a big fan of the 'Arts & Crafts" style of furniture both for its style and that its typically really sturdily built, heirloom furniture. I prefer Simply Amish to Stickley for anything with drawers because they embrace modern drawer glides, Stickley still does 150+ year old wood on wood drawer glides.

Edit: I agree with Jamie on the dovetailed drawers, that's a strong indication of stoutly built stuff.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-21-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Nothing wrong with wood on wood, as long as it is solid hardwood. Just wax it the bearing surfaces every year.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 PM

Yup, there are still lots of quality furniture makers out there.

When you find one you will know because the price will make you poo your pants.

A queen headboard and footboard won't be 600 bucks. It will be 10k.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Old Hippy wood furniture.

*Edit*
Looks like it's old hippy wood products.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Yup, there are still lots of quality furniture makers out there.

When you find one you will know because the price will make you poo your pants.

A queen headboard and footboard won't be 600 bucks. It will be 10k.
Our king size cost about $3400 8 years ago IIRC, all white oak. It has 2 drawers on either side and a door in the footboard to access the entire depth of the middle that the side drawers don't reach. Its a good storage area or spot for the kids to play, I can even get all the way in there, it helps with the vacuum for dust bunny hunting.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Like already stated, dovetail drawers is the first thing I look at. I have yet to see dovetails on a cheaply built piece of furniture.

I also agree on not shying away from wood on wood sliding surfaces, if done properly and maintained will last for ever and slide smooth. There is something to be said for some of the high end slides and hinges though.

Electronics in furniture. Electric recline ect. I have not seen many quality pieces of furniture include these. It could just be the ones I've looked at but my opinion anyhow. If your buying quality furniture it will cost lots and will be something that can be passed down.

Sorry I don't have much advice for who to go with. Also remember, if you're getting custom furniture built and it seems expensive, the craftsman has probably already shorted himself because one off projects always seem to take longer than expected.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM

The last time I saw dovetails on new furniture was on a wardrobe I built myself. After doing it I can fully appreciate the premium price associated with quality.

Quality isn't cheap. Same can be said for appliances. We recently replaced a 23 year old fridge and a 20 year old gas range. By the dollar, without taking into account inflation, the replacements were significantly cheaper than the originals.

How much would we be willing to pay today, with the glut of inexpensive products on the market, for a dishwasher, say, if we knew it would be problem free until 2035?

Two years from now they will stop manufacturing replacement parts for my 1 year old range.

Tangentary rant aside. Look for manufacturers that offer long warranties as a benchmark for quality. My parents have furniture from Ethan Allen in Calgary that was purchased in the mid nineties that still looks and feels brand new. But it was significantly more expensive than Leon's-slash-the Brick.

Like comparing a Stoeger Condor to a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

Colin
Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

McElherans has some excellent quality furnishings with an appropriate price tag of course. Old Hippy is excellent as well.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

I don’t think that there is. My wife bought a lazy boy sectional worth $5200 five years ago and it is literally falling apart now. Normal everyday use and not abused now that we have a little one in the house anyways lol
Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Might be a local colony building good stuff. They did our bedroom suite, still holding up great 15 years, probably outlast us.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Default XL Furniture in Edmonton

Family owned, been in business since 1952, no commissioned sales people, you deal with the owners, pricing is not out of sight and they don't sell low-end anything. From their web site, "As always, our prices include GST, local delivery, and service for life on parts and labor, for as long as you own the furniture." You don't stay in business for 67 years if you don't mean it. Definately worth a look.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I don’t think that there is. My wife bought a lazy boy sectional worth $5200 five years ago and it is literally falling apart now. Normal everyday use and not abused now that we have a little one in the house anyways lol
That’s interesting. I’m sitting on a lazy boy now that I bought 13-14 years ago and it’s as comfortable now as the day I bought it. I’ve got three little kids that have destroyed all the other furniture I’ve bought but this couch set has convinced me lazy boy is where I’ll buy all future couches from.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That’s interesting. I’m sitting on a lazy boy now that I bought 13-14 years ago and it’s as comfortable now as the day I bought it. I’ve got three little kids that have destroyed all the other furniture I’ve bought but this couch set has convinced me lazy boy is where I’ll buy all future couches from.
I couldn't agree more. If I was to buy a mechanical chair, it would only be Lazy Boy. Not sure about a couch
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 PM

x2 for XL furniture. We purchased recliners from them approximately 18 years ago and they are incredibly comfortable and in great shape. They service what they sell, have a good selection and are not overpriced.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Highpoint, North Carolina. Enough said!!

Canadian Quality furniture used to come from Montreal.

As for the US stuff, most of the big quality makers are within 90 miles of Highpoint, North Carolina. That was were all the good hardwoods grew in the USA.

Many makers, such as Hooker, Stanley, etc have plants in the area. Stanley is from Stanley, Virginia, for instance.

Now here is the crazy part. There are big retailers that will deal, and deal, and deal, in Highpoint. You drive around the show room in a golf cart.

Furniture is marked up many 100's of %. A Piece could sit for 3 years before it sells. That is why the good stuff is marked up like crazy everywhere else.

You have to want to buy about 10K + of furniture. Whatever the price is quoted, start at 40 % and work up slowly. Then you have to pay shipping, but it really isn't that bad on a big buy. You will save many thousands and see stuff that you never see up here.

While you are down in those parts, go see Replacements Ltd. About 2 hours drive. Every possible China pattern and silverware pattern in the world there. If you break a plate or need a few pieces to complete a grand parent's set, it is there. They have a Website that is very very cool.

Drewski
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Drewski's post reminds me that I'd always wanted to do a run to the US Midwest with an empty cargo trailer to buy antiques. Solid furniture and from what I saw in a few spots in the US, prices are darned reasonable because a lot of people don't realize how much better quality some of that 'old junk' is compared to their industrial production line stapled together pressboard set from a national retailer.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Drewski's post reminds me that I'd always wanted to do a run to the US Midwest with an empty cargo trailer to buy antiques. Solid furniture and from what I saw in a few spots in the US, prices are darned reasonable because a lot of people don't realize how much better quality some of that 'old junk' is compared to their industrial production line stapled together pressboard set from a national retailer.
True dat, same for most consumer goods. International Harvester fridges from the '40's still keeping perishables fresh, the list goes on & on. American-made products before the arrival of foreign slave labor mass production.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 PM

I have an IH fridge from 1951 that is still going strong.
Uses some power though...
Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 AM

For dining room and bedroom furniture, I wouldn't overlook Kijiji and/or estate sales.
The kids have bought some really nice stuff off of Kijiji. Solid wood, quality construction, great prices. A lot of times people are just happy to see their parents furniture going to a good home. There's a lot of junk and some really dated stuff on Kijiji, but if you're patient you can find some real gems.

When my wife and I were just starting out we bought a small set from a 'finish it yourself' place in Calgary. Solid wood dinette; 1 1/2 inch butcher block top. Saved some bucks by doing the finishing ourselves. Twenty years later, it's still going strong. It's a great everyday table that we've never worried about getting a bit of extra character.

The place was on the corner of Heritage and 11th in the SE. As a bonus, there was a strip club next door. Sadly, both have moved on.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
We are disappointed. It seems nothing is built as good as it used to be. Stitching is coming apart in several places cushions are flattened and the arm rests are loose and rickety and the pins the hold the sectional together are pulled out. The pins are normal threads screwed into wood.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
For dining room and bedroom furniture, I wouldn't overlook Kijiji and/or estate sales.
The kids have bought some really nice stuff off of Kijiji. Solid wood, quality construction, great prices. A lot of times people are just happy to see their parents furniture going to a good home. There's a lot of junk and some really dated stuff on Kijiji, but if you're patient you can find some real gems.

When my wife and I were just starting out we bought a small set from a 'finish it yourself' place in Calgary. Solid wood dinette; 1 1/2 inch butcher block top. Saved some bucks by doing the finishing ourselves. Twenty years later, it's still going strong. It's a great everyday table that we've never worried about getting a bit of extra character.

The place was on the corner of Heritage and 11th in the SE. As a bonus, there was a strip club next door. Sadly, both have moved on.
Yes and sometimes quality stuff. Some of it not old at all. Some people just have to have the newest fad and will sell off good stuff just because they got to keep up with the newest fashion fad. Often replacing good stuff with junk.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Knowing some old Lazyboy staff they told me they went to offshore mfg several years ago and that was the end of the Lazyboyboy we used to know and rave about their quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
We are disappointed. It seems nothing is built as good as it used to be. Stitching is coming apart in several places cushions are flattened and the arm rests are loose and rickety and the pins the hold the sectional together are pulled out. The pins are normal threads screwed into wood.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Buy that same chair today, and you will be lucky to get it home before it will fall apart.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 AM

I have a friend who builds custom furniture if you can imagine it he can build it.
Dustins Creations
No surprises on the price either.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Some of the Hutterite colonies build furniture and the quality is very good.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 AM

Perhaps not as fancy Chic or upbeat but the wife and I have always looked for vintage furniture at estate sales. Solid wood and quality fabrics. Much of it has been built generations before us and will probably last that much after.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Perhaps not as fancy Chic or upbeat but the wife and I have always looked for vintage furniture at estate sales. Solid wood and quality fabrics. Much of it has been built generations before us and will probably last that much after.
Agreed. I have a Vilas solid maple dining table and chairs, bought on the 70's, so over 40 years ago and solid as a rock.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Agreed. I have a Vilas solid maple dining table and chairs, bought on the 70's, so over 40 years ago and solid as a rock.
I managed to find a Vilas solid zebra maple dining room set from the 1950's. The owners never used it (formal dinning room) and when they passed, the kids thought it was old junk. Best set I've ever had.