Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

Thumbs down New Zealand Repercussions...

Didn't take long...

New Zealand shootings will prompt careful gun review in Canada, Goodale predicts

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/03/...dale-predicts/

Report on handguns, assault weapons coming ‘very quickly,’ Goodale predicts

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/03/18/repo...dale-predicts/

Nog
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 PM

Here’s the sad truth..... for every time a tool is used to commit an atrocity, it becomes that much closer to being banned. It’s the way the world works now. Not good.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 PM

I am down in NZ right now, and also a NZ firearms owner,

This is pretty much, What I had expected, and better than I had hoped,

All sensible viable hunting long arms, have been left alone, as has pistol class,
we can still have our 10/22, BAR, Rem 740, and semi shotguns,

The big problem has been that an A class, M16 or slr or similar (non restricted) could be bought and was supposed to be limited to a 7 shot Mag (I think),
but E class (restricted long arms) magazine's, 20-30 round, could be bought with no controls.
E class users, (Mssa) also had far greater vetting, storage, and inspection, and compliance costs. plus registration .
The general mood, is there is no tolerance, for MSSA rifles period, or high capacity shotguns, I have heard this repeated many times, in the last week, While getting a haircut at the barbers, couple days ago, the conversation between about 17 people flowed this way,
Neither am I surprised by the rapid movement, on banning them, this is a different society, with less levels of government, and there was full support across all parties'

I not happy that one foreign *****, was allowed in, (police failure)No vetting and no calls to references, murdered more, than this country usual Annual murder number, in one day,
We were allowed cool toys, because we were responsible, and lost sum of them, because one was not.

Any how the sun is shining, I just had fresh snapper and salad for lunch, there's a fallow deer hanging, in the shed I shot yesterday,for me to go butcher, A chopper booked for Saturday morning, for a few days in the scrub, hunting Red deer and trout, life goes on.
SM
Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the update buddy, please drop by next time you are in the area. Oldman says Hi too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Banned

Can't take the crazies out of circulation, so the guns will be next..
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

Everything is fine...ANOTHER day in paradise. ..
Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Hi Southernman, what all guns are affected?

All semi long gun centre fire? Such as sks, m14, mini14?

Or just ar?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Default action required

Time to call MPs. Problem is all our MPs are Conservative anyhow. Still necessary though.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Hi Southernman, what all guns are affected?

All semi long gun centre fire? Such as sks, m14, mini14?

Or just ar?
Any semi capable of using a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds

mini 14, mini 30 etc. banned
Browning Bar is exempt most other sporters are banned (external magazines)
SKS is ok for now other restrictions may follow like bayonets or lugs

It's confusing the Kiwi's aren't sure what rifle to bury first
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM

And here I sit with having an MP that was kicked out of the Liberal caucus and now sits as an independent, has been for a couple of yrs now. But, he is still voting the Liberal platform. He is a deadbeat that says he will run again as an independent. Meh.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM

A Catholic priest was just stabbed on live television in Montreal. Solution? Ban handguns and military style rifles.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
And here I sit with having an MP that was kicked out of the Liberal caucus and now sits as an independent, has been for a couple of yrs now. But, he is still voting the Liberal platform. He is a deadbeat that says he will run again as an independent. Meh.
Are you referring to Kent Hehr? He’s still a Liberal, he was just removed from his ministerial position, not the Liberal party. When he gave his Remembrance Day speech last November at the Military Museums he was reading straight from the Liberal speech template where he first had to natter on at length about us being on native lands and all the butt-kissing that entails. I was pretty surprised when he phoned me last week in response to an email I had sent him regarding the Jody Wilson Raybould affair about a week or so previous. As I was caught off guard by the call (and I was driving) I didn’t have my whole platform of talking points listed and ready to question him on. I did grill him on pipelines and the Raybould / SNC Lavalin affair but I neglected to cover firearms whatsoever. They weren’t part of that particular email. He did claim that the pipeline would absolutely go through but the only way I believe that claim is if they got SNC Lavalin the full contract to build it and all the bribes and graft that would accompany that.

It’s kind of a unique spot to be in discussing gun control with your MP when they were left paralyzed and wheelchair-bound in a drive-by shooting. I have emailed him about that before though.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Southernman: Any word on possible compensation amount for said soon to be prohibited firearms? I remember years ago in Australia that my cousin said it was about 50 cents on the dollar.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Southernman: Any word on possible compensation amount for said soon to be prohibited firearms? I remember years ago in Australia that my cousin said it was about 50 cents on the dollar.

An if that happened in Canada you would have to claim it as a profit or income and pay tax on it.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM

I am not sure why you think the BAR or Rem 7400 are exempted. The OIC is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kc2...uCoRqOHtuB1fdI

Both guns are capable of being adapted to detachable magazines of greater than 5 round capacity. SKS rifles can be too.

It appears to me that all semi auto rifles (with very few exceptions) will get hit.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:20 PM

A video just released by the NZ police looks like everything is banned

https://youtu.be/gI5jaOflhOs