Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Default A judges history

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/apos-very-...140005341.html

A interesting read.
One smart cookie, nice to see a strong judge in the system. Especially one with a history we can appreciate.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM

Commenting on the case and not the judge. I do not believe that the crash was intentional. I also believe that the schooling that the driver of the truck got was insufficient for the level of responsibility that was dropped on him. Most driving schools here do not allow students to practice with loaded rigs. It's a big difference stopping a loaded rig as compared to stopping an empty one.

I'm not saying that things should have been done different, but I'm of the opinion that the truck driver is not fully at fault here. I'd say that would be especially true if he was inadequately prepared for the job he was doing.

When I started driving flat bed truck, the company I was working for sent someone with me to teach me on a designated multi stop run with lots of strapping, unstrapping, and restrapping, and I had someone with me teaching me how to do things for 2 months before they let me on the road myself.

I already had several years of experience driving a truck at that point. So, how can a guy who just got out of the kind of school that uses the minimum to get people through do a good job, or be prepared??

I don't think that everything should fall squarely on the driver of the truck. And I bet he feels awful for what happened. I mean, he just pled guilty. I haven't kept up with the case, but I haven't heard of him trying to justify anything.

I'm not saying that him not knowing will bring the dead back to life, or restore the injured. But in my mind, there's no justice in a giant punishment being given to someone who didn't know better either. Where is that balanced??

Even in the Bible, there's something that says that death by accent not brought on by negligence should have mercy. I believe the example was an ax that breaks and kills someone else with no warning it would happen.
These person who killed the other was to go to a city of refuge for 7 years.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM

what is really needed is a 2 minute video showing the signs as he approached the final stop sign

any idiot that drives a truck knows where the brake pedal is

a man intends the natural consequences of his actions. That used to be section 11 or so of the Canadian criminal code
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM

What day in truck driving school do they teach what a stop sign is and what to do when you approach one?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Commenting on the case and not the judge. I do not believe that the crash was intentional. I also believe that the schooling that the driver of the truck got was insufficient for the level of responsibility that was dropped on him. Most driving schools here do not allow students to practice with loaded rigs. It's a big difference stopping a loaded rig as compared to stopping an empty one.

I'm not saying that things should have been done different, but I'm of the opinion that the truck driver is not fully at fault here. I'd say that would be especially true if he was inadequately prepared for the job he was doing.

When I started driving flat bed truck, the company I was working for sent someone with me to teach me on a designated multi stop run with lots of strapping, unstrapping, and restrapping, and I had someone with me teaching me how to do things for 2 months before they let me on the road myself.

I already had several years of experience driving a truck at that point. So, how can a guy who just got out of the kind of school that uses the minimum to get people through do a good job, or be prepared??

I don't think that everything should fall squarely on the driver of the truck. And I bet he feels awful for what happened. I mean, he just pled guilty. I haven't kept up with the case, but I haven't heard of him trying to justify anything.

I'm not saying that him not knowing will bring the dead back to life, or restore the injured. But in my mind, there's no justice in a giant punishment being given to someone who didn't know better either. Where is that balanced??

Even in the Bible, there's something that says that death by accent not brought on by negligence should have mercy. I believe the example was an ax that breaks and kills someone else with no warning it would happen.
These person who killed the other was to go to a city of refuge for 7 years.
What part about obeying stop signs and using the brake pedal requires lots of experience that can only be gained by spending time with another experienced truck driver?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
What part about obeying stop signs and using the brake pedal requires lots of experience that can only be gained by spending time with another experienced truck driver?
If he came up on the sign too fast loaded, it's rather different than stopping an empty truck. I loaded truck can take 800-1200 feet to stop from highway speed. An empty truck less than half of that. Stopping a loaded truck is not as simple as stopping a car. Maybe you should try it sometime.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
If he came up on the sign too fast loaded, it's rather different than stopping an empty truck. I loaded truck can take 800-1200 feet to stop from highway speed. An empty truck less than half of that. Stopping a loaded truck is not as simple as stopping a car. Maybe you should try it sometime.
Maybe try it on a training course, until you're aware of your capabilities - not on a public road that my family drives on.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Your sentiment might bear some validity had there been any evidence the driver had tried to stop or applied the brakes at all.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
From reconstruction of the accident, he was either speeding or never hit the brakes AT THE TIME OF IMPACT. He either choose not to stop (didn't think anyone would be coming) or he missed the stop sign altogether.

If the former, God have mercy - what a choice to live with for the rest of your life.

If the latter, he shouldn't be driving a truck at all, as being able to use your eyes is hardly a special requirement while driving on the road. It even has a blinking red light above it! You really had to be sleeping or willfully ignorant to miss it.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 PM

Do some of you even read **** before you post! The facts are out there! Some of the statements here are embarrassing and most likely the reason why we should all feel sorry for everyone that ***ksup! Oh **** the guy that bought the automatic weapon didn’t realize it would shoot bullets! Wtf!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Banned

He missed the stop. He was distracted/he was day dreaming and so many payed the price.
I had to ask myself if I had ever had made such a mistake. I know I have. At least once I can recall running a red light on McLeod trail. I just blew right through it. Not even a tap on the breaks. But for the grace of God.... I was lucky that I didn't kill someone.

This driver will pay a massive internal price that cant even be comprehended (Much like the families of the victims).

No amount of jail time will help the people under the ground. It won't even help the next driver who blows through a light or the victims.

He is probably going to get kicked out of the country when he is done his sentence as well. Perhaps best just to take him to the Airport right from court and save us all some $$$.

If you cant forgive, then find a way to accept.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 PM

Heard Cujo on the radio today, he said the Joseph family won't forgive. Tragic, so many lives affected, forever.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-22-2019, 01:02 AM

Could he have purposely blew through those signs. There were 4 signs and they are not small. All a risk to save time maybe. Unless he was totally asleep how could he miss 4 signs? No skid mark's on his side. It's a straight road, no curves. Either way it's a tragedy. As well I don't know what helps by saying this judge is tough. The right thing needs to be done but what that is God only knows. No easy answers.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 AM

heard somewhere that if the sentence is more than 2 years he is deported

the judge can and will sentence him towards the maximum

not the minimum and not the maximum in order to show compassion for the immigrant
THAT IS THE WAY THE JUDICIAL SYSTEMJ WORKS NOW=A=DAYS

both the crown and defence know he will be deported and the judges decision is just what is called

WINDOW DRESSING

a feel good reverse victim impact statement for the public to heal

that is the way it works

and yes I do not stay at a holiday inn but did litigation for 30 years

Cement Bench