Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
You flames fans sure get excited over a post. To easy.

BW
I can’t fault a person that is hopeful. Sometimes hope
is all we have.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Koskinen just signed a 3 year extension.

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Long time flames fan from Calgary now living in St Albert

It is becoming more apparent to me over the years that the key to building a solid foundation for steady success is reliant on the expertise of the scouting department both pro and amateur. We all know that scouting is far from an exact science but some orgs seem better than others for choosing draft picks that evolve into valuable teammates no matter what round. Case in point now are the Flames...while always finishing near the middle or lower, the following draft picks are now the core of a young team that has been bolstered by trades that again they appear to have won thanks in part to their pro scouts. ( Hamonic, Carolina trade)

Draft picks
Johnny 104th 2011
Monahan 6th 2013
Bennett 4th 2014
Backlund 24th 2007
Brodie 114th 2008
Jankowksi 21st 2012
Tkachuck 6th 2016 ( Puljujarvi 4th)
Anderson 53rd 2015

Of course there are over 50 others drafted that never worked out and now and again you get lucky with non drafted ( Giordano, Rittich)

Now with the young age and relatively reasonable contracts in place (Tkachuck next up) I am more excited for the years to come with the flames as I am for this year all though they sure are playing an enjoyable brand of hockey to watch. Clearly once the foundation is built then coaching, confidence and effort are the fuel for success.

Hang in there Oil country...you have seven more years to get it right before he is gone...
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:

BW
I wonder what Talbot is thinking?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
He’s probably thinking he shouldn’t have let in the first shot what? 5 times this year??
Old 01-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
He’s probably thinking he shouldn’t have let in the first shot what? 5 times this year??
Was it only 5 times? Seemed like a hell of a lot more than that.

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

BW

I really dont know what to say... I took a chance to go read some of the Oilers fan sites. I was thinking this had to be a mistake or perhaps I was missing something here..

NOPE.. Just another world class signing.

I got nothing.. I am just going to sit back and enjoy the show.
: party0051:
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I really dont know what to say... I took a chance to go read some of the Oilers fan sites. I was thinking this had to be a mistake or perhaps I was missing something here..

NOPE.. Just another world class signing.
You think its a bad signing? I think he's a great goalie.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I also tend to think it's a good signing. Which is arguably unusual.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Banned

With so much uncertainty and still lots of time left in the season. Why on earth would you give a Goalie with 30 games under his belt in his WHOLE NHL career (Since 2010) such a lengthy and expensive contract. Ed has $50,000 worth of room on the cap. And now he is the 4th highest paid person on the Oilers.......

I don't watch enough Games to comment on his ability or lack of. But 30 GAMES and the fact that I cant find one positive note about signing this guy? More than a bit of a gamble by a team that cant gamble and doesn't have any chips to play with.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Relax.... it is evident that Flames fans have fairly short memories. The Flames have now played excellent for a total of 4 months. Remember the Flames were also a complete dumpster fire at the end of last season. You guys are not quite a dynasty yet and you might want to give it a full season before you try to strip the 84-85 Oilers of the title of best team ever!
I'm relaxed believe me things are good in my camp. I realize you Oiler fans like to relive the past A LOT, and I thought the topic was the OILERS current dumpster fire. That's why I was just mentioning how much of a statement everyone walking out or like others have mentioned not buying tix in the first place. Didn't realize I had to give a shout out to the 84-85 team. My bad.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also tend to think it's a good signing. Which is arguably unusual.
Agreed. It’s maybe a little rich, $3.8-4MM/per would “feel” better, but at $4.5MM AAV, he’ll be about 20th on the salary list. (5-6 spots lower than Mike Smith and his $5.6MM/per)

It’s not without risk (30 NHL games and a long career in Europe, he’s not a kid) but it could be a great signing if he becomes a true #1, could just be an OK signing if he can’t find some more consistency. He could be the next Mike Smith, who knows.

Sadly it likely spells the end of the Talbot era, likely much sooner than later. He was a Vezina quality goalie two years, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him return to that form some day. I hope he does, he’s always been a class act despite the constant pressure and attacks on him.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 01-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I think its about 1 million more then I was expecting. I was actually anticipating him and Rittich both being resigned by there respective clubs for about 3.5.

I think I am a little more confident if the Flames have to pay Rittich 4.5 over Koskinen at 4.5. The only reason I say that is the games I have watched Kosk makes some good saves but lately he seems to have some leaky (Smith style) goals going in. I am just not sure you have a big enough picture from him to commit that much for that long. However, with some better D his numbers may get better, the drop off in his play does appear to have started when Klefbom got injured. You probably had to pay him that extra mil to keep him interested in staying in Edmonton. If it gets to close to the end of the season he is probably more tempted to go to open market.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Agreed. It’s maybe a little rich, $3.8-4MM/per would “feel” better, but at $4.5MM AAV, he’ll be about 20th on the salary list. (5-6 spots lower than Mike Smith and his $5.6MM/per)

It’s not without risk (30 NHL games and a long career in Europe, he’s not a kid) but it could be a great signing if he becomes a true #1, could just be an OK signing if he can’t find some more consistency. He could be the next Mike Smith, who knows.

Sadly it likely spells the end of the Talbot era, likely much sooner than later. He was a Vezina quality goalie two years, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him return to that form some day. I hope he does, he’s always been a class act despite the constant pressure and attacks on him.

Had a unreal season two seasons ago but a lack of confidence has riddled him the last little bit.
He will most likely end up a playoff rental for someone needing playoff depth, my guess is Toronto or maybe even Long Island.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I think its about 1 million more then I was expecting. I was actually anticipating him and Rittich both being resigned by there respective clubs for about 3.5.

I think I am a little more confident if the Flames have to pay Rittich 4.5 over Koskinen at 4.5. The only reason I say that is the games I have watched Kosk makes some good saves but lately he seems to have some leaky (Smith style) goals going in. I am just not sure you have a big enough picture from him to commit that much for that long. However, with some better D his numbers may get better, the drop off in his play does appear to have started when Klefbom got injured. You probably had to pay him that extra mil to keep him interested in staying in Edmonton. If it gets to close to the end of the season he is probably more tempted to go to open market.
Exactly, this is great signing and I am definitely in the Koskinen camp over Talbot. With the amount of need for goaltending around the league, Koskinen would have been scooped up fairly quick this summer.

Teams in the west want more balanced goaltending due to the travel schedule with more a 50/30 as opposed to a 60/20 or even 70/10 out east. If team budgets 8-9 million for both goaltenders, then the Oilers are in good shape. Some teams are paying that and more for 1 goaltender.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Relax.... it is evident that Flames fans have fairly short memories. The Flames have now played excellent for a total of 4 months. Remember the Flames were also a complete dumpster fire at the end of last season. You guys are not quite a dynasty yet and you might want to give it a full season before you try to strip the 84-85 Oilers of the title of best team ever!

You bring up your team from 34 years ago? Ha. Funny! #1 Draft picks, coaches, managers, new arena, McDavid, speaking of fires I think a few oiler jerseys were burnt, and still more excuses?

Maybe you can try firing another coach oh yah never mind you have went threw 8 of those. Keep dreaming boys and girls!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I'd never give up these guys for Draisatl...IMHO overpriced at $8.5mm...Playing with McJesus could make a monkey into a 20 goal scorer
It does make you wonder what his contract would have looked like without McDavid inEdmonton.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I'm relaxed believe me things are good in my camp. I realize you Oiler fans like to relive the past A LOT, and I thought the topic was the OILERS current dumpster fire. That's why I was just mentioning how much of a statement everyone walking out or like others have mentioned not buying tix in the first place. Didn't realize I had to give a shout out to the 84-85 team. My bad.
The problem is that for a Flames fan anything prior to the start of this season is too far in the past to discuss or remember. It is going good now so lets not talk about anything else. Let's say the Oilers give you a buy on the first 20 years and spot you 4 cups. Start the comparison at 1989 when you won cup and since then the Flames made the cup final once in 2004. The Oilers won the cup in 1990 and made the final once since in 2006. Other than that, neither has done anything to really speak of other than the Flames in the last 4 months.

The Flames are having a awesome year with individuals having career years. Your trades are working out awesome and a guy who can barely skate is projected to have 94 points. What is laughable is that you think the Flames were so far ahead of the Oilers as an organization before the start of the season but it wasn't too long ago (5 months or less) that you want your GM and coach fired, and several players (that still are there) traded.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

The Flames are having a awesome year with individuals having career years. Your trades are working out awesome and a guy who can barely skate is projected to have 94 points. What is laughable is that you think the Flames were so far ahead of the Oilers as an organization before the start of the season but it wasn't too long ago (5 months or less) that you want your GM and coach fired, and several players (that still are there) traded.
Who are you referring to that is on track for 94P
The rest is rubbish..
Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Who are you referring to that is on track for 94P
The rest is rubbish..
It does seem like rubbish. Brouwer gone, Stajan gone, Hamilton gone (great trade there for Hanifin and Lindholm, I'd say) Lazar down in Stockton where he belongs.

Added some great talent, Neal has been a dud but I'm told to be patient and he will be an animal in the playoffs...yeah.

Totally laughable. Twenty points worth of laughing so far. But there is still a magic game in hand so maybe they can turn it around.

Rebuild harder.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-21-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
The problem is that for a Flames fan anything prior to the start of this season is too far in the past to discuss or remember. It is going good now so lets not talk about anything else. Let's say the Oilers give you a buy on the first 20 years and spot you 4 cups. Start the comparison at 1989 when you won cup and since then the Flames made the cup final once in 2004. The Oilers won the cup in 1990 and made the final once since in 2006. Other than that, neither has done anything to really speak of other than the Flames in the last 4 months.

Well, to be fair, I wasn't watching the 17/18 Flames team on the weekend but the current one.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I remember the 80's Flames Oilers very well (ok some gaps but that's a different thread) , that was some epic hockey that new hockey fans will never experience. I just don't keep bringing up the 84-85 Oilers, or the 89 Flames cause it is irrelevant to current seasons. Oiler fans love the past.

I don't recall ever saying that the Flames we so far ahead of the Oilers as an organization, maybe something about a 10 year rebuild that's still going on, or numerous 1st overall picks but I don't know. I made a statement on how would be interesting to see how your management would react to everyone walking out on another crap start to a game. Not sure how that triggered this rant but whatever.

For wanting our coach fired uumm yeah Gulutzan was brutal, and he got fired as you know as you guys scooped that up. How's that working for yeah?? The players whoever they are that your referring to, that I wanted trading that are still here must be playing better under Peters.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
See ya!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
See ya!
Maybe there cooking up a deal with Toronto. Toronto needs goal tending right now. Babcock might think he can get something out of Talbot. Last time I checked Nylander was on the 4th line. Anything’s possible in love and war!

BW
Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe there cooking up a deal with Toronto. Toronto needs goal tending right now. Babcock might think he can get something out of Talbot. Last time I checked Nylander was on the 4th line. Anything’s possible in love and war!

BW
As nice as Nylander would be, I still think defense is in more trouble. I was at the Carolina game, center ice, 20th row. It looked like Carolina was on the PP the whole 1st period. Getting Klefbom back will help, but I think we still need more. Is there even a time table Sekera?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Oilers fans don’t matter.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Banned

I can't forget the Taylor Hall trade for Larson . Larson would "maybe" be a third pairing in Clgy. Yes the Oilers need defence alright
Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 PM

I hear all this talk about if and when Sekera comes back he will make a difference! I honestly don’t think he will ever be the guy that will make a difference on this team. He is done!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Banned

John Shannon last night said the days of yelling, kicking garbage cans, throwing sticks do not work anymore Saying that he followed it up with the Oilers are dealing with a room of MILLENNIALS..Good luck
Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 PM

This whole My dad can beat up your dad shtick is hilariously juvenile, yet oddly par for the course on AO for the most part ... carry on