Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Recurve bow for a beginner

Hi all,
I am thinking about getting into recreational archery and am considering a recurve bow. I am not looking into archery hunting at this time, strictly for fun. I hunt with a rifle.

I have absolutely no idea about what size and draw weight I should get. I am 6 feet, average build. There are lots of options out there but I have no idea where to even start or what size I should be getting. I also have to add that I want to keep it cheap as I am just getting into it.
Seen some recurve online on the cabelas website that seem to fit the bill but I am looking for opinions and tips from the pros on here.
Thanks in advance for any info or tips!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Hi all,
I am thinking about getting into recreational archery and am considering a recurve bow. I am not looking into archery hunting at this time, strictly for fun. I hunt with a rifle.

I have absolutely no idea about what size and draw weight I should get. I am 6 feet, average build. There are lots of options out there but I have no idea where to even start or what size I should be getting. I also have to add that I want to keep it cheap as I am just getting into it.
Seen some recurve online on the cabelas website that seem to fit the bill but I am looking for opinions and tips from the pros on here.
Thanks in advance for any info or tips!
Hey there tacomama;

Far from a pro, as I've just started myself! The draw weight and such is all going to depend on your capability to pull. I myself (185cm male, 97 kg) pull a 50lb (and find it hard because weak arm muscles, but I'm getting better!). My wife just bought a 40lb, as she found the 30 lbs too easy, and wanted to get into hunting (which requires a minimum of 40lb draw).

We both bought our bows from Cabelas (she got the Night Hawk and I the Smokey Mountain). Both are excellent bows at a low cost; I highly recommend them!

Hope this helps a bit;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Extend your arms and hands out and have a friend measure the distance between your middle fingers. Take that distance and divide by 2.5. This should be your approximate draw length. This will help you decide which bow to get. The recurve bow length should be about 2 times your draw length.

This website has good info for beginners.
http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/b...ltimate-guide/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 AM

The night hawk is an awesome choice for a lower budget recurve. One in 35 or 40 lbs would be more than enough to learn on. They are really quite nice for what their worth.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 AM

go to Jimbows they will help you out on draw weight and length
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 AM

All good stuff, thanks everyone !