Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 02:51 PM

Default Market Meltdown?

DOW down 3.43%

Oct 12 was 28837. Now 26591

TSX down 2.71%

Oct 9 was 16562. Now 15586
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 PM

just pre election jitters....
Old 10-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
just pre election jitters....
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...10-1029734444#

Looks like combo of election with Covid.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-28-2020, 05:01 PM

combo of election covid with a side of no stimulus package.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Yup.

Markets go up, markets go down.

If you chose to invest in equities you’ve chosen to play a game where volatility happens. You should be prepared to handle 50-60-70% drops over time.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 PM

Challenge accepted.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:36 PM

Hold my beer!
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Looks like some folks south of the border are getting pretty jumpy.

I know some people in the deep south, today they are talking about guns and ammo being pulled from store shelves.

No one seems to know exactly why, just that it has something to do with the election.

No I did not hear that on faceplant or dimwitter.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Yup.

Markets go up, markets go down.

If you chose to invest in equities you’ve chosen to play a game where volatility happens. You should be prepared to handle 50-60-70% drops over time.
Wow. Your advisor is really really bad.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:29 PM

Default Not a meltdown...thawing slightly

I try not to ruminate on it but I'm down nearly 200k since last Wednesday, the more I think about it, the more my head hurts. It's been a wild ride and I expect it won't settle out unto next Tuesday. I'm looking to dump a pile more in right now... as Buffett said, be greedy when folks are nervous, be nervous when they are greedy. I still avoid O&G stock

I wish they hold the darn election sooner...
Old 10-28-2020, 08:32 PM

HUV.T is a fun one right now if you're sick of blackjack.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:04 PM

Started doing my own investing this year and I’ve learned a few things along the way. First of all realize your an investor and not a trader. Only traders care about these daily/weekly swings. Investors pick good companies and funds and ride the wave. On days like today it’s best to not even look.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Ha. Mine is market history.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Ha. Mine is market history.
So it is not based on using your own money, just conjecture. Figures.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
So it is not based on using your own money, just conjecture. Figures.
Lol.

Trades have taken place every second pictured on this graph. Not all of them were good ones. If the guy was somehow wrong in what he said, no one would have gic, etc accounts. Risk management would not exist.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:28 PM

If Biden wins (heavens forbid) the market will be a droppin and guaranteed the Democrats will blame it on covid, seeing that bs already.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
If Biden wins (heavens forbid) the market will be a droppin and guaranteed the Democrats will blame it on covid, seeing that bs already.
My whole portfolio has depended on that attitude for 15 years. ..

Please spread the word.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
BS. Look at the market gains during Obama years and compare them to Trump. I am talking about pure numbers, not political preferences as many guys like to deflect to right away and call everyone a liberal or whatever. Keep in mind that Obama picked up the economy in ruins as opposed to Trump who took over the hottest economy on record. Again, just numbers without calling me Trudeau supporter (I am not) and whatever. There is no evidence that market will do worse under Biden (no, I am not a fan).

P. S. In regards to your last statement, what do Trump and Republicans blame the epic fallout on? Pandemic, obviously, which is really here and to stay with us for a while, as well as Democrats.

P. P. S. The only reason the market is where it is today is that they threw an unimaginable amount of money at it. Now they refuse to throw more for the time being and look where it is going. It is almost amusing that people scream about “the market” under any presidency. Look at the graph I posted above.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 AM

Check out the cumulative losses during The Great Depression:

Stock Market Yearly Historical Returns from 1921 to Presentow Jones Index - TradingNinvestment

https://tradingninvestment.com/stock...rical-returns/

So if we know that the “War to end all wars” - didn’t, why would we think that something relatively minor like The Great Depression would end all depressions? Tough times are just a matter of time. So are good times. “What goes around comes around.”

Then there’s what happens when economic powerhouses loose their historic advantages. Here’s what was the world’s second largest economy. A huge manufacturing economy. Check out the cumulative losses starting at its 1980s peak. Note that 2 decades after its peak (2010) it was down a whopping 70% from that peak.

Nikkei 225 Index - 67 Year Historical Chart | MacroTrends
https://www.macrotrends.net/2593/nik...cal-chart-data

Last edited by KinAlberta; 10-29-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:32 PM

Markets hate uncertainty and right now we are in the middle of a lot of uncertainty. People are afraid of what will happen to the markets if Trump wins, people are afraid of what will happen to the market if Biden wins, so both sides sell.
the reality is that it doesn't matter who wins, once the issue has been decided the markets will stabilize and carry on.
You can't get yourself to wrapped up on what happens today or what happens this week or if its a bad month, its all cyclical. Just let it ride...looks like a good time to buy some of the stuff that just got beat up.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Lol.

Trades have taken place every second pictured on this graph. Not all of them were good ones. If the guy was somehow wrong in what he said, no one would have gic, etc accounts. Risk management would not exist.
Yup. Not having mutual funds over the past 30 years is just like burning money.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Check out the cumulative losses during The Great Depression:

Stock Market Yearly Historical Returns from 1921 to Presentow Jones Index - TradingNinvestment

https://tradingninvestment.com/stock...rical-returns/

So if we know that the “War to end all wars” - didn’t, why would we think that something relatively minor like The Great Depression would end all depressions? Tough times are just a matter of time. So are good times. “What goes around comes around.”

Then there’s what happens when economic powerhouses loose their historic advantages. Here’s what was the world’s second largest economy. A huge manufacturing economy. Check out the cumulative losses starting at its 1980s peak. Note that 2 decades after its peak (2010) it was down a whopping 70% from that peak.

Nikkei 225 Index - 67 Year Historical Chart | MacroTrends
https://www.macrotrends.net/2593/nik...cal-chart-data

From your DOW Jones link.

So in 1990 the Dow was at 2,633

Now in 202 the Dow is at 26,765

Your point you are making about the past 30 years is what?
Old 10-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
From your DOW Jones link.

So in 1990 the Dow was at 2,633

Now in 202 the Dow is at 26,765

Your point you are making about the past 30 years is what?
My point isn't about the past 30 years, its more about the next 30 years and more importantly, each month and year between now and that future 30 year mark. It’s that I can’t predict the future and I doubt many others can either. So to assume the prices only go up and that the future will only be sunny days can get people into over exposed positions where they can’t handle short term volatility or have invested in areas where they won’t be able to hold on long enough to see a recovery.

I’ve invested primarily in equities for about 45 years now so I know the historic record. Currently my longest held equity is approaching 30 years. I’ve also worked in the investment field. Moreover investing has allowed me to work as I please and not work to just pay bills.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:52 PM

^ Nikkei was an excellent example. We actually studied it in school a bit years ago. Not sure why I did not think about it as a perfect example. Maybe because I have not been doing it for 45 years, lol.

It is not only Japan either. Japan is rather on the extreme end of things (that is why it is actually taught in economics). It has been going on in many places in Asia. Like KinAlberta said, who knows what is going to happen.

Here are Japan, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Germany, and London, for example.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Most of my courses started all return calculations after 1945, ignoring the 1929 crash and WWII treating them as anomalies. However one of the first investment related books I’d read as a teenager was Galbraith’s The Great Crash. Everyone should read it.

Rodriguez has been written up a few times in recent articles. I’d recommend everyone carefully read each one. Try a news search using: Rodriguez FPA

Quote:
Bob Rodriguez – We are Witnessing the Development of a “Perfect Storm” - Articles - Advisor Perspectives

“ I will give the same advice that I got when I was a very young professional back in 1973. I was two years into the field and a gentleman spoke before my investment class. After everybody had walked out, I walked up to Mr. Munger and I asked him, “Sir, if I could only do one thing that would make myself a better investment professional, what would you recommend?” He responded, “Read history, read history, read history.” I have done that over the years. Had you read about the banking crisis of 1907 and what preceded it in the 1890s, you would have recognized it in a form in 2007.”

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...-perfect-storm