Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Build Options - What you value most?

After buying and selling rifles over the last number of years I learnt what I like in a rifle. So I’m going to build my first custom or semi custom (with a donor action) for an all around big game hunting rifle, under 6.5 pds with 22-24” barrel

I picked up a 25-06 a couple of months ago it has a KS Arms barrel, Wildcat Stock, HS Precision mag and a stainless Remington 700 action with a Trigger Tech trigger. It’s a sweet set up. Heading to KS Arms shop next week to handle a few stocks and chat with them.

Going to build one for myself, just would like some insight on how you guys prioritize some of your decision making process...cause it seems a little overwhelming at this point.
  • Stock design/fit - Wildcat, McMillan
  • Action - bolt throw, floor plate or magazine acceptability, Safety design
  • Brass offerings. Do you choose cartridge based on Lapua Brass or Norma?
  • Trigger options? Trigger Tech doesn’t have as many offerings as Timney.
  • warranty and repair - easy of addressing issues with it
  • Anything else I'm missing?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
After buying and selling rifles over the last number of years I learnt what I like in a rifle. So I’m going to build my first custom or semi custom (with a donor action) for an all around big game hunting rifle, under 6.5 pds with 22-24” barrel

I picked up a 25-06 a couple of months ago it has a KS Arms barrel, Wildcat Stock, HS Precision mag and a stainless Remington 700 action with a Trigger Tech trigger. It’s a sweet set up. Heading to KS Arms shop next week to handle a few stocks and chat with them.

Going to build one for myself, just would like some insight on how you guys prioritize some of your decision making process...cause it seems a little overwhelming at this point.
Well, you've seen my favorite , so I am absolutely NO help to you !! LOL
Cat
Old 10-28-2020, 09:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

cartridge...I like one that is not available across the shelf....Went with a 7mm STW build and then the cartridge got commercialized....so went with a 6-284...one of a kind type rifle built to fit me, lefty, but if and I know they wont cuz its a well kept secret just how impractical this cartridge is....shhhh..I tell no lies...build around the cartridge....things will fall into place from their on your one of a kind rifle...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post

With under 6.5# rifle you'll have to cut a lot of weight, dont forget scope and rings. My build was with KS Arms
Action - KS Arms LA Wolverine
Barrel - KS Arms 22"
Caliber - 284win
Stock - Manners EH1, Rem700 Hinged floor plate
Brass - Lapua 6.5x284 necked up to 284win (I choose based on Lapua brass, but you have a lot of good companies now that make specialized brass. ADG, Alpha, Peterson)
Trigger - Trigger Tech, great customer service and wicked triggers. Never had one fail yet. I use Trigger Tech diamonds in my match rifles and Special in my hunting rifle.

Your missing scope rings and scope which adds a bit of weight as well
My build is 9.5#
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE2232Wp..._web_copy_link

I prioritized what I was going to use the rifle for and went from there (Deer/Elk/Moose).
I went, Caliber (Brass/components) - Action/Barrel(Donor/Custom) - Trigger/Stock - Scope

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Build Options - What you value most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
With under 6.5# rifle you'll have to cut a lot of weight, dont forget scope and rings. My build was with KS Arms

Action - KS Arms LA Wolverine

Barrel - KS Arms 22"

Caliber - 284win

Stock - Manners EH1, Rem700 Hinged floor plate

Brass - Lapua 6.5x284 necked up to 284win (I choose based on Lapua brass, but you have a lot of good companies now that make specialized brass. ADG, Alpha, Peterson)

Trigger - Trigger Tech, great customer service and wicked triggers. Never had one fail yet. I use Trigger Tech diamonds in my match rifles and Special in my hunting rifle.

Your missing scope rings and scope which adds a bit of weight as well

My build is 9.5#

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE2232Wp..._web_copy_link

I prioritized what I was going to use the rifle for and went from there (Deer/Elk/Moose).

I went, Caliber (Brass/components) - Action/Barrel(Donor/Custom) - Trigger/Stock - Scope

Hope this helps.

That does help, thanks.

I should of said "6.5 pounds bare rifle" not all in. I will be putting Talley Lightweights and either a Leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 or a Swarovski z5 on it, so it should be still under 8 pounds total weight.

My 25-06 is 6 pounds 3 oz bare, nice weight to carry and shoot.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Most actions are rem 700 based and most are using rem 700 triggers that are interchangeable.

1st thing, is what is the rifles usage?

After this, pick your stock for proper fit.

Action, pick your favourite manufacturer and then choose their appropriate model for usage and weight goals.

Barrel, usage and weight limits again as far as contour, length and balance. Finding something that works.

Bottom metal, really only two common options ai mags or hinged floorplate, or internal mag top load only.

Hard to have a 6.5lb walking gun and also a long range rig at the same time.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk