Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Just a Friendly Reminder...

Hey guys and gals,

Here is your friendly reminder to practice ice safety this season. Hate to see any of you lose your trucks and have to pay the huge environmental fines.

I personally have never gone through the ice, but have any of you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DSbZQrzb8
Old 10-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Did with the quad...nose dived...luckily it was in a few feet of water near shore....wife got me out with her quad.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Sleds on Lac La None 30 yrs ago(obviously turned out ok lol). Not fun.

That 3rd or 4th video where the tracked deck unit backs up and disappears gets me every time I see it.

Of course the usual Darwin candidates on that vid too.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Went through in a truck at lake isle and a quad at fickle lake
Coldest days of my life
Old 10-27-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Coldest days of my life
Where on Fickle Lake? I have been going there since I was a baby, 52 now. Only ever in the summer though. Want to ice fish it one day. Only sledded across to the inlet creek & cut lines back there once. Be good to know any bad areas.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:46 PM

Playing it safe this weekend. Going to use my boat and troll.

Dodger
Old 10-27-2020, 03:59 PM

Only put a leg through near shore. I tend to play it extra safe around the ice. It's not worth risking it.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Never had the pleasure and hope I never do. Always follow tracks already showing on the lake and never take my truck on a lake until January. I walk November and December. Got stuck real bad on Slave one day and had my engine die on calling about ten years ago. That was a thrill.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Did with the quad...nose dived...luckily it was in a few feet of water near shore....wife got me out with her quad.....
Always a good thing to have backup! Must have felt good to her to be the one coming to the rescue haha
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Coldest days of my life
Man! You've been through the ringer. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Glad you are around to tell the tale.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:15 PM

Not a fun experience in water world in winter. When I was about 14 I went through the ice on a creek. I had a pack on and heavy winter clothes. When I fell through I did not touch bottom and remember opening my eyes to see the brown water. I somehow had enough bearings to slide the pack off and started to look and feel for where I fell through. I finally found the broken ice and got my head above water to gasp for air. A few more seconds underwater and I would have been sucking water. I managed to get out and then had a mile and a half to walk home. My clothes froze but I somehow managed to make it home. The creek was only 7 or 8 feet wide at that point and a person would have never guessed it was so deep.

Beware the beaver dam and around beaver houses. Beavers need at least 6 feet of water so they don't get frozen in and for their feed piles during winter. I have since learned how to read the ice around beaver houses and mark beaver runs before ice on. I have a rule now that if I'm going early ice fishing on thinner ice I will only fish in water 4 to 5 feet deep.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-28-2020, 08:20 AM

Put s skidder through a beaver pond once, hope I never feel that kind of fear again
Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Was out for a drive on Sunday, saw a slough near a house and you could see where someone had started to scrape the snow off the ice near the shore I assume to skate ?? anyway you could also see a hole about 4' in diameter and some 2 x 4 's laying on the ice near the hole, I know they got out because you could see the tracks in the snow headed to the shore.
I assume someone found out that the ice wasn't quit thick enough to support a human.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Sleds on Lac La None 30 yrs ago(obviously turned out ok lol). Not fun.

That 3rd or 4th video where the tracked deck unit backs up and disappears gets me every time I see it.

Of course the usual Darwin candidates on that vid too.
Haha, doing a presentation on Darwin today. Each time I do this I always want to pull up a video of people doing stupid things and ask the audience if they think natural selection is being successful on humans or not.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Saw this guy on McGregor. Bitterly cold day in January a few years ago. It had been chinooking hard for several days prior, creating unsafe conditions.
We had driven by this spot about an hour before this pic was taken and the van was not there.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Saw this guy on McGregor. Bitterly cold day in January a few years ago. It had been chinooking hard for several days prior, creating unsafe conditions.
We had driven by this spot about an hour before this pic was taken and the van was not there.

Yikes! Hate to be the owner of that vehicle!
Old 11-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Was out for a drive on Sunday, saw a slough near a house and you could see where someone had started to scrape the snow off the ice near the shore I assume to skate ?? anyway you could also see a hole about 4' in diameter and some 2 x 4 's laying on the ice near the hole, I know they got out because you could see the tracks in the snow headed to the shore.
I assume someone found out that the ice wasn't quit thick enough to support a human.
That's a good way to get some cold feet. At least they went about it somewhat intelligently.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:47 PM

Wanamun trestles... classic area. Seen many people and vehicles go through the ice. My dad saved a kid who fell in upstream before he was swept under the ice.

There is a current that flows in the lake as a result of the power generation.

Devil Lake has spring and soft ice.

Lac St Anne has some areas prone to rot.

All reservoirs. Water drops and creates weakened air pockets as well as currents to thin ice unpredictably.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-08-2020, 12:51 PM

Why is lac ste Anne prone to it? I have heard this before. Any specific areas? How is west cove on lac ste Anne?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribolovac View Post
Why is lac ste Anne prone to it? I have heard this before. Any specific areas? How is west cove on lac ste Anne?
Always stayed away from weed beds and shallow islands. As the winter progresses the aquatic vegetation dies and rots. The gases given off rises and causes the ice to turn yellow and orange and is no longer solid.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Point on west end of lake ~3km south of the narrows. Seen 2” of ice in that area right on that point where it gets super shallow where rest of lake has 2-3ft of ice in the middle of February. Bad spot. Seen trucks go in there on two separate occasions. Couple of bad spots apparently between bird sh!t and castle islands. Stick to roads well travelled on that lake.

Battle lake has many springs to watch out for. Devils has swallowed its share of vehicles over the years also.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
As another poster mentioned, stay away from the bridge at the narrows and east of Rock island.

I fell through the ice on Lac St. Anne 20 years ago. But it was a man made hole.
I was walking back to the truck with my brother in law as a snow storm had started and it was -20. I just happen to step into a perfectly cut 3'×3' square hole in the 2 feet of ice.
1/2" of ice ice formed over and snow covered it.
No markings whatsoever.
This was about 200 yards west of the bridge in 12-15 fow.
Thank God my BIL was there to pull me out, because there was no way I could get out on my own.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:19 PM

Two trucks went down in Sylvan last year .... hopefully this year we will have ZERO break through .... stay safe & away from Marina Bay entrance and Palm Bay area.

D.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:23 PM

Found some old pic's even big trucks go through, I believe this was on the ice road up to the Diavik Diamond Mine.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:10 AM

Wow I helped build the diavik diamond mine accommodations that was quite the camp. Winter roads are taking longer and longer to freeze every year now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2020, 06:31 PM

Thanks for info on lac ste Anne!!
Old 11-13-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Found some old pic's even big trucks go through, I believe this was on the ice road up to the Diavik Diamond Mine.

I'd hate to be the one that had to pay the bill to get that semi out. I've heard that the minute you have to get divers involved the price of extraction sky rockets.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Suspended User

Pulled my brother out of Open Creek Dam long ago. He froze stiff in the moments it took to run to the truck. It was the same area where 2 fishermen hooked the dead body of the caretaker who fell through.

Had a buddy lose a co worker plowing snow on Rainbow Lake. Looked behind his grader and when he looked forward the other grader was simply gone. Ice slab tipped and dumped him.

Wiebe from YouTube fell through, sounds like it was pretty close to fatal. Went under a couple of times. That's what happens when you assume that the ice is safe when a warm spell hits.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
\

Wiebe from YouTube fell through, sounds like it was pretty close to fatal. Went under a couple of times. That's what happens when you assume that the ice is safe when a warm spell hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKEqR5ukIY

Absolutely insane video. This guy is one of the most experienced at falling in while ice fishing (has done it on purpose several times in order to teach others...) but it could have had a very different outcome for anyone else...
Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKEqR5ukIY

Absolutely insane video. This guy is one of the most experienced at falling in while ice fishing (has done it on purpose several times in order to teach others...) but it could have had a very different outcome for anyone else...
He is lucky.