Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 10:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Serengeti Fishing Charters END OF YEAR Report 2020

Hello to all of you !

First off, we hope you and your families are all safe and doing well during these trying times. Here in British Columbia we are doing well, nice and secluded in little ol' Port Hardy and our covid numbers are pretty good in the whole province, especially Northern Vancouver Island.

This summer was a challenging one from a logistics standpoint and even trying to get full for the summer with the border closure was not easy as like many lodges a good chunk of our guests come from south of the border. Somehow we were able to fill up almost entirely for our season though. We want to thank every single person who came up with us this summer, and those that will be with us in 2021 who couldn't make it this year. Many of those were from your great province of Alberta (proud to wear my I <3 LNG and I <3 Canadian Oil and Gas shirts this summer). Without you all we wouldn't know what we would of done. We are one lucky family business to have guests, who are true friends, that are as loyal, trusting, and understanding as you all. Luckily, we are one of the lodges who were able to open this summer at full bore and keep our head above water, many lodges on the coast are in a very hard place right now as are most tourism based businesses. We shall see what summer 2021 has in store. If covid still is around without a vaccine I know Haida Gwaii, Central Coast, and a few other area lodges will not be able to open (due to logistics and First Nations demands). We will be OPEN though!

Fishing this summer was absolutely great in May, June and July for Chinook salmon! Just lights out really almost everyday, only weather really slowed us down occasionally during those months. August for Chinook was slower than the usual year when it comes to quantity (usually some non stop action), but size was very good this year. Some big Chinook around and quite a few in the 30-40lb range. Coho this year was on fire, right from the end of July through to the end of the season (one week gap it slowed but otherwise on fire). Spin casting for them started up around the 24th of August and from the 27th to the 6th of September was great with a ton of fish around and even some triple headers on them with the spinning rods which is complete organized chaos! Just an absolute blast!

Halibut fishing was consistently good all season. Again, the only thing that really slowed it down was rough water. This season was definitely a lot rougher seas than we are used to, and it seems to alternate (2019 was calmest season ever) so 2021 will hopefully continue that trend and be calm for the most part. When we got to where we wanted to there were A LOT of fish in the 40-70lb range this season, perfect to eat and still get lots of meat off of them. We had 28 halibut over 100lbs this season, with our largest being 254lbs caught in early June. Absolute hog! Quantity and size were very good and even releasing a ton of fish under 20lbs which is very good sign for the future of the halibut fishery as well. IF the border does remain closed, it is likely we will have a 2 fish halibut limit this upcoming season with NO size limit on either fish, so you can go home with two fish any size.

Our Lingcod and rockfish areas were absolutely loaded this year! The most I've ever seen, has to be about 95% of the days we went out for them we got them super fast and great eating sizes as well. The largest one caught this year being 54lbs. Lots of fish in the 12-20lb range which is really good for the future of the fishery and considering we are the only ones that fish the whole area, that means a ton of fish going forward for all our guests! Rockfish on spin casting gear is literally non stop with fish after fish and absolutely great for kids too, heck, even the adults thought it was some of the most fun of the trip. Plus, they are absolutely delicious to eat!

We are looking forward to our 2021 season already. We are about 90% booked for the whole summer, and sure that will get up there a bit more in the next few weeks. Our season will be full bore after Brianna and I's wedding, May 22nd, onward. We are looking forward to almost the same guide crew as 2020 as well. We will be running 4 boats about 1/3 of the summer so that means Dave Sr will be on the water a little more next season. If you are interested in a trip in 2021, let us know. We only have a handful of dates open for the whole season so contact me as soon as you can!

Love to have you all up in 2021 and show you one heck of a fishing season! Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you!

Tight Lines
David Summers Jr

PS - Pics to come shortly!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 AM
AO Sponsor

Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM

well done the pics are awsome
Old 10-15-2020, 06:14 PM

Congrats on a great season Dave. Thanks for taking all of us along on your adventures. Tight lines my friend!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 PM

Glad you had a decent summer, we need you guys. Great pics, thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Great write-up and summary! Well worth the read for anyone interested in West Coast - especially Hardy

Interesting development on hali limits. I hope for the sport fishing industry this actually happens and makes a difference.

Great pics as well. Best of success wishes in the upcoming year.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:33 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks guys! Still trying to figure out a good website to use to add more pictures...have lots more from July and August. Will work on that this weekend ! Love to have lots of you up again in 2021, still only about 3 dates open for the season, and love to give you guys a great trip!

Tight Lines
David