Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Skinner peep sight

hi everyone, finally got my skinner peep sight in the mail after about 2.5 months of waiting. Sat in customs for a very long time. I emailed skinner about it and they said wait 2 more weeks and I'd I hadn't got it they would send another.
Talk about customer service. Luckily they didn't have to send another, couldn't believe the offer. They must really care about their reputation!

Anyways, I made the mistake of not getting different apertures for different ranges. It is my first peep sight, live and learn.

Does anyone have experience with skinner sights and possibly other brand apertures that fit, I really don't want to wait another 2-3 months if it can be avoided.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 AM

Unscrew the insert, shoot with the big hole. For hunting that will be the best setup. The smaller holes are fine for target shooting but you want the most light possible for hunting. As soon as you get used to the larger hole you won't have any trouble holding under 2" at 100 yards. Skinner makes a great sight, and as you already learned, their service is second to none. I don't have anything that would fit the Skinner sight but I didn't look for any either. Always shot it without an insert. They should be able to throw a few in a padded envelope and bypass customs all together.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:19 AM

The Williams apertures use the same threads as skinner, they’re just longer so they don’t sit flush with the large ring.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Unscrew the insert, shoot with the big hole. For hunting that will be the best setup. The smaller holes are fine for target shooting but you want the most light possible for hunting. As soon as you get used to the larger hole you won't have any trouble holding under 2" at 100 yards. Skinner makes a great sight, and as you already learned, their service is second to none. I don't have anything that would fit the Skinner sight but I didn't look for any either. Always shot it without an insert. They should be able to throw a few in a padded envelope and bypass customs all together.
Today is going to be my first time taking it out with new sights, and I'm really not concerned with anything past 150 yards , so I'll start getting used to it!
They sent the sights to me in a padded envelope, maybe covid has tightened up customs?

Thanks Ronan, I will look into the williams aperture if i find it difficult to shoot how I want with what I've got.

I hit tennis ball size groups at 200yards with my scoped .243 I think softball with 30-30 @150 yards/peeps sights is a reasonable expectation.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:06 PM

Skinner makes a great sight and service is second to none. I have a Skinner Lo -Pro set-up on my Krico 30-06 /20" bbl Bush rifle . As Dean suggested , use the larger ghost ring . You should'nt have a problem with 2" groups at 100 yds or so.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:46 PM

Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:05 AM

The same as Dean2 does , my family always took out the insert of our rear aperture sights when we hunted with them and I still do.
You want fast alignment of the sights and target and thieves by far the best way to get that done .
Even on a set match irons , the rule of thumb is always to go bigger than smaller if the light conditions are constantly changing .
Cat
Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 AM

Can you not drill out the insert to a larger size?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Can you not drill out the insert to a larger size?
Easier just to pull the smaller insert them pug it back in later
Cat
Old 10-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Easier just to pull the smaller insert them pug it back in later
Cat
Unless you want a size in between the insert and the insert threads.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless you want a size in between the insert and the insert threads.
Personally I would not waste my time drilling it , if it was for a range rifle I would simply go with an adjustable diopter .
For a hunting rifle in my experience the bigger the rear aperture the better.
Cat
Old 10-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally I would not waste my time drilling it , if it was for a range rifle I would simply go with an adjustable diopter .
For a hunting rifle in my experience the bigger the rear aperture the better.
Cat

I agree. The Skinner Peep, without an insert, is about the perfect size for hunting. Most long term makers of peep sites have about the same size hole with no insert. It isn't an accident that Lyman, Williams and Skinner chose that no insert peep diameter.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Well fellas,

I didn't get out on Sunday unfortunately, my wife didn't get home until a few hour later than expected. I took my boy to play in some falls leaves at the park. His first fall being able to walk, it was a fun time. The wind was just heavy enough to gently shower him with leaves from the trees.

I will have a very full long day this weekend to do some practicing. I will let you guys know how I did, and post some pictures if I remember to take any!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Got to the range a couple times now. I'm starting to warm up to the sights, I'm not able to lower my aperture anymore and my groups are still a couple inches high at 25 yards.
Maybe I need a new front sight so I can get lower. Shooting a bit to the right still, but that is an easy adjustment. After about 100 rounds through the 30-30 in the past 2 days with a brass butt plate my shoulder is a bit sore.

All 4 groups were with different loads. 3 of the 4 groups I was aiming dead centre, bottom left I was aiming at bottom of blue circle.

Don't forget guys, I'm basically brand spanking new to firearms, got my pal a year ago and never shot a gun before that!

With that said, all input is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201028_212754.jpg (35.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 09:38 PM

Looking good so far. Move out to 100 yards. Use a slight picture that puts the top of the front post right at the centre bottom of the target circle. The idea is not to cover your desired hit point with the psot so u can see where you want to hit properly. Shooting at 100 will give you a better read on the ammo and your shooting development. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Looking good so far. Move out to 100 yards. Use a slight picture that puts the top of the front post right at the centre bottom of the target circle. The idea is not to cover your desired hit point with the psot so u can see where you want to hit properly. Shooting at 100 will give you a better read on the ammo and your shooting development. Keep up the good work.

That's funny, I had been of the mind that I should cover the desired point of impact. I will try setting it up to have my post just below POI.
At the moment I am kind of limited to the 50 yard range at shooting edge. The only other spot I have found to shoot outdoors is a 4 hr round trip drive time.
I am on a wait lists for closer ranges though.

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
Got to the range a couple times now. I'm starting to warm up to the sights, I'm not able to lower my aperture anymore and my groups are still a couple inches high at 25 yards.
Maybe I need a new front sight so I can get lower. Shooting a bit to the right still, but that is an easy adjustment. After about 100 rounds through the 30-30 in the past 2 days with a brass butt plate my shoulder is a bit sore.

All 4 groups were with different loads. 3 of the 4 groups I was aiming dead centre, bottom left I was aiming at bottom of blue circle.

Don't forget guys, I'm basically brand spanking new to firearms, got my pal a year ago and never shot a gun before that!

With that said, all input is welcome.

Looks like your off to a great start. As Dean said use a 6 o'clock hold so your bead does not cover the target. With a 100yd zero you should be somewhere close to 2" high at 50 yds. Looking pretty good though so far...