Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 03:46 PM

Default Hunting prep.

Well this weekend I started making food for our annual hunting trip. Made 2 loaves of sour dough bread that is now in the freezer. As well as finished off 3 lbs of maple bacon I started 2 weeks ago. Only mistake I made with that was trying a few pieces after I sliced it. Wife was upstairs and came down because the aroma filled the house. After she tried it she told me in no uncertain terms I can't take it all hunting. I have 2 of the last 4 packages of moose burger thawing so I can make chili to freeze for the trip. Next weekend I will get a stew going on Saturday, then Sunday we head out to get the tent set up. Nights this week will see me going through gear and getting that all lined up. Dang it's been a hell of a year not seeing a lot of family, grandkids etc. Missed not having our hunting meeting where we decide who is responsible for bringing what gear. Going to enjoy that time in the woods.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:00 PM

Just finished prepping for our sheep trip LOL. Horses are in the corral and everything is packed in the truck ready to go for 5 am.
Quite a bit of snow out west so we will see how it goes.

Good Luck to all the hunters this year!!!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Oh.....and did I mention how excited my wife is that I will be gone for a week!!!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:12 PM

Just gotta take a heater and a chair back into one of the blinds, but that can be done on game day if need be.

The rest is pretty simple.

Being as opening day where we hunt is a Sunday some folks might be relegated to a brush pile and a 5 gallon pail. Sucks to be them as the daughter and I have called dibs.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM

I have 2 bags

I grab them and I have everything

My rifle is always in my vehicle
Old 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM

Camp is all set up!! New outhouse with heater lol!! 8 guys in camp 7 moose tags!! The young guys are going to have to do alot of work! I broke 2 ribs last week and hunting partner is dealing with sciatica!! Last thing on us old guys mind age 47/50 is hauling out moose next week, but nobody likes a giver upper!!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 PM

Well set up camp next Sunday and head in on the 7th. Not sure if my partner will make it. A month ago he got shingles. His ribs still feel like someone kicked them in. So we will have somewhere between 3 to 5 of us with my son having the only moose tag.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 PM

good luck!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Camp is all set up!! New outhouse with heater lol!! 8 guys in camp 7 moose tags!! The young guys are going to have to do alot of work! I broke 2 ribs last week and hunting partner is dealing with sciatica!! Last thing on us old guys mind age 47/50 is hauling out moose next week, but nobody likes a giver upper!!
47 + 50 you're in your Prime man

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Prep for me is mostly just sucking up to my wife the last week of October to gain as much grace as I can. Sent her to a wellness retreat this last weekend while I stayed home with the kids and did laundry, vacuumed, changed oil in her vehicle, etc. I figure that will get me 'til mid November. I can't sleep the day before the season starts anyways, so I save all my packing for then
Old 10-26-2020, 12:37 PM

Packed up the truck and loaded the quad on the trailer. All thats left is the perishables and clothes. Leaving Saturday bright and and early. A friend of ours is up there already.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM

Spent a week in camp end of September so most everything is ready to go for a mid November whitetail hunt. Just have to put some new batteries in the quads, and I'd like to get some wood to haul up on the trailer to avoid burning up valuable daylight in what are short November days. Going to add floodlight or two to run off the genset for camp. When it gets dark at 5 I don't think there is such a thing as to much light for the evening.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:54 PM

My plans have changed rapidly several times. Guess I shouldn’t have decided to buy a house the day before the season started... oh well the one elk tag I have is easy to fill. If I can just put up with all the people out there this year! People everywhere and half aren’t even hunting just general recreation.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:01 PM

I’m curious to hear from the guys that have said they set their camps up ahead of time. Do you ever have issues with theft/vandalism?

I had plans to do the same this year to try to maximize our time hunting. Trying to coordinate to teenagers schedules to get some hunting done normally means more time driving and less hunting.

I just really worry about something happening to our gear. It’s taken me half my life to afford the stuff that makes up our camp and I certainly couldn’t afford to replace it right now.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:26 PM

I've worried about it. But our camp is an hour quad ride ( if muskeg frozen) from where the trucks are parked. As well it's set in 200 yrs from the cutline. Yes they could follow the quad tracks in the snow to our camp, but it's way off the main line traveled. We probably have a better chance of problems with the trucks being bothered than our camp. But never ever had an issue either way.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:07 PM

I've had it happen to friends, to each their own but I won't leave my camp out unattended if I'm not going to be there. If my previous post was one of the ones that came off that way what I meant was that we already went through the gear on a previous trip and it's just a matter of throwing it on the truck/trailer. A wall tent/frame/stove is pretty expensive to replace indeed.

Add to that I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you are only legally allowed to have a camp in one spot for 14 days on public land.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 PM

We've set the wall tent up in late August, few of our group bow-hunted elk, then we went back in for rifle season. Either on foot or horseback, no quad zone. Pull it early Dec in azz deep snow & cold. Lol. Never vandalized or critter damaged.

Day hunt just the fanny pack all set or the full backpack bigger game. Always ready, always fun to poke through it to be sure.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Just finished prepping for our sheep trip LOL. Horses are in the corral and everything is packed in the truck ready to go for 5 am.
Quite a bit of snow out west so we will see how it goes.

Good Luck to all the hunters this year!!!
We heard there was a pile of snow up top. Were you able to get up there?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
We heard there was a pile of snow up top. Were you able to get up there?

Check out my post on your Sheep Closer thread......it was a week I would like to forget LOL