Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Default Lay out blinds

Curious what people use for lay out blinds for hunting in fields. Does use the northern flight renegade series blinds? If so what do you think of them?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 PM

Waste of $ and set up time.

Proper camo ground sheet...... your good to go

Zero profile.

Way less crap to pack n set up.

Able to change your shooting spot in 30s or so.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 PM

I love our zero gravity blinds. no pins set up in 15 seconds.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 10-26-2020, 10:39 PM

I have too much trouble getting in and out of a layout these days, so whenever I can I use a stand up willow style blind, or the canoe.
Cat
Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 AM
Gone Hunting

I have a couple of Canada Goose decoy layout blinds.

They are the worst blinds I have ever tried.

They have sat in the corner of my garden shed for several years now because I can't make them work for me and will never use them again.

When I was younger I used to just lay down beside a swath and pull some stalks over myself. That worked okay but as I got older I found that it was too hard to get into shooting position from flat on my back.

The decoy blinds seemed like a good idea because I would be semi reclined in them. Only thing I didn't know, or maybe just never thought about was those decoys. I had to flip them up before I could even start to get into shooting position, plus they had a tendency to not flip far enough which left them blocking a good part of the field of fire.

After taking too long to get into shooting position ten times in a row I gave up and permanently retired them.

For an old guy like me, layout blinds just don't work.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-27-2020, 07:12 AM

I've got a layout blind a ghillie suit and whites. I use the layout blind the least. If it's white outside I lay on the ground in white. If there is no snow I use a ghillie suit. I also bring a carpet to lay on. Most of the time I'm in a ghillie sui (this one I paid $60 on amazon and right now it's $115) I convinced two of my friends to get the ghillie suit also. If laying flat on the ground is a problem is a problem then this is not for you but I love it.

I freshen it up with this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-COLO...-oz/1000459617
Old 10-27-2020, 08:01 AM

Our lay downs rarely come out of the closet. We went white this season, and will continue developing that approach. I kept saying we should have lawn chairs, and in all seriousness, I will be trying a chair in the set next season.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 AM

We went A-Frame this year, probably never going back.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM

Don't know why everyone is so anti laydown all of a sudden must be getting old and grouchy haha.
Jokes aside we have 2 northern flight blinds in the trailer and they work great. Only complaint is the doors are sometimes prone to not shutting perfectly. Another recommendation is the tanglefree deadzone layout blind. Lots of comfort and room to fit your gear with plenty of stubble straps.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-27-2020, 02:21 PM

Zero gravity blinds awesome as mentioned. Comfy! FA sub blinds great if we’re bottom. Like my a frames when i have willow or marsh. Most comfy
Old 10-27-2020, 04:55 PM

I bought a cheap Cabelas Blind(around $150) and fixed some snaps to it so i can add different camo sheets to the cover of it. Its been used a good number of times over about 6-7 seasons and is still holding up, also works decent as just a field chair/backrest too if just wearing whites in the decoys.

Most successful, proven and efficient for me has been two 4ft pieces of rebar hammered into the ground and an old pillow case sowed to fit on as a slip on back rest.
You can get really good quality inflatable ass pads that deflate into nothing at Campers Village.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 PM

I've just been lying on the ground with a camo sheet thrown over me. Some great advantages, it's cheap and easy to set up. Some disadvantages, it's not terribly comfortable lying on the ground and occasionally I get caught up in the sheet. I'd like to switch over to either white or stubble camo, depending on the weather, and a "goose chair". I spent about 30 minutes looking on-line the other day though and couldn't find a reasonable chair. They seem to be either $300 or $30 with terrible reviews.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:40 PM

I'm quite happy with the comfort level in a layout blind, I have no issue with getting up, just an issue with stuff on the RH side and behind. Can't turn worth krap in it. Tried a willow blind this year, haven't done that in a long time, it is way better for mobility, but, in the fields we hunt most of the time, sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Where I live we usually have the option of using a fence line for a blind.
Many have enough tall grass and small shrubs for a good hide.

And most fields are small enough for hunting from a fence line or a drainage ditch.

When I hunted Geese over at Daysland a couple of years ago we used dry sloughs for cover. That worked awesome. Nothing to build or set up, just a folding chair and bull rushes and we were set.

Up here we used to use willow blinds but the outfitters like to start their season up here and they like to use willow blinds so by the time the Geese here are fat enough to be worth hunting they won't go anywhere near a willow blind.

George Bernard Shaw