Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Default New bow vs old bow

Need bit of help here gents!
Still a bit new to archery, so I have the chance to buy a used 2010 G5 Quest Primal package for around $600 but am wondering if it just worth getting a brand new $700-800 bow package instead.
Surely a top of the line bow from 10years ago would be a mid range bow now due to tech trickle down?

Anyway really not sure how bow depreciation works when's it's almost past the 10year mark!

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 10-21-2020, 06:48 AM

Not much has changed in 10 years in the velocity department, but draw cycles most likely have. My 10 year old bow still draws comfortably for me and spits out arrows at or very near advertised speeds of today.

The difference between the old VS new packages though may be in the accessories. If the previous owner upgraded the accessories of the Primal, then it's a good bet that they will be better than what's on the brand new package - but you'd have to do some research between the two for sure.

I bought my "top of the line" bow as a bare bow in 2010, then bought accessories to go along with it. Accessories that I wanted, not what the manufacturer got a deal on a bulk order and slapped on the bow to call it a ready-to-shoot package.

If you list the complete packages to AO, then you'll get a much more detailed response.

J.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:12 PM

What's included in the package?

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-22-2020, 07:34 AM

I bought a new prime this year after always buys used bows and am wishing i would have bought another used one spent way to much on the new one
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM

In all the research I’ve done in the last 5 years, there’s not much argument for buying a new bow other than piece of mind and warranty, although great bow companies like APA will usually stand behind their products for years and year. The price tag on new bows does not reflect much of any changes in technology and manufacturing. You’re paying for the hype of a new bow. I’ve bought many used bows over the years, and I have never been let down. Accessories are what make or break a ready to shoot package bow, so that’s where you either make or lose money. The bows usually last for decades, and if taken care of properly, should all be shooters.