Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
The Block Shop just sent me a quote for $15,400.00
Gah!
Old 01-30-2023, 05:30 PM

Do you have a place to do a swap?
Old 01-30-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Hey guys need some help with my 2012 5.7l Hemi Dodge Ram 2500. Truck has 250,000K on it with no rust yet. Any way last week had a diagnostic code #7 cylinder misfire. Drove it for a week and took it in to my local mechanic. He switched the coil pack and #7 still misfired. He changed out the plugs with new ones and the same thing.He now thinks it could be the cam that needs to be replaced. Anyway he suggested I take it to the dealer to confirm and if it is the cam to have them do the work as he is not set up to be able to take the cab off and tie the bay up for that amount of time.
So if it is a cam I could be looking at $5000.00+ for repair.
Would you consider putting in a new or rebuilt engine ? and how much more would that cost?
Trying to find a good used truck of the same year is $18k++ which I don't have.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Sounds odd that your local mechanic could not accurately diagnosis your problem, not rocket science here.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:05 PM

Sounds odd your local mechanic can't identify your problem, not rocket science here, start with compression test.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
The Block Shop just sent me a quote for $15,400.00
You need to spend the $300 dollars to have it properly assessed by a mechanic. I wouldn’t jump right to the conclusion that your engine is bad if your oil is clean and it still pulls fine. Could be something relatively minor like a leaky fuel injector or a bad control module/wiring.

I mean yes it could be the engine, but I’d spend the money to find out for sure then decide what to do.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-31-2023, 06:53 AM

I had a 2011 2500 hemi in the shop that we chased every possible misfire problem and it came down to it being a bad injector. Could be your problem rather than the cam or valve train.
Lots of times if a love is gone on the cams or broken spring or something the motor will be really noisy.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:52 AM

Similar issue with my 2007 Ram 1500. Multiple cylinder misfire after sitting for 9 months. Took all the plugs out on the side the awful sound is coming from, took the valve cover off fired it up to look for anything not moving all the valves were moving. My next step is to change all the coil packs I think. I can't figure out which cylinders are misfiring.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:28 PM

Well, the local mechanic a block inferred that it was the cam and to take it to the dealer as was not equipped to do that kind of work".Tire Shop."
The engine is now knocking. I called around a few places that would do that kind of work and they all want to swap out the engine.I found one place that could do cam replacement and everything for around $6000.
I can't afford a new engine so the truck is parked now.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the local mechanic a block inferred that it was the cam and to take it to the dealer as was not equipped to do that kind of work".Tire Shop."
The engine is now knocking. I called around a few places that would do that kind of work and they all want to swap out the engine.I found one place that could do cam replacement and everything for around $6000.
Well that sucks. Unfortunately as you already know all that worn lobe material is now everywhere in the motor so a cam swap isn’t really the fix.
Taking the engine out and all apart is the cheapest solution. Parts wouldn’t be that bad price wise. Just a bunch of time on your part.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I swapped out a hemi in an older dodge that took a drink of water and broke 2 rods. Got the engine from an auto wreckers for $2000 if I remember right. Still going strong after a lot of years. I did it in a day. May be a cheaper option?
Be nice to throw a 3/4 ton engine in, no MDS
Old 02-01-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Well that sucks. Unfortunately as you already know all that worn lobe material is now everywhere in the motor so a cam swap isn’t really the fix.
Taking the engine out and all apart is the cheapest solution. Parts wouldn’t be that bad price wise. Just a bunch of time on your part.
This is a common issue with the hemi and there have been lots of successful cam changes. The material from the lobe has been lost over many thousands of km's and through several oil changes. Parts for the job are under $1000.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:54 AM

Just finished going through all this in the summer.

Same year and everything

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=412754

Ended up going with a new OEM long block from Jasper Auto/Western. Think it was $7500 for the engine.

All in I was a little over $11,000 with install and I changed every sensor, water pump, pretty much anything that is hard to get at and easy to do with the engine on a stand.

I wanted to put a rebuild in but I waited 6 weeks for one to come in and finally gave up.

GTR in Calgary has some good deals if you keep an eye on them, seem to go pretty fast.
https://store.gtrauto.ca/collections...e-new-take-off
Old 02-02-2023, 07:01 AM

Really sorry you're going through this. I was in this situation 3, I think? Summers ago now, was climbing a mountain with my fifth wheel and my truck spun a bearing. All the costs associated with it make ya feel pretty low I know. It sucks, but at least you know what needs to happen now. I'll give you a rundown of what I did.

I monitored car-part.com for a junkyard engine with less km then my truck had with a good description on it for an ok price. I bought the engine and brought it home and slowly picked away at the high failure point items while I had it on the engine stand. I would try that route and put new cams in it will be way cheaper then going with a crate or already rebuilt engine. The cams on these hemi's are on the easier side of cam jobs you could do, so if you have no experience it's a decent engine to start on. On top of that, there is no shortage of YouTube videos and reading materials on this job on a hemi. I'm even open to answering any questions you may have if you end up trying to do it yourself.

Again I'm really sorry, I know it's real deflating but you'll get her back on the road one day here, and I'll tell ya, nothing more rewarding than the feeling of driving a truck you've put that kind of work into. Best of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk