Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default staff

I got in the habit when I was in boy scouts of carrying what we called a staff. Lord Baden Powell must have thought it was a good idea for scouts to have some protection from bad people and animals.
The staff I carry now is a hoe handle with a big butcher knife welded to a 1/2" bolt that is screwed into the hoe handle. It has a steel sheath to cover the blade and contact the ground. In winter I screw in a harrow tooth that is also good for protection and cutting a hole in ice.
Maybe I would be fast and mean enough to keep a pack of wolves from eating me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c taylor View Post
i've always argued that a rifle should be as mandatory as a first aid kit.
x10
Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I've always argued that a rifle should be as mandatory as a first aid kit.

This forum needs a "LIKE" button!! lol
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I've always argued that a rifle should be as mandatory as a first aid kit.
x2
makes me think side arms are a reasonable solution ..wish we could carry. What i used to carry all the time, and think i will again, was a 12 gauge flare pistol like this ... i still have 2 of them from the boat

http://www.cilexplosives.com/12g.html
left side 3rd down

the flares are fast and hot as hell burn a nasty hole into canis lupis .. or at least scare the chit out them and put the run on them all
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

or one of these babies
http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...1&cat=3&page=1
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
x2
makes me think side arms are a reasonable solution ..wish we could carry. What i used to carry all the time, and think i will again, was a 12 gauge flare pistol like this ... i still have 2 of them from the boat

left side 3rd down

the flares are fast and hot as hell burn a nasty hole into canis lupis .. or at least scare the chit out them and put the run on them all
I'm not as confident in them, as you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xm9dndA1-0

Grizz
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM

hey chimp i've heard lots about this hoe of yours. Lets see some pictures of this thing. eh?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I got in the habit when I was in boy scouts of carrying what we called a staff. Lord Baden Powell must have thought it was a good idea for scouts to have some protection from bad people and animals.
The staff I carry now is a hoe handle with a big butcher knife welded to a 1/2" bolt that is screwed into the hoe handle. It has a steel sheath to cover the blade and contact the ground. In winter I screw in a harrow tooth that is also good for protection and cutting a hole in ice.
Maybe I would be fast and mean enough to keep a pack of wolves from eating me.
Is this a serious post?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The only downside is that a forest fire could be started if the shot misses its target.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm not as confident in them, as you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xm9dndA1-0

Grizz
lol ... looks like that idiot shoulda died ... hopefully he doesnt procreate lol
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
x2

left side 3rd down

I once saw one that was like a six-gun in .410 built for flares, and bear bangers.

Right now, if I can't pack the shotty, I bring my .22 starting pistol. Makes a good amount of noise, and is an 8-round revolver.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

brilliant idea ....

i will be carrying my flare gun but the starter pistol sounds great ..no pun intended
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
x2

left side 3rd down

Yes and then you may die in the resulting forest fire.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

Yup....Sounds like some people shouldn't be going into the woods....

Wolves are nothing to be afraid of. I have had half a dozen close encounters (10m or less) with the canines. Some at almost arms length. Not once did i have a gun, my bear spray was out but i have never had to use it on wolves.

Instead of worrying about defending yourselves from wolves. Worry about tripping or falling...Thats what claims the most lives out in the great wilderness.....So go buy the best footwear, not a new defender style gun.

If you find yourself surrounded by a pack. Be happy, you are seeing some of natures most fine tuned machines up close......

But yes i know, they can kill you and it does happen. But not if you dont put or get yourself it that situation. Sometimes they will be curious and scare the chit out of you. Yes, you might be attacked....But not likely...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Great post Albertadeer !
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Yes and then you may die in the resulting forest fire.
or a comet may hit me .. lol .....but fair enough lol one never knows
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM

One of the operators up here was out in the choper sending gas well pigs and 2 huge wolves charged at the helicopter and walked around the edge of the lease.they never did send that pig.I was down in the area today on the quad and the bigest wolf tracks I have ever seen down there.They wont wont let us carry a gun,I hope bear spray works lol

another wolf a couple weeks ago went after a operators truck tires
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I don't doubt that. We stopped to take a few pics of a wolf pack west of Abraham Lake a few weeks back, and you'd think they'd of taken off when I got out of the truck, well they actually came my way.

TBark
I saw those same ones!! Was 5 of them. When I stopped the truck one laid down in the ditch!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
My recent issue of F&S has a one page article of a woman in her 50's who was bowhunting alone in Idaho and had a wolf come in on her. She killed it with the .44 Mag she had on her at 10 feet; it wasn't a case of feigned self-defense in order to kill the thing as she had a tag for one anyways, but was hoping for different quarry that day. The wolf was 90lbs, the article has a photo.
Here are the pics of that:

Look at the size of that thing. Even if that thing wasn't "charging" me, if it was even just accidentally running in my direction, I wouldn't think twice about dropping it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

That's the one. The lower non-bloodied photo is the published pic, interesting to see the other side as well because reading the story I was thinking "Where's all the bullet wounds?"

Thanks for posting
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Yup....Sounds like some people shouldn't be going into the woods....

Wolves are nothing to be afraid of. I have had half a dozen close encounters (10m or less) with the canines. Some at almost arms length. Not once did i have a gun, my bear spray was out but i have never had to use it on wolves.

Instead of worrying about defending yourselves from wolves. Worry about tripping or falling...Thats what claims the most lives out in the great wilderness.....So go buy the best footwear, not a new defender style gun.

If you find yourself surrounded by a pack. Be happy, you are seeing some of natures most fine tuned machines up close......

But yes i know, they can kill you and it does happen. But not if you dont put or get yourself it that situation. Sometimes they will be curious and scare the chit out of you. Yes, you might be attacked....But not likely...
Not likely, but be a bummer if they decided you were tonight's supper. Could really ruin your day

Grizz
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not likely, but be a bummer if they decided you were tonight's supper. Could really ruin your day
Oh man would it ever! In the end i guarantee one would wish it was a bear or cougar attacking them...

I was doing Regeneration surveys in cut-blocks south of Slave lake 3 years ago.

It was mid November and there was deer sign all over. I was walking along grunting and bleating (while working) i was right along the edge of the block and heard foot steps, i thought it was a deer coming so i got my bear spray out. Soon a huge black wolf bounded out right at me. It stopped at less then 5yds and stared at me for a few seconds before retreating to the timber, i then heard something behind me and whipped around to see 3 more wolves running away from me...I was supposed to be dinner. I will never forget those yellow eyes staring into my soul, creepy feeling...

This happened in a helicopter access area, chopper was on a fuel run...I was alone for another 2 hrs......

And of course i tried to call them back in after....I got them to howl for a while, but they soon moved off to kill some deer....
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Oh man would it ever! In the end i guarantee one would wish it was a bear or cougar attacking them...

I was doing Regeneration surveys in cut-blocks south of Slave lake 3 years ago.

It was mid November and there was deer sign all over. I was walking along grunting and bleating (while working) i was right along the edge of the block and heard foot steps, i thought it was a deer coming so i got my bear spray out. Soon a huge black wolf bounded out right at me. It stopped at less then 5yds and stared at me for a few seconds before retreating to the timber, i then heard something behind me and whipped around to see 3 more wolves running away from me...I was supposed to be dinner. I will never forget those yellow eyes staring into my soul, creepy feeling...

This happened in a helicopter access area, chopper was on a fuel run...I was alone for another 2 hrs......

And of course i tried to call them back in after....I got them to howl for a while, but they soon moved off to kill some deer....
I want your job ha.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
I want your job ha.
x2 hahaha

not that I'm overly concerned about it but what are the regs for carrying a 12g on fishing/camping trips through the spring and summer months?

NEVER get between Electricity and where it wants to go!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
x2

left side 3rd down

Or just burn down a half million acres of saleable lumber...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM

2 weeks ago me and my buddy were bear hunting when we heard a howl close to us we howled back just to see if we could get them to respond, as we were walking up the ridge we saw 3 of them running in our direction they came 300 yards before they stopped. They saw us but didn't scatter, I ended up taking a shot dropping one.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG10 View Post
x2 hahaha

not that I'm overly concerned about it but what are the regs for carrying a 12g on fishing/camping trips through the spring and summer months?
No problemo!
Carry it whenever you feel like it.
Not in a park, naturally!
RBH
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Default staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmer View Post
hey chimp i've heard lots about this hoe of yours. Lets see some pictures of this thing. eh?
I finally got photobucket to down load for me.

I put the presto pin thru a hole in the tooth to keep the cover on and stop the point from sinking to far in soft ground.
I use the blade in summer and the tooth in winter, its better than an axe for cutting holes for ice fishing.

Last edited by chimpac; 05-17-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 PM

I've come across wolf, bear and bobcat.

Wolf was curious but kept his distance, black bear ran away like his arse was on fire, and the bobcat didn't give a damn; just ambled past.

Can't say I'm much worried of them.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM

The only pack of wolves I have seen was when I was on summer vacation. They were chasing down a deer in the old mines in 438.

However, I had on 4 occasions meet up with lone wolves & we looked at each other & whet in different directions other than this one time after I shot a deer & gutted it.

I came back to my vehicle & there was this wolf 40 yards away on a big cut line. Well we looked at each other but the wolf had no interest in me, it was only interested in the aroma coming from the gutted deer. The wolf started into the bush towards the deer & I hopped into the jeep to go to the spot where I dragged the deer. I got the deer & the wolf got the guts.

My biggest fear while hunting was being chased by moose, yes moose, whether male or female. The bull chased me probably because he did have a mate & well he was more than likely protecting was was his.

He had me cornered (& if you knew the area you would know why I was cornered), anyhow is was 45 yards from me when we both stopped running. We just stared at each other for awhile then he moved back into the trees & I left the other way to try to seek around so that I could get back out of that area.

The next day in a different part of the place I was hunting in a female moose came from some small bush & started chasing me & I ran but she stopped & went back to that bush & I am guessing that maybe there was a calf around.

Of course those were the chasing stories, & the other moose stories were we scared each other silly stories.