Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 PM

I agree, that is nuts!

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Um...... I could be wrong.... but pretty sure that teachers admin and Board would have At least been made aware on the first go-around. This story doesn’t quite add up. It’s no small thing to call police or social services on a student. Sure as hell admin and central office would be very well aware of it AND teacher would be at least reprimanded.

Sumpin don add up....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Raised by Wolves your story is sadly what our society has come to. I believe it all the bird brain teacher believed only a unfit parent would teach his child to shoot. Probably more likely that a child should think guns are ok. The fear of guns is being drummed into people to make it easier to take them all away. Intelligent people know what happens when the government disarms the public. It is not a safer society like they tell us it will be ask old Russian immagrants they know the truth.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Thankfully no issues at my sons school in Spruce Grove. He is also 9. He draws pictures with guns and writes stories about shooting all the time.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM

After spending 32 years in schools (30 of those as a Principal) I recognize that there are going to be a (small) percentage of Alberta’s 30,000+ teachers that make questionable decisions. I even accept there are likely an equal percentage of parents that make questionable decisions. Who am I to judge when a child talks of their family that practices nudism at home? Who am I to judge when children of a Sons of Odin parents are drawing images depicting racist acts? Why should I be surprised when the RCMP call to tell me that a parent has demanded my arrest for kidnapping because their child was issued a noon detention?
What I don’t understand is why parents don’t talk directly to teachers when an issue comes up? Sometimes, there is a bit more to the story than the one the child brings home.
I guess the thing we need to recognize, is that among those that perceive persecution, very small events can balloon into a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Wonder what ever happened to freedom of speech or freedom of expression. Society is really getting stupid. What will it be like in another 50years
We don't have "FREE SPEECH" engrained in our Charter of Rights...

Only the Americans have it (1st Amendment).

We can go to jail in this country for "Not using the preferred pronoun"...

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

260, your mention of Sons of Odin brought up a recent conversation I had. My Dads politics are quite a bit to the left of my own and we were talking about my pending signage for my company vehicle. He noted that he'd seen a van in traffic with the name "Sons of Electric" which he assumed indicated that the owners were out and proud about being white supremacists as he thought it was making a connection to Son's of Odin. I explained to him that there was a TV series called Son's of Anarchy about a biker gang; while I never saw a single episode of it I knew it was the more likely correlation due to pop culture being a far bigger influence than racist subculture. In the same vein I recall a Calgary restaurant that operated for a few years named "Soprano's". Anyways, I think that so much about what people misunderstand can be fixed by speaking with someone who really knows the subject at hand, be it firearms, pop culture or what have you. I know for instance my Dad is devouring a whole lot of left-biased media and its concerning to me when I notice the judgement that accompanies that, judgement that comes from an irrational supposition.

People can jump to a lot of conclusions without confirming if they're on the right track in the first place. In the case of the OP's 'no guns' in the drawing story its the leading tip of the spear in terms of the teacher/admin/school board (wherever the 'guidance came from), in raisedbywolves's case that teacher was quite a ways into their misguided beliefs. I've met raisedbywolves and know enough about him & his background to believe his account.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
After spending 32 years in schools (30 of those as a Principal) I recognize that there are going to be a (small) percentage of Alberta’s 30,000+ teachers that make questionable decisions. I even accept there are likely an equal percentage of parents that make questionable decisions. Who am I to judge when a child talks of their family that practices nudism at home? Who am I to judge when children of a Sons of Odin parents are drawing images depicting racist acts? Why should I be surprised when the RCMP call to tell me that a parent has demanded my arrest for kidnapping because their child was issued a noon detention?
What I don’t understand is why parents don’t talk directly to teachers when an issue comes up? Sometimes, there is a bit more to the story than the one the child brings home.
I guess the thing we need to recognize, is that among those that perceive persecution, very small events can balloon into a self fulfilling prophecy.
I absolutely take exception to this. But very typical response. I’m not surprised.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Question Oustanding! Awesome slur!

Quote:
Misdirection can be as useful as a dog whistle huh? I'm surprised you left Columbine out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fry not sure.jpg (111.2 KB, 33 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I absolutely take exception to this. But very typical response. I’m not surprised.
So you took the time to ask the teacher if there was more to the story that you got at home before casting aspersions on a public forum? I know, I've heard it before "my child doesn't lie" ... and after actually investigating many of those situations...I was able to say ..."nor does my staff".
Old 06-17-2019, 12:52 PM

I will be very interested to hear what the teacher and principal have to say when you go in to talk to them. I believe there are always two sides to every story but I am having a real hard time constructing or imagining the other side of the story that I would think made sense or was remotely reasonable.

Got to let us know what they have to say because I presume you have no intentions of just letting this lie.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Um...... I could be wrong.... but pretty sure that teachers admin and Board would have At least been made aware on the first go-around. This story doesn’t quite add up. It’s no small thing to call police or social services on a student. Sure as hell admin and central office would be very well aware of it AND teacher would be at least reprimanded.
Sumpin don add up....
No doubt your spidey senses are on the right track.

By-the-way ...can't wait for the anti censor outrage / freedom of expression we are going to see the first time a lunch box is sent home because it is decorated by by the child with a pot leaf

Last edited by 260 Rem; 06-17-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
So you took the time to ask the teacher if there was more to the story that you got at home before casting aspersions on a public forum? I know, I've heard it before "my child doesn't lie" ... and after actually investigating many of those situations...I was able to say ..."nor does my staff".
I noticed that you chose the word "many" instead of "all". Yes many parents will defend their children, and even lie for them, when their children do something wrong, but even you must realize that sometimes, the teacher is the one in the wrong. I certainly hope that Chuck does follow up on this, to determine the facts, I know that I would, it I was in his situation.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Lunatic Teachers

Interesting thread for sure.

Chuck, do not take this one sitting down. Contact Bessie, as I believe he works for the same school district and will be able to direct you accordingly.

I will say that teachers do have to be aware of what students are drawing, as they express anger and twisted plans in that manner, but that sure as heck ain't your boy. And, if she was worth a pinch of salt would have an idea about your son's family past-times.

I'm embarrassed to say I have stupid colleagues like that. Dang, I hate what this world is becoming. I was talking with my principal at lunch and we both agreed the world is getting more stupid by the day, and not to be melodramatic, but if you graduated in the 80s were probably part of the pinnacle of human history. So many aspects of the world have gone into the outhouse.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

if you graduated in the 80s were probably part of the pinnacle of human history. So many aspects of the world have gone into the outhouse.
Yes and they rented the basement suite because the main floor was too expensive.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I noticed that you chose the word "many" instead of "all". Yes many parents will defend their children, and even lie for them, when their children do something wrong, but even you must realize that sometimes, the teacher is the one in the wrong. I certainly hope that Chuck does follow up on this, to determine the facts, I know that I would, it I was in his situation.
I chose to use “many” over “all” because there were occasions where I considered the teacher to be “in the wrong” ... and dealt with the situation accordingly.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
He had no reason to lie. Why would he? Here is the conversation at the breakfast table. 12 year old daughter: Ryan, where is dads gun? Ryan: Miss ******* said I couldn’t draw it in my picture. I asked, and she said no guns and no animals unless they are alive.

So, she knew good and well that I hunted. It’s a small town. I’m not a mind reader, but I’m not stupid either, and can read between lines pretty well.

Five years ago I would have told you you were absolutely insane to homeschool your child. Now I would not. And just so you know, my wife’s mother was a school teacher, her father vice superintendent of schools for years and my oldest son just scored 98% on his grade 9 math PAT. We take education pretty seriously.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
May be a good time to arrange an interview with the teacher. Seems they get away with that kind of Crap all too often these days.
I would .
Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Chuck, do not take this one sitting down. Contact Bessie, as I believe he works for the same school district and will be able to direct you accordingly.

I will say that teachers do have to be aware of what students are drawing, as they express anger and twisted plans in that manner, but that sure as heck ain't your boy. And, if she was worth a pinch of salt would have an idea about your son's family past-times.

I'm embarrassed to say I have stupid colleagues like that. Dang, I hate what this world is becoming. I was talking with my principal at lunch and we both agreed the world is getting more stupid by the day, and not to be melodramatic, but if you graduated in the 80s were probably part of the pinnacle of human history. So many aspects of the world have gone into the outhouse.
I have contacted him. And he has absolute permission to enquire on what kind of student he is and to post those findings here.

I get that there has to be caution. I would not approve of him drawing something inappropriate or violent.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Sure wonder who that teacher will vote for next federal election.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
He had no reason to lie. Why would he? Here is the conversation at the breakfast table. 12 year old daughter: Ryan, where is dads gun? Ryan: Miss ******* said I couldn’t draw it in my picture. I asked, and she said no guns and no animals unless they are alive.

So, she knew good and well that I hunted. It’s a small town. I’m not a mind reader, but I’m not stupid either, and can read between lines pretty well.

Five years ago I would have told you you were absolutely insane to homeschool your child. Now I would not. And just so you know, my wife’s mother was a school teacher, her father vice superintendent of schools for years and my oldest son just scored 98% on his grade 9 math PAT. We take education pretty seriously.
No amount of “reading between the lines,” wife’s relationship to educators, or a siblings mark on a PAT is going to substitute for simply arranging a meet with the teacher to ask the questions you want and express your opinion if you feel such is necessary once you have both sides to the story.
Part of what is missing here is your motivation in opening the thread before talking to the teacher or principal. Somewhere it is written “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I have contacted him. And he has absolute permission to enquire on what kind of student he is and to post those findings here.

I get that there has to be caution. I would not approve of him drawing something inappropriate or violent.
Maybe you misunderstood. Caution would have been calling you or your wife to ask a few questions if she was genuinely concerned. Telling your kid what he can draw is way over the top.

If she is an activist good for her, but every single teacher in this country should be celebrating families where fathers spend quality time with their sons, not sending signals that a legal activity is somehow wrong because she doesn't agree.

Sit down across a table, preferably with the principal present, have an open mind, ask questions and listen to the answers, then let us know how it goes. Hopefully it is a misunderstanding.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
No amount of “reading between the lines,” wife’s relationship to educators, or a siblings mark on a PAT is going to substitute for simply arranging a meet with the teacher to ask the questions you want and express your opinion if you feel such is necessary once you have both sides to the story.
Part of what is missing here is your motivation in opening the thread before talking to the teacher or principal. Somewhere it is written “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”.
Can you tell me who this teacher is? Where Ryan goes to school?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me who this teacher is? Where Ryan goes to school?
Not information I have, nor relevant to me. You’re the Dad, clearly you all ready have that information. As SN2 suggested, make the appointment, get the information and deal with it. You have made clear that you value education and it is up to you to provide the “support” it needs to keep it moving in the right direction.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Not information I have, nor relevant to me. You’re the Dad, clearly you all ready have that information. As SN2 suggested, make the appointment, get the information and deal with it. You have made clear that you value education and it is up to you to provide the “support” it needs to keep it moving in the right direction.
So whom have I called out?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM

I gotta tell ya though Chuck.

I do get lil jealous at your kids shooting, hunting and now .........art skills.

Lacking rifle aside.... dats good drawing skills man.

My kid made this in gr 6 art a while back. It’s supposed to be me getting ready to hunt.

Sometimes I wear a blaze orange vest........

Sigh.........

Your kids better n mine in three things now

(Note..... it IS a bobble head)

Sorry..... just thought I’d lighten it up a bit. (Not trying to make light of the issue though ok?)
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 06-17-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 PM

Laughing!

-Billy Molls
Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 PM

A child drawing a picture of a legal item is nothing like a child drawing pictures of the “sons of Odin” committing racist (illegal) act.

The teacher needs to be straightened out.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 PM

Right now, there is probably a junior high student stenciling a pot leaf happy face on their jacket.... Going to be an exciting discussion here on AO about whether that legal imagery is appropriate at school
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Right now, there is probably a junior high student stenciling a pot leaf happy face on their jacket.... Going to be an exciting discussion here on AO about whether that legal imagery is appropriate at school
Why do you continue to mock freedoms people have died for? I do not understand it. This is a gun forum. This forum has nothing whatsoever to do with pot. In 25 years this country has gone from a place where I could have a gun in my truck at school so I could hunt my way home to a place where I’m careful how I pack my rifle from my home to my truck. Even when it’s legal to do so.

This mentality is doing nobody any favours, nor is it saving lives blood was spilled to protect. This is not a joke. Please refrain from making it such.

-Billy Molls