Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The little boy is still fresh in my mind...
I blew up a street light walking out of the flames game the other night... Kids call it my super power. LOLOLOLOL
Hi Jamie, street lights for me too.

I can be driving anywhere in the city and just as I approach, off one goes. I heard but can't confirm the cities new LED lights work that way to say power costs. Weird to see it happen almost every time your out though.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Hi Jamie, street lights for me too.

I can be driving anywhere in the city and just as I approach, off one goes. I heard but can't confirm the cities new LED lights work that way to say power costs. Weird to see it happen almost every time your out though.
Sounds like you need to adjust your headlights...
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
One I remember was a couple of years ago, about 2 or 3 am north central Calgary, a jet (727ish size?) flew quite low (maybe 1000ish m) E - W almost overhead with absolutely no lights on... still shake my head over that one.
That could have been a NAV Canada CRJ doing their low level fly-by's. They do this several times a year to check and calibrate navigation equipment, approach and missed landing information, and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM

best thread on here!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer675 View Post
best thread on here!
Yup. You read the whole thing?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM

Haven't read this thread. Maybe tomorrow I will. Think it's my first time seeing it. I was living in Calgary. There was a super bright light in the sky when I looked out of my apartment window. Crazy bright, stationary. My initial thought was, it's a police chopper pointed straight at me. But then it did a weird move, and was out of sight in about one second. Insane acceleration. Call me crazy. I don't care. I saw what I saw. No doubt in my mind.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Just started reading this in reverse order -- back to page 9 for now. Very interesting. A couple that I can add:

First:
My wife and I were fall camping and I left the trailer very early in the morning. On the drive to my hunting spot a guy crossed the centre line (most likely asleep) and I went down into the ditch to avoid him. I was mentally shaken for a bit and it took me a little time to get the nerves down and get back on the road. I had checked the time as I was now running late. Get back to camp later that day and my wife asked if everything was ok. I said yes why and she replied that she had woken up in a panic that something had gone wrong for me, then everything calmed down so she went back to bed. Time was the same as when I drove into the ditch.

Second:
I had a dog I was very close to and had to put down. I was really questioning myself on the decision after the fact and one night I dreamed he crawled up on me, laid his head down and basically comforted me. My mental torment on the decision passed after this.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:42 PM

Same **** for me at many places... the hair raising one was i would walk by the michener centre graveyard on my way home after the shift ended at 11pm and there was one solo light there that i could watch from a distance and always when i got within 50' ... poof it was out (and then i was really in the dark - lol) and then light up after i passed ... i always gave a blessing to those souls whenever i passed by, maybe that was acknowledgement that they received them - idk

Another time i was cycling thru NZ and in one area i had the feeling of don't stop or stay... but i did stop a few times to try and address a really heavy and negative foreboding... anyways once i cleared the area it stopped ... relaying my story to locals they relayed the story of a dark spirit in the area and the things that have happened to others
Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Just started reading this in reverse order -- back to page 9 for now. Very interesting. A couple that I can add:

First:
My wife and I were fall camping and I left the trailer very early in the morning. On the drive to my hunting spot a guy crossed the centre line (most likely asleep) and I went down into the ditch to avoid him. I was mentally shaken for a bit and it took me a little time to get the nerves down and get back on the road. I had checked the time as I was now running late. Get back to camp later that day and my wife asked if everything was ok. I said yes why and she replied that she had woken up in a panic that something had gone wrong for me, then everything calmed down so she went back to bed. Time was the same as when I drove into the ditch.

Second:
I had a dog I was very close to and had to put down. I was really questioning myself on the decision after the fact and one night I dreamed he crawled up on me, laid his head down and basically comforted me. My mental torment on the decision passed after this.
Tollers read replies #5 and #8 if you have a minute. I firmly believe in connections.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-27-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Tollers read replies #5 and #8 if you have a minute. I firmly believe in connections.
Made it through the full thread last night --- certainly many stories of connections.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Really not something that a person cannot explain -- more of the mood for an area when no crowds are around.

I have been through a number of major battlefields, assembly areas and detention camps-- Little Big Horn, Rosebud, several Civil War, the parade square, Dachau and have always found the best time to tour and get a "feel" of the area is off tourist season and preferably on an overcast day. The mood the right environment can set for these places is very somber.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Year 2002.

My last year of guiding in northern B.C. I had an experience that I still think about to this day. We were trailing horses in from the Alaska highway dropping off horses and unwinterizing camps as we went, last destination was near Ipec lake. Midway through the trail in we stopped at the Beaver creek camp for the night.
At Beaver creak we met up with one of the guides, his wife and a wrangler that had trailed in from the main base camp on the Muskwa. Art and his wife were Cree from Moberly Lake great people worked with them for a few years.
Peter the wrangler was new and was a medicine man from Moberly also.
We had planned just a sleepover and continue the trail the next day. After supper we hobbled the horses, BS’ed a bit and went to bed.
The next morning we went out to bring our horses in and found they had taken off, headed back to there old stomping grounds on the Muskwa meadows. It took two days to get those ponies back. We let them feed that evening and then locked them up for the night so they wouldn’t take off again.
The next morning Peter came up to us as we were saddling and packing the horses and said just so you guys know thier is a reason your horses ran off.
We asked him what he meant and he said he didn’t exactly know but he had a dream. He dreamed that he was filling up his motor cycle, he overflowed it and it burst into flames. He was bothered by this and said it was a warning.
We finished packing said our goodbyes and headed for the Muskwa valley.
When we got to the river the river was swollen three times it’s normal size and flowing fast. On the other side of the river there was bush still smouldering from a small forest fire. We were not aware of the storm that went through as we were in a completely different valley. Coincidence maybe but I don’t know it made me think hard.
So we had a discussion and watched a couple trees float down the river and judged how far up river we had to go to hit our landing because if we missed it would not be good. We tied up the lead shanks high around most of the packhorses necks and each lead one packhorse. We stripped down in case we had to swim for it and all basically said our goodbyes. I volunteered to go last and push the last of the packhorses in,watching how fast they were floating down river was a bit unnerving especially when my horse tried to buck me off as I was pushing the last of the packhorses in. All I could do was stare at the landing give the horse his head and hoped I hit the landing.
We all made it except for two loose packhorses, one decided to swim down river and a young one followed. Two of the boys headed down river and picked them up while the rest of us broke out some new dry clothes.
When we finally got settled at the next camp we sat around recounting the events of the day and how glad we were to make it across the river without losing anyone.
But for a good part of the evening we talked about Peters dream and why he said the horses ran away that first night at Beaver creek camp. I think we were all in agreement that there was something to his dream.
I say strong medicine.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:06 PM

As far as things I have experienced and could not explain... my son once asked me about women.

Still can't explain how I walked away from a head on collision with my life and no broken bones. A drunk driver hit me pretty well head on in his 73 ford torino with a hopped up motor. I was in an 67 pontiac invader. I had just checked my speed a mile before and I was doing 60 mph. He must have been flying because I didn't even see him coming. The idiot hit me just outside the frame and sheared off the whole side of my car...wheels and all. If he had been 4 inches over he would have caught my frame. My steering wheel was almost against the seat on the driver side and the roof was collapsed from having the side sheared off. The whole missing side of my car, wheels and all, was welded to the front end of the drunk's now demolished muscle car. Luckily he was beat up pretty bad with broken limbs and sternum. I walked away with about 10 stitches from 2 little cuts. Funniest part was when I went a couple days alter to the accident site to look I found a garbage bag in the ditch right at the site... and it had a 1/4 pound of weed in it. So the drunk from rocky mountain house on top of his injuries also lost his weed. If the seat belt laws were in place back then And I was wearing one I would have been halved.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 PM

Justin Trudeau pretty well sums up "things you could not explain"
Old 07-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Default This seemed relevant for the thread

Dog, Dad, Uncle, Grandma, you get the picture.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 PM

1956, give or take a year, very rural northern Alberta.

I was just a kid, but remember very clearly - my dad was working on his ‘52 GMC pickup in front of our house, with the hood up. I was hanging around, ‘helping’ I suppose, when I noticed a thin grey streak appearing in the sky about 20 degrees above the horizon. It started from nothing, getting denser and denser as it progressed rapidly southward in level flight.

I pointed it out to my dad, and we watched as this streak went fairly rapidly from grey to brown to very dark brown. It then appeared to go vertical (most likely climbing steeply directly toward or away from our position) when it exploded in a very dense, ragged black ball of smoke. The time from first appearance to explosion was only about 30 seconds, and spanned perhaps 20 - 25 degrees horizontally.

Several seconds later we felt the shock wave, which arrived with a dull “Thud” and was strong enough to shake the open hood of the pickup and rattle the windows in the house. My greatest regret is not knowing exactly how many seconds the shock wave arrived after seeing the explosion - after all these years, my best estimate would be 5 to 8 seconds. I’m very clear on the azimuth, and could mark accurately it to this day.

At no time did we see an actual aircraft or object of any kind, nor do I recall any flames, flashes of light or falling debris. I’ve always assumed it was too far away.

My dad had a friend & neighbour who was retired Airforce, and a member of the (then) Ground Observer Corps, who in those days wrote down time, direction, and type of aircraft they saw overhead. There were poor radio comms in those days, and they were an aid in searching for missing aircraft. He reported the sighting and circumstances, and was later informed that no military or civilian aircraft were reported missing.

That one has had me puzzled for a long time.

Last edited by Oldan Grumpi; 07-01-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM

Trudue being elected of a nation when he couldn't organize a night shift janitorial crew ?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM

One of the best threads and also one of my most hated.

Great reading but walking back to the truck in the dark, some of these stories replay in my head...
Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM

Back in November/December 2008 when the Henday still had traffic lights at a few intersections the Mrs. had #3 in the oven and wanted to go to Ikea to buy a few things for the nursery.

It was an early winter and by the end of November, the roads were in lousy shape. We had come to a stop at the intersection where Lessard overpass is now.

I was in the left hand lane and no one was behind me. For some strange reason, I had a feeling to get out of the lane and pull off to the side as something didn't feel right.

As I pulled over my wife asks what I'm doing and literally not even 3 seconds later, two SUV's come screaming through the lane where I previously was and the scene turns into a 5 car pile up.

Had I still been in the lane, my truck would have crushed along with my pregnant wife and two young children. We stayed pulled over for a bit as both my wife had to collect ourselves and couldn't believe what just happened.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 PM

Stefk I have heard that voice. 'Slow down'. And a deer crosses or something similar. Eery stuff.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Banned

I can’t beleive I haven’t read this thread yet. I read the first page and a half, figure I’ll add a couple things before I keep reading.

I was 17 years old, my best friend had died in a car accident about 2 months earlier, I was sober at the time but fell asleep watching TV on the couch. It was the middle of the night when I woke up on the couch so I got up and went to bed. I just closed my eyes and was laying on my back then had a feeling someone was watching me, I opened my eyes and there was a light, about the size and shape of a pillow in my doorway. It wasn’t giving off light but it was a light, hard to explain, but it moved from my doorway to the foot of my bed, by this time I was freaked right out, so scared I couldn’t talk, I know because I tried to scream. Then the thing sort of raises up to about a foot below the ceiling then slams into my chest, it was like my chest filled with air. I was still paralyzed with fear, then as my terror started to subside enough I wasn’t going to scream, I could start to move again. I literally jumped out of bed, ran up the stairs and into my parents room. I was standing at the side of their bed getting ready to wake them up but couldn’t bring myself to tell them I saw a ghost and wanted to crawl into bed with them. I quietly went to the sofa in the upstairs living room and slept there for the night.

Another time, living in a house just south of 118 ave and just off 127st, my cousin and I were sitting in the dining room in the middle of a nice summer day. My cousin was facing the patio door and I was facing parallel to it. Out of the corner of my eye I notice a silver ball, a little bigger than a softball fly right in front of the patio door, hover ther for about 1-2 seconds, then zip off in a flash, the same direction it came from. I look over at my cousin, he’s looking out the patio door with a look of disbelief on his face, then he shakes his head and continued to read the paper or whatever it was he was doing. He didn’t realize I just seen the same thing he did. So I ask him “Did you just see that?”, he looks at me “A silver ball?” he asks, I said “Ya, that just happened!” We went outside but there was nothing there.

Amber lights in the sky over east Edmonton summer 1997.

I was walking my dog at about 11pm, beautiful evening, clear skies and the stars were out, so as I was walking I was star gazing. All of a sudden on the southern horizon I see three lights in a V formation coming my way and fast, I mean faster than anything I’ve ever witnessed and they were low, like I’d say a mile high tops. These things went from the southern horizon and disappeared in the northern horizon in about 3 seconds flat, and they were silent! The hair on my head stood up, it tripped me out. On my way home there was a couple walking on the opposite side of the street so I crossed over to talk to them. At first I’m pretty sure they figured I was there to rob them, but then after I asked them if they had seen the lights in the sky they probably figured I was nuts. Then a few days later I was in my back yard telling a friend about what I had seen when low and behold they come flying over again! Only this time they are going north to south, and the first time I thought it was one ship with three lights but this time after they flew over my head the one on the right broke formation momentarily going above the ship in the middle then dropped back into formation, all within just a couple seconds. This time I wasn’t alone when I saw the lights, but to this day I’ve never heard of anything capable of going those speeds and doing it silently without the sonic boom from breaking the sound barrier.

Not saying for sure it was an alien craft, but it was certainly faster than anything imaginable.

One last thing, Ouija boards are not toys. All I’m going to say about those things is that they aren’t something to play with.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM

I didn't want to say anything before because some of you might have thunk it was "just imagination" or we were "stoned". We weren't.

Me and 2 buddies were out fishing about 20 miles south of Bowron Provincial Lakes in B.C. right out "in the middle of nowhere" in a deep pine forest at a small lake that only "locals" seemed to know about.
(I don't know about now - this was in the 70s).

We were on a sort of a shingle beach by the little lake no more than 20 or so feet from the trees, when suddenly we heard a loud "woooshing" sound from the east that went right overhead in less than a second, and caused the tops of the trees to sway continuously for a while as though in a strong wind. The sound disappeared to the west in the next second or so and then all was quiet.

At first we just assumed it was a Canadian Forces fighter jet on some kind of patrol - for about a minute - until we realized there was no "sonic boom" or any kind of engine sounds.
We also finally realized that all was very quiet afterwards - no animal sounds, not even crows or magpies for quite a while.

Didn't know what to think then, and still don't know now.

Last edited by stuckincity; 07-02-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Not saying for sure it was an alien craft, but it was certainly faster than anything imaginable.
There are jets that can fly at speeds up to mach 6.7 or 7200 kph. It would take an X15 a couple seconds to cross the horizon.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
There are jets that can fly at speeds up to mach 6.7 or 7200 kph. It would take an X15 a couple seconds to cross the horizon.
there would be a sonic boom though for sure

Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 PM

When I first moved to the city a few years ago I was living on the top floor (17th flr.) of a high rise overlooking the river valley. One night I was awake at 3 am and went out on my balcony. It was extremely dark as in was overcast with heavy clouds that seemed only 100 feet above me. While looking to the south I noticed something gliding through the air towards me 50 feet above the building. I could barely see it against the clouds. It had no lights of any kind or propellers. It was totally silent as it went directly over my head at maybe 50 miles an hour. What ever it was flew north. It had a wingspan of maybe 16 feet and a length of 12 feet. The weird thing was there wasn't any kind of sound at all, not even the air against the wings, and the fact that it was 3 am on a very overcast night near downtown Edmonton. This was the view from my balcony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my balcony 2012.jpg (62.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 PM

r/c glider?

Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
These weren’t jets. There was not “jet”, it was absolutely silent with no sonic boom. 7200kph I don’t think would touch it. I did a quick calculation, suppose you can see 122 miles horizon to horizon at an elevation of 5000ft above the earth (just over a mile up). To appear at one side and disappear on the other in 3 seconds would be about 39,000kph, nearly 6x faster than an X15. It would take an X15 about 18 seconds to cross the same distance. I’m not sure if it was exactly 3 seconds but it was faster than 5, and no way did it take 18.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
there would be a sonic boom though for sure
Wouldn't the jet be far past the boom? A jet flying at mach 5 would cause 5 booms while accelerating but not create a constant boom once maxed out. Is this right?

I remember someone flew over Wizard lake 35 or so years ago and broke the sound barrier. It broke some windows and that was about it.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
These weren’t jets. There was not “jet”, it was absolutely silent with no sonic boom. 7200kph I don’t think would touch it. I did a quick calculation, suppose you can see 122 miles horizon to horizon at an elevation of 5000ft above the earth (just over a mile up). To appear at one side and disappear on the other in 3 seconds would be about 39,000kph, nearly 6x faster than an X15. It would take an X15 about 18 seconds to cross the same distance. I’m not sure if it was exactly 3 seconds but it was faster than 5, and no way did it take 18.
Interesting. Traveling that fast (3 to 5 seconds) is a lot of G force for a human to endure. At 39,000 kph it would circumnavigate the globe in about one hour.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting. Traveling that fast (3 to 5 seconds) is a lot of G force for a human to endure. At 39,000 kph it would circumnavigate the globe in about one hour.
I could see it doing that no problem. If I thought it was a jet of some sort I wouldn’t have approached the couple walking like a weirdo asking if they saw the lights in the sky. I think of them and describe them as lights and not jet, or even craft because of their characteristics. It was dark both times I saw them and all I could see was amber colored lights, it was just 3 lights moving silently through the air, but super fast.

I’ve been looking for them ever since. With the universe being infinite, even if the odds of other life was 1:1,000,000,000 that would mean there is an infinite amount of other planets that support life. The only reason we don’t get wiped out by aliens who fly here is because they are smarter than that. They probably look at us as a lost cause, not worth stopping in for a visit.