Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Default River conditions

Hey guys, I have a trip planned for this weekend and was hoping to go to nordegg area, probably the blackstone. With all this rain am I wasting my time? Any water around there worth fishing still with all the run off? Maybe I’m better off going south to try something like the castle? Anyhow any insight you guys can provide regarding fishable water for this weekend would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Default Probably.

https://rivers.alberta.ca/

Brown creek dumps into the Blackstone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brown creek.jpg (31.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 PM

The area the last poster mentioned is really nice. I’m sure you know to bring bear protection. Had reports of a grizz close by last time I stayed at brown creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 01:07 PM

The flow in that area is really high right now. Brown creek is a good indicator for the Blackstone like the previous poster pointed out and it’s usually fishable between 2-5m3/s last I checked it was 32 or something absurd like that. Not sure where you’re driving out of but we’ve had nothing but heavy rain the past week or so. I’d recommend trying somewhere else. The area you’re describing is my go to river and I don’t think it’ll be fishable for a couple weeks. More rain coming this week. I was looking around at what some other rivers are flowing and I think down south is our best bet for now. They’re high too but coming down now.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:18 PM

Thanks guys. Went to the Red deer river instead, caught one bull trout. River was pretty high!