Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm 33 years old and live in Calgary. I started hunting in 2015, first for grouse and rabbits, and from the 2017 season, for whitetails. I've developed a fair amount of confidence with grouse and had a fair bit of success over the past couple years especially (using the 22), but I have yet to connect on a deer. I have all the equipment I need, and I've done a large amount of reading on the subject. Hopefully it's just a matter of time and continuing to put in the work, and things will come together.

I have a couple of friends who hunt, but they tend to be very busy and are often unavailable. I'm looking for someone with around my level of experience and knowledge (or even better, someone MORE experienced) who has some time to go out and look for whitetails on crown land, including pre-season scouting. I also wouldn't say no to a grouse hunting partner when the time comes. For the moment all of my hunting is done with a rifle.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exskibum View Post
hello i am a 28yr old first time hunter and am looking for someone willing tutor me in the finer points of hunting. i am easy going dont smoke or drink but am not someone inclined to deny your your own right to partake of them if thats your choice. I learn fast and am willing to do the lions share of the work that needs done. i have my own hunting and camping tools and supplies and a pickup to use as well if you dont..
thank you in advance to all who red this and to any who answer my plea for help
check your inbox!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM

Hi,

I am still searching for the right hunting partner. I am retired and live in Calgary.

Looking at a 10- 12 day Elk hunt in September. My old area is shut down this season (328) so will be doing some serious scouting through the summer.

I have 2 wall tents, quad,4x4 and various other equipment needed for an extended hunt.

I am a serious, safe, sober hunter and am looking for the same.

A couple of beers around the fire is fine with me after the rifles are put away.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Looking for a hunting partner Male or Female .

Hi , serious 37 years old guy . Looking for a partner this season, im living in Calgary area, able to travel and be out for few days. Small and big game. If is any interested, let's have a good hunt. No in to alchohol .
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Hello, my name is Joshua. I live in Calgary in the NW near Panorama.

I am 30 years old and new to hunting and am looking for a mentor to teach me the ways. I just recieved my PAL and have purchased a ruger 10/22 for target practice and small game hunting. I am working on my hunter education course and plan on hunting some rabbits while waiting for other seasons to open. I am looking to buy a browning BPS in the near future so I can do game birds and big game.

As I dont have a large freezer for big game, you would be more than welcome to the majority of the meat. 10-20lbs would be more than enough for me and would last me a long time. This is another reason why I would like a hunting partner/mentor. I am more interested in the thrill of the hunt, cooking/eating them, learning an essential skill that I can pass down to my future children, rather than just shooting stuff.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your time.

Josh
Old 06-23-2019, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=buckman;3982706]Hi,

I am still searching for the right hunting partner. I am retired and live in Calgary.

Looking at a 10- 12 day Elk hunt in September. My old area is shut down this season (328) so will be doing some serious scouting through the summer.

I have 2 wall tents, quad,4x4 and various other equipment needed for an extended hunt.

I am a serious, safe, sober hunter and am looking for the same.

A couple of beers around the fire is fine with me after the rifles
Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 AM

38 Year Old male located west of Calgary (Andy). Married with a family of 4.... 2 teens and 2 children under the age of 3.

This will be my 1st year hunting, have all my licences (Game Bird, Hunters Ed, Wildlife certification and both PALs).

I will be hunting with general tags this season while I build priority points for future seasons.

I did enter 1 draw for 316 for Antlered Mule but with no priority I'm not holding my breath... So I would be interested in White Tail, Elk, Bear, Wolf and upland birds. Looking at WMUs 412, 414, 416 and 316.

Reason for the interest in those WMUs is I'm located close to these, can put an honest effort into scouting(Which I have already logged some decent pre season scouting at and have a few places of interest come season), I cam spend more time in the field come hunting season and lastly for vehicle access. Being a 1st timer, lacking the 1st hand knowlage of breaking the animal down and packing out it would he comforting knowing I'm can get fairly close with my jeeps to make extracting the game easier.

I'm hoping I can find a mentor that is willing to help me with the finer points of hunting. Such as Field Dressing & Processing and how to properly pack game out of the Bush.

While the 1st hand experience isn't going to stop me from trying my best this coming season, I'm sure my 1st time would be much smoother with the help of an experienced hunter that is willing to teach me the ropes.

Would be interested in Family friendly people/familys (As the wife is interested in getting into hunting and has said she would fancy bow).

I've got my own gear, and will acquire the finishing touches of my gear off by open season. Have Jeeps with lifts and mud tires as well for running into the bush. Just finishing up some work on my TJ which will be my future hunting rig for the above WMUs...

I'm safety concious, Have good ethics.

Looking forward to this coming hunting season and hopefully to finding the right mentor to lead me in the right direction.

We love the outdoors , camping, Hiking, Fishing be it a rod or wirh Spearguns/Poles.

Would also consider traveling 2 1/2 hours south or north of Calgary area.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Default WMU 212 Anterless Elk - January 2020

Hello I was drawn for the wmu 212 anterless elk in January and looking to team up to increase success. Let me know if your interested.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Hunting partner

Delete
Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 PM

Default Kababayan want's to hunt big game 2019

Hello Kababayans!

I'm from Edmonton area and planning to go for a hunting expedition this 2019 big game hunting season. I have a bow and and 308 rifle for deer and elk.

Anybody want's to join with me are welcome. Please PM me we can arrange a schedule to meet up before the big day. We probably to do it in weekend, we'll see.

See you,
mrAngel
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM

Default Kababayan want's to hunt big game 2019

Hello Kababayans!

I'm from Edmonton area and planning to go for a hunting expedition this 2019 big game hunting season. I have a bow and and 308 rifle for deer and elk.

Anybody want's to join with me are welcome. Please PM me we can arrange a schedule to meet up before the big day. We probably to do it in weekend, we'll see.

See you,
mrAngel
Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM

Hey everyone! My names Cody, moved back to Alberta about a year ago! Big into bowhunting and rifle as well! Looking to possibly find someone to join me on an elk hunt in Blackfoot this fall!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Hi all,

I currently live in Ontario but will be relocating to Calgary by the end of the month. I've spent some time hunting birds and deer here in Ontario and spent a few seasons trapping, but am still fairly inexperienced.

I'm looking for anyone willing to have me come along for some hunts, particularly someone a bit more experienced that can show me a thing or two about hunting in Alberta.

I'm happy to carry the heavy loads and bring along the coffee. I'm also handy with a camera and am happy to provide some nice shots from any hunts i'm on.

Cheers!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:50 PM

Default Mentoring a new hunter

G'day everyone,

I moved to Edmonton 3 years ago but am only just getting into hunting as I finally feel like I am planting my feet here, as well as my grandfather is handing down his rifles to me since he can no longer use them. I am new to hunting and have little experience but do have years of experience with weapon safety as a weapon tech with the military so there would be no worries to have to teach from scratch.

I was hoping someone in this community would be willing to take me under their wing and mentor a new hunter that wants to become an active member himself.

Please PM me if you would like to get to know alittle more about me and see if I would be a good fit to your party.

Thank you,
Ecrabb
Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Default Looking to meet some new hunters Calgary area

Well, both of my hunting partners decided to love back to the west coast this year so I am on a pre season hunt for some new partners. I have a pretty intensive bow season planned mostly for elk, and always like a good day of waterfowl to switch things up.

I am not the most experienced, but have some good knowledge, have had some good success and am always respectful of any spots/locations.

Located in the nw, willing to travel.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Default ISO Hunting partner in Edmonton area

Based out of south east Edmonton, I'm a 29 year old male. Looking for a new hunting partner or two. I've been hunting for 6 years. Mostly deer, waterfowl and upland. I've attempted elk but have never been successful. I mostly hunt east of Edmonton for birds, and west and north for big game. Although I don't have a ton of experience I'm happy to mentor someone new to hunting as much as I'm capable. If you're interested in connecting to discuss more, PM me.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
Any experienced sheep hunters looking for a partner? my one buddy isn't able to make it due to work. I guided in the Yukon last year but hunting for myself this year. I have all my own gear, and zones I want to hunt, going regardless, but would rather team up as its a bit of a gnarly spot to go in solo. Also doing some archery elk mid sept if that interests anyone. Im 31 and pretty much everything is on foot, sometimes bike into areas. Ill be off work aug 20ish-end of sept, doing 5-10+ day trips.
P.M.sent check your mail
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Default Who's looking for a Hunting Partner ???

Hello, Im 27 yo entering my second season hunting. I was skunked my first year due to not having much time to get out and no idea what I was doing. I'd love if someone was willing to take out a new hunter and show him a thing or two to help shorten the learning curve.

I'm In good shape, willing to walk far, help pack, keep quiet and do whatever it takes to learn and hopefully find some success. Feel free to pm me with any questions or advice you might give to someone at my stage.

Thanks

Edit: Located in Calgary

Last edited by newhunteryyc; 08-25-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Default New again to geese and ducks

Looking to get into migratory birds again this season. Weekend warrior mostly but can commit in advance to some weekday hunting.

No stranger to big game and upland birds. Hunted over dogs many times with zero issues.

Hoping to meet some experienced people who can help me out. I hunt whitetail and elk in the Crowsnest pass and could swap info/hunts.

Located in Calgary but can travel.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Looking for potential waterfowl partner or partners in Strathcona, Lamont, Tofield, Smoky Lake area. Have a trailer with all the gear, extra blinds, decoys. Currently two of us spotting and shooting. Would like to to be involved in more shoots. The more eyes out there the better in a short season with one of us working most of the time. Myself enjoy the social aspect of it more so then the shooting. Two 30yr old well rounded hunters.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Default First time hunter in Edmonton

Hey everyone, this year is my first time hunting, got a black bear tag and general white tail. I’m using a cross now this year maybe riffle next year.

Looking for anyone who goes out for day trips/weekend trips, I’m planning/hoping to go out to the Hinton area for the 17th for a week or so.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
Any experienced sheep hunters looking for a partner? my one buddy isn't able to make it due to work. I guided in the Yukon last year but hunting for myself this year. I have all my own gear, and zones I want to hunt, going regardless, but would rather team up as its a bit of a gnarly spot to go in solo. Also doing some archery elk mid sept if that interests anyone. Im 31 and pretty much everything is on foot, sometimes bike into areas. Ill be off work aug 20ish-end of sept, doing 5-10+ day trips.
hey saw your post, I ready to go, now calling everybody so far nobody can go, the wife told me no go by myself, so now looking for a hunting buddy, I know where I want to go, if you are willing to go to another place give me a call,
Old 09-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Looking for someone to hunt pheasant with

Preferably a newer hunter I have a great dog but I need to run her on a check cord for a bit to nip her busting in the bud . Due to safety I would rather someone else do the shooting while I run the cord . Great opportunity for some one looking to get into pheasant hunting . PM me you can even borrow one of my shotguns if needed . I have a few weeks off and am going almost every day. I live in calgary .
Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Waterfowl hunting partner Gibbons/Edmonton.

I'm 31, male, have some decoys and a dog in training. I work Monday through Friday so I'm only available on weekends. I'm looking for a waterfowl partner with lots of knowledge to learn from. I do all the big game too for many years. I live out in Gibbons. Pm me if interested or would like more information. I'm heading out for ducks in the morning.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 PM

Default A try at waterfowl

Hi everyone. I am in the Drayton Valley area(willing to travel) I have always wanted to give waterfowl hunting a try. I want to make sure it is something I am into to justify the costs before getting too a bunch of equipment. I would be more than happy to help out wherever I can with setup, etc. I am very safety conscious and have hunted big game for a number of years.
If you are willing to put up with a nubie waterfowl hunter for a day somewhere please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Default Want to hunt big game

Hi there, I'm 22 and wanting to hunt big game. I've hunted waterfowl and migratory birds for the last 8 years. I am hoping that I will be able to find someone who would be willing to teach a newbie the ropes. I am located in Calgary but willing to travel. I am available during the weekends but could try and work something out during the week if that's what works better. I'm willing to do whatever is needed, I just want to learn!

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Looking for a waterfowl hunting partner around the camrose, killam, stettler area. I have some gear and a fair bit of experience in waterfowl and big game hunting. Safety is #1 in my hunts.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:06 PM

I live in Edmonton but have hunted a little around lodgepole, drayton valley, and between hinton and Grande prairie. I've also been out for game bird as far north as red earth creek. I have my own truck and quad. I've only harvested a few deer but nothing worth bragging about. I'm hoping to find a hunting partner who would be willing to help show me the ropes. Right now my dream hunt would be an elk. I don't do drink or do drugs aside from the occasional beer after the sun is down and firearms are put away. Work schedule is 7on 7 off so I'll have plenty of time this season for a change. I pull my own weight and am respectful. Safe and responsible hunting. I'm hunting for meat not trophy so you are welcome to have first crack at the bigger horns.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:51 AM

Hey all!

I'm a 36 year old ex infantry member (so I can wake up early) who just moved back to Edmonton after living in Germany for 1,5 years (kann auch Deutsch falls Sie können!). Been back for a couple days, unfortunately haven't done any scouting. I mostly do waterfowl water shoots on DU land and WT day trips. Just seeing if there's any interest if I could tag along or whatever. I'm also pretty free during the week if anybody is looking for a partner/pack mule for overnight trips. I have all my own sleeping stuff, but no wall tents or quads or anything.

I have a couple dozen duck and a few goose floaters, chest waders, shotgun/rifle, all applicable licences/tags, just WT no draws. Don't have a truck anymore, unfortunately, but I have wheels.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, PM me if you're interested in going out together. I haven't hunted in 2 years and would love to go out as much as possible, even just to go out and help.
Of one who has done well
Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Just started - willing to help

I am just starting to go through the process to bow hunt, beginning with archery skills. I would be thrilled if someone would let me tag along near the Edmonton area - I will help out however needed and bring treats!!! Erin