Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 02:51 PM

Default Dispose of home goods.

Lost my brother last week to liver poison/cancer, now the family needs to find a way to remove the items from his house, television, furniture etc. Was thinking to post on kijiji or estate sale.
Looking for any ideas from any of you that have tried and had success.

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:01 PM

Depending how much time you are willing to commit, kijiji or a yard/estate sale will take care of most of it. There are auction houses that will sell everything for you for a percentage; gets it all done in one hectic day. Another option is to call “assisted living associations” or other good will type places and they will take everything off your hands for free.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:10 PM

Sorry for your loss. Unless he had some really high end stuff there isn't much money is used furniture and household goods. Personally I would never do Kijiji again, tried it a couple of time and far too many scum bags and low ballers for my taste. I would let the relates claim whatever they have an interest in and the rest, go the auction route or donate and receipt would be my advice.

Again, my condolences.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Condolences to you and your families.

I have no suggestions other than those that have been mentioned.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 PM

My sincere condolences. Couldn’t imagine losing my brother.
Lots of place to list a few items such as Facebook, kijiji and varage sale. I have bought and sold lots on kijiji without issue. Just ignore the low ballers.
Other option if there is a pile of stuff to sell would be an estate sale. You can hire people to do it which may be easier on you and your family. Garage sale in the spring would be an option if you are comfortable selling everything off.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 PM

I believe Kastner Auction does estate sales. They pickup, list and take a percentage. They are in Edmonton, not sure where your brothers stuff is located so not sure if this suggestion works
Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Still going through this with my MIL's condo. She passed Mothers Day and wanted everything sold and the proceeds split among 3 siblings. She was in a seniors condo so, Kijiji was not a good option as they need buzzed into the building and we would have to meet for each item.
Estate company took one look and told us their was nowhere near enough value to do a Estate sale.
Problem initially was 2 siblings wanted to strip out all the valuables and leave us to dispose of the rest.
So we decided to let the Siblings take what ever they wanted with the caveat that they totally emptied the unit. Any and all proceeds would stay with them for their trouble.
They jumped at the offer in June of last year. Told us it would be done within the month. Was still in probate, so we were not too concerned with emptying the unit immediately.

They came in on July 1st and gutted all the cash, jewelry and mementos.Also took TV's, electronics and emptied her liquor cabinet-Tokai wines etc.
Left the rest and reneged on the deal.

Told us that they had what they wanted and we could deal with the rest.
Executor lost his mind as he made the original offer to them in goodwill and as a way to have the unit emptied at no additional cost to the estate.

Well he pushed them monthly to honor the deal and in Jan 2020 sent them a letter through the lawyer that they had 45 days to conclude their end of the bargain. That ended last week and the place is still full except for obviously being tossed for valuables.

So now it is back to my wife and I to empty-so we swung a deal with a mover to come in and strip it bare. He will donate what he can to Womens shelters, and keep any higher value items which are few and far between. Basically bedroom suite,couches-power lift chair, dining room suite and chest freezer.

In exchange for this deal-he will keep that stuff and not charge us for the move. We have a history of sending business his way and he has moved the family over the years.
He will cover the condo security fee of $75 to have someone watch the doors and schedule the freight elevator.

It would have been much easier if it had been a detached home as the rules in the seniors condo are onerous

I would have had a garage sale on the cheap and offer the rest free for takeaway. But the condo made that impossible.

Last edited by omega50; 02-22-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:30 PM

All excellent information, good and not so good. At minimum many options.
Thank you to all!!
Old 02-23-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

Warrior Sorry for the loss...
Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Executor fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Still going through this with my MIL's condo. She passed Mothers Day and wanted everything sold and the proceeds split among 3 siblings. She was in a seniors condo so, Kijiji was not a good option as they need buzzed into the building and we would have to meet for each item.
Estate company took one look and told us their was nowhere near enough value to do a Estate sale.
Problem initially was 2 siblings wanted to strip out all the valuables and leave us to dispose of the rest.
So we decided to let the Siblings take what ever they wanted with the caveat that they totally emptied the unit. Any and all proceeds would stay with them for their trouble.
They jumped at the offer in June of last year. Told us it would be done within the month. Was still in probate, so we were not too concerned with emptying the unit immediately.

They came in on July 1st and gutted all the cash, jewelry and mementos.Also took TV's, electronics and emptied her liquor cabinet-Tokai wines etc.
Left the rest and reneged on the deal.

Told us that they had what they wanted and we could deal with the rest.
Executor lost his mind as he made the original offer to them in goodwill and as a way to have the unit emptied at no additional cost to the estate.

Well he pushed them monthly to honor the deal and in Jan 2020 sent them a letter through the lawyer that they had 45 days to conclude their end of the bargain. That ended last week and the place is still full except for obviously being tossed for valuables.

So now it is back to my wife and I to empty-so we swung a deal with a mover to come in and strip it bare. He will donate what he can to Womens shelters, and keep any higher value items which are few and far between. Basically bedroom suite,couches-power lift chair, dining room suite and chest freezer.

In exchange for this deal-he will keep that stuff and not charge us for the move. We have a history of sending business his way and he has moved the family over the years.
He will cover the condo security fee of $75 to have someone watch the doors and schedule the freight elevator.

It would have been much easier if it had been a detached home as the rules in the seniors condo are onerous

I would have had a garage sale on the cheap and offer the rest free for takeaway. But the condo made that impossible.
The executor can charge a fee for things related to the estate. That would include a fee for his time and effort to empty Mom's place out after the “deal” was not completed.

Nearly had to do this when my Mom went.

Executor’s “ fee” was going to be split amongst the cooperating beneficiaries to make sure all the beneficiaries came out whole. More than one way to skin
a cat.

Sorry you had to go through this.