Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Default moose hunting near Haig lake

Just looking to see if anyone has had success Moose hunting near Haig Lake? I have an opportunity to go and wanted to see if is worth while, although any day hunting is a good day I don't want to waste a week if its not a productive area.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Pulled a tag in 520 once seen 2 moose In the zone the entire trip it was the late draw. Lots of deer and lots of black bears. I won’t be returning for moose. Sup whitetail and walleye or black bears for sure but hard no for moose in the second draw. Best advice is bring quads tuff to push the Bush it’s so thick out there and pickups don’t do well on the trails and in that mud.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:25 PM

I would not hunt this area based on my past experience with WMU 526 going back many many years. Perhaps things have changed over the past 20 years since I have been there, but 526 seemed to be a cash grab for over provided tags by fish and game. My opinion there was an over abundance of tags issued in that area that fish and wildlife knew hunters could not be successful. Very little chances of success as a result of that practice. Back then the major way into 526 was right through 520 past Haig Lake. Last time I was past that way seems like it is still the point of entry. Having said that, there couldn't have been too many moose removed from 520 as a result of peoples failure in 526, could there???
Old 07-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Worked in that area for 5 years. In that time i seen a cow and a calf.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM

I would not drive any great distance to hunt that area... I live about 2 hours from there and have not bothered to hunt it. Worked in the area for years, so this opinion is not uninformed.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Pulled a tag in 520 once seen 2 moose In the zone the entire trip it was the late draw. Lots of deer and lots of black bears. I won’t be returning for moose. Sup whitetail and walleye or black bears for sure but hard no for moose in the second draw. Best advice is bring quads tuff to push the Bush it’s so thick out there and pickups don’t do well on the trails and in that mud.
If I was to hunt that area, it would be late season, I would just drive roads fairly aggressively looking for tracks, if you are lucky you might find some tracks to follow. Follow these pretty quickly until you figure out whether you have a bull (find where the moose has urinated), if you have a bull track then stay on it because you will probably not find another one. Personally I would leave the quad behind and instead bring a chainsaw, a stout packframe, and a heavy duty toboggan. IMO a quad is of value if you happen to know where a particularly good pocket is, if you don't you are better off covering lots of miles in the hopes of finding some moose tracks crossing the road, and when you track your moose it is a pretty rare occasion that a quad can be used for the recovery.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:22 AM

hunted the area for black bear in spring - saw lots
hunted moose once years ago before draws we harvested one, but the "unlicensed" people hammer them hard, would not hunt there again, if you do someone should stay in camp to have coffee ready for "camp visitors"
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the responses guys! I believe the wmu is 528 just north east of Haig Lake, is what I've been told. Just trying to help out a buddy, but it is a long way to go from Calgary if there isn't a lot of positive feedback on moose success rates in that area. Thanks again!!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If I was to hunt that area, it would be late season, I would just drive roads fairly aggressively looking for tracks, if you are lucky you might find some tracks to follow.
You and the Locals from the FN communities directly south and east of Haig Lake will be driving the area searching for the same.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
You and the Locals from the FN communities directly south and east of Haig Lake will be driving the area searching for the same.

Except that in the second example you name there won't be any "walking" involved.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Yes you are correct, it was 528 we hunted around Bison Lake.