Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
I’ve been looking high and low for the new Asat gear in Canada with very little luck. I’ve read that the fit of the older line kind of sucks for tall skinny guys like me. Sitka optifade can be almost invisible up above the tree line but I’ve been busted many a time in the bush with it.

The closest I’ve ever been to getting stepped on by an elk was while wearing Canadian surplus digital green fleece in early September. That cow looked right through me. Same with good snow camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northpro sports has ASAT - http://northprosports.com/index.php?...ry&path=32#nps
Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Don't forget face paint too, you know, do er up like Gene Simmons..
Old 07-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Humor is Alive and well

I see that humor is alive and well on this forum. Good to see. I want to buy the good stuff to save weight, to feel comfortable, and to not get wet and cold. I am a bit older in my 50's and hate trudging around like scarecrow (from to much heavy and puffy gear). By the end of the day I am pretty tired and thought if I could get some lighter clothes that wont leave me cold and wet then it would be worth spending the cash.

I carry a heavy rifle and don't mind that weight but I hate heavy bulky clothing. I like to hike and find an ambush spot then wait there for some unsuspecting critter to come along.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Blue coveralls with yellow stripes work very well cheap to work supplies
Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Spend your money on whatever good street clothes you want that are good for the weather at hand, and see if you can find cotton or fleece coveralls or two pcs sets to use over top. Far cheaper to buy that way, and can likely get two or three kinds of camo for the same money.
Most of the commercial patterns are way too dark, or blob like, some of the lighter brown coloured newer Realtree isn't too bad, Skyline was the best I've seen yet. And yet, I've had lots of incidents where I was wearing a red plaid jacket and jeans and even having a smoke, that I have had animals walk right up to me, because I was not moving.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Banned

I’ll weigh in here. I have a pile of Sitka gear that mostly stays home when I go hunting. Unless it’s raining, I mostly wear wool and use a ghilie suit over top. If it’s warm I just wear the ghilie suit. The biggest thing is to simply break up your pattern, the color of it only hides you from humans. Ghilie suits are good because not only do they break up your pattern but they break up your silhouette, which is also important. Wool is good because it doesn’t absorb odor and retains 80% of its thermal protection even when wet. And it’s silent.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM

I've been wearing Canadian military green wool pants for 20 plus years still doing the trick and they still fit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Predator Brown for the grasslands, grey works well as a general goto, and the winter is of course great in the white pickups!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I've been wearing Canadian military green wool pants for 20 plus years still doing the trick and they still fit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I wear the newer gortex wind pant bibs for hunting and trapping all winter. Long johns and fleece pants under for when I take the bibs off. Awesome pieces of kit!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Give me the right tag and opportunity and I’ll wear sky blue pink.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Sitting and waiting for deer at dusk, I have observed other hunters. Most any camo pattern looks too dark in poor light.
My washed out, faded Realtree mossy oak 20 year old jacket is just getting good.
Lack of movement is better than Camo for deer.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Coverall bibs?

Do you guys honestly find coverall bibs comfortable. I have a set (in camo) and I feel like a mobile starfish when I wear them. Not flexible or comfortable at all. Hate em. If I drop a magazine or trash on the ground it feels like I will be taking my life in hand to bend over and pick it up.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM

I like my hunting clothes to be quiet, as far as camp patterns go I prefer something lighter in color , most of my hunting is done in poplar trees.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 PM

I’ve had increased protection and extra seconds/opportunities when bears and deer could not see me even though they started to sniff around and alert.

It’s not to say you cannot hunt without camo but I’m a bit surprised it’s being totally written off here.

Pick something reasonable (could even be expensive if it will last you for years) and versatile.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Best cameo for anywhere...asat leafy.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 PM

I generally wear Joseph’s amazing technicolour dream coat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post

What are you hunting, unicorns?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I see that humor is alive and well on this forum. Good to see. I want to buy the good stuff to save weight, to feel comfortable, and to not get wet and cold. I am a bit older in my 50's and hate trudging around like scarecrow (from to much heavy and puffy gear). By the end of the day I am pretty tired and thought if I could get some lighter clothes that wont leave me cold and wet then it would be worth spending the cash.

I carry a heavy rifle and don't mind that weight but I hate heavy bulky clothing. I like to hike and find an ambush spot then wait there for some unsuspecting critter to come along.
You might want look into buying The Heater Body Suit.
I’ve been on the fence to buy one the last couple years and gotta admit I kinda balk at the price,but first hand testimonial last month from a local hunter that I know personally has me sold on it,definitely getting one this year.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That explains your last name then.....Donny..
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:

No need to defend your choice for decent gear. Maybe some of the guys here are tough enough to spend a full fall day in freezing rain, hiking hard and sitting, but I sure need some kind of protection other than cotton.

I have a slew of gore-tex and this year I am experimenting with a poncho to cut weight, but the concepts behind layering and a breathable outer layer are pretty basic knowledge in the hiking, skiing, paddleing, mountaineering, running, biking, and mountain hunting communities... and this is coming from a guy who when I worked construction was too cheap to buy carhaarts new and would get my work wear from the thrift store.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:24 AM

I do have some camo that I occasionally wear, but for the most part this is how I have dressed for 50 years+ of hunting big game and am successful at it as a still hunter/stalker type of hunter.
Cat
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I do have some camo that I occasionally wear, but for the most part this is how I have dressed for 50 years+ of hunting big game and am successful at it as a still hunter/stalker type of hunter.
Cat
Yup red, blue and green. I’ve wore them all while still hunting. Warm and quiet jackets combined with wool pants good to go for the day!

BW
Old 07-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Blue coveralls with yellow stripes work very well cheap to work supplies
It's all about background. White Tyvek works too.

Grizz
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I’m kinda in the same boat.... tried all this regular clothes with a layers etc... feel bulky and heavy. I bought a few pieces of UnderArmour hunting gear from their bargain clearance website. Super great deals, very good clothes. Maybe not as fancy and not even as good as some high tech Sitka gear but it suits my needs. I also have a pair of Badlands pants from Cabella. Thin, waterproof and breathable. Spend a few hours Yesterday picking mushrooms in a tall wet grass under the rain and I was totally dry.
Another brand that I was looking at is Skre gear. I only have the gloves from them(my daughter’s present) and I am impressed.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Giant Tiger $10
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
It's all about background. White Tyvek works too.

Grizz
nice I am sure I have a pair or two of them thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Sitka makes fantastic stuff, highly priced yes, over priced I'm not sure..good clothing that fits properly is not cheap. As everyone has said pattern doesn't matter much..pick what you think looks good, I like the new subalpine. Kuiu makes great stuff too but their selection is limited. If you have the money to spend, try the stuff on, find what you like and buy it, everything costs it's just a sad part of life.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Camofire.com often has Sitka gear on for 50% off. I’ve ordered from them before with zero issues.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you spray your clothing with this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCmcxQZQYLA
Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 PM

I would 2nd camofire. They also have brands other than Sitka which appear to be high quality as well such as Skre, Plythal and Nomad. I haven't tried them all but I've read good things about them.