Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up Had an interesting drone day.

I was asked to do a couple flyovers today at a country auction. I got some great pics and video, and a couple more requests for harvest flights.
Some members can not understand why anyone would ever want a drone, these people understand the value. Flying over the farm, the river hills and river was amazing. The pictures turned out great, the retiring farmer has overhead views from every angle to show his family. They are a wonderful thing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Good, as long as you don't get shot down by the you know who
Old 06-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Any good pictures of the farmer's HOT daughter by the swimming pool ??
Old 06-29-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
lol

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 06-29-2019, 09:15 PM

A person could make a good business flying crop lands for farmers. A fellow I know with a radio controlled battery powered plane does crop check fly overs for a few farmers.

As far back as the 50's there used to be guys that did fly overs on people's farmyards with small Cessna planes and then come and try to sell you the pictures. I have one of my old farmyard from the 50's.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Was that auction near Gibbons, by any chance? Went to a fairly large auction there last week.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 AM

Wink seement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Like, Elly May down by the cement pond? Uncle Jed might not take too kindly to that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donna douglas as elly may.jpg (32.9 KB, 244 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Default Why would anyone ever want a drone these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was asked to do a couple flyovers today at a country auction. I got some great pics and video, and a couple more requests for harvest flights.
Some members can not understand why anyone would ever want a drone, these people understand the value. Flying over the farm, the river hills and river was amazing. The pictures turned out great, the retiring farmer has overhead views from every angle to show his family. They are a wonderful thing.

I was just thinking along these lines recently Ken and then someone posted this: https://youtu.be/bKaVhXn49xY

Wake up in the middle of the night dreaming about the DJI Inspire 2 and it's new Zenmuse 7 low light beast camera-wife's never gonna go for it Lol.

According to one article they could not fly proximal to the ships radar as it would incinerate their amazing footage.

Creeky....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
I was just thinking along these lines recently Ken and then someone posted this: https://youtu.be/bKaVhXn49xY
Wake up in the middle of the night dreaming about the DJI Inspire 2 and it's new Zenmuse 7 low light beast camera-wife's never gonna go for it Lol.
According to one article they could not fly proximal to the ships radar as it would incinerate their amazing footage.

Creeky....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen some amazing deals on the I2 in the States. Almost bought one last year. I have a I1 V2 Pro Black with X5, and it is just fine.
Did you read the part about the apples? 'please do not throw apples in front of the radar, when they explode if scares civilians'.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I have seen some amazing deals on the I2 in the States. Almost bought one last year. I have a I1 V2 Pro Black with X5, and it is just fine.
Did you read the part about the apples? 'please do not throw apples in front of the radar, when they explode if scares civilians'.

Couple of pre deck tour aperitifs (smirnoffs) ought to take care of those folks lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-30-2019, 10:57 AM

just noticed - 'it' not 'if'

The wind was fairly mean yesterday, but both drones handled it well. The only part that annoys me is out of the box the tiny Mavic has a camera that can put the x5 to shame in some situations. Both very capable drones. I dug out the Phantom 4 recently as well, have been putting some time on it as well.
I am certainly glad the new regulations are in place, I don't think other than in Rupert I even flew a drone in 2018.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 AM

I wish they had drones back when my uncle and aunt still owned their farm. Be a nice aerial present for when they moved to town. Memories for us too who spent summers there. Now its all been bull dozed and a modular home sits what used to be the winter yard for the cows.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 AM

https://www.the-back-forty.com/

This young man (my son) was hit hard by the latest downnturn in the Oil Patch.
Driven by necessity , innovation and a measurable amount of talent, he found himself back on top. It can be done.

The Drone is a DJI Mavic Air.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Banned

Are there usually clubs that operate would love to have someone fly over the farm and get some aerial pictures had the guys try sell framed pictures from a plane but only one picture and he wanted 300 would prefer to be able to get a few different angles or options for the money
Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 AM

A couple weeks ago there was a truck and enclosed trailer parked on our Range Road. Went by and chatted with two guys. They had a drone flying gas lines for the Gas Co-Op. Quite the bird! The drone they said was worth about 6K and the methane detector about 25K. They also said they were very busy and could hardly keep up with contracts.

Looks like they started a good business up!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Drones are quite impressive. My work has one. A very fancy one, I think it was around $12,000. I have nothing to do with it, but have seen it in action. I do know we have to contact the airport and get clearance, and file a flight plan or whatever they call it before operation. Self tracking and returns to home base. Lands itself on a 2' square pad all by itself. Pretty cool.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad8210 View Post
Are there usually clubs that operate would love to have someone fly over the farm and get some aerial pictures had the guys try sell framed pictures from a plane but only one picture and he wanted 300 would prefer to be able to get a few different angles or options for the money
There are groups on Facebook, I could hook you up likely. $300 from me gets a couple 13x19 prints, all the pictures and a couple videos on flashdrive.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 07-01-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

Driven by necessity , innovation and a measurable amount of talent, he found himself back on top. It can be done.

Just goes to show you that where there is a will there is a way!

Very nice!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

I noticed a jump in traffic to my site from AO and figured something was up Salavee. Thanks pops!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackForty View Post
I noticed a jump in traffic to my site from AO and figured something was up Salavee. Thanks pops!

thats awesome!!!

Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Good for you! Use this site as a resource. It's a great place for connecting.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Heh! Some great work on your site. Glad you're making good use of your talent!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM

My friend has one pretty expensive. Uses it for flying over your property farm ranch industrial and home. For records for his insurance business
Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Been researching pretty extensively.. will pick up a drone soon and practice a little. Hoping to get some good shots and videos of my acreage this fall. Its quite the hobby it seems.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Been thinking of getting a drone also, is there any kind of new laws or something for operating them I heard

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM

All kinds of new laws. Just google transport canada drone regulations and you will be up to date.

Buy a DJI drone. They are like apple and the iPad. Everyone else is trying to catch up. Staples away from the spark and air.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:31 PM

I picked up a Mavic Pro Platinum a couple months ago and am very impressed with it. I couldn't operate any video game or remote controlled car even. I have over 100 km flight time on it already. Very simple to fly. 30min x 3 batteries each time before recharging . This Mavic can slide into my backpack (Size of a shoe when folded up) and fly anytime I'm out quading,fishing or sledding . No dangerous moments yet ( has obstacle avoidance and wind speed warning,return to home- built in) ,quite comfortable flying 2km away from me , wind has never been an issue yet. Licence and registration was $15 total. Pictures and videos are awesome.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM

that was meant to say stay away from not staples lol

Old 07-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledn View Post
I picked up a Mavic Pro Platinum a couple months ago and am very impressed with it. I couldn't operate any video game or remote controlled car even. I have over 100 km flight time on it already. Very simple to fly. 30min x 3 batteries each time before recharging . This Mavic can slide into my backpack (Size of a shoe when folded up) and fly anytime I'm out quading,fishing or sledding . No dangerous moments yet ( has obstacle avoidance and wind speed warning,return to home- built in) ,quite comfortable flying 2km away from me , wind has never been an issue yet. Licence and registration was $15 total. Pictures and videos are awesome.
I have 3d printed some very cool Mavic boxes if you are interested. Keeps the drone perfectly safe and doesn't add any size.

There is a folding box for the controller too, just dont have it online apparently

Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I have 3d printed some very cool Mavic boxes if you are interested. Keeps the drone perfectly safe and doesn't add any size.

There is a folding box for the controller too, just dont have it online apparently
Case looks good! I have the dji-flymore case and thin silicone water resistant bags, but yours looks smaller. I am not familiar with 3d material construction . PM me the outside dimensions and prices please.