Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Fly line

As ive said on another post im thinking of getting into fly fishing. So my question is serious.
Do you lose fly lines often with snags? Or is it mostly leaders and tippet that goes first? Fly lines are expensive to lose,and i tend to get snagged fairly often with my spin rig.
Do some folks just use a leader with no tippet?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM

You dont have to worry about losing any fly lines around here as long as your backing to fly line knot is strong and your leader is weaker than your fly line. You can use a tapered leader and tippet but I find just straight 9 or 10 ft of mono or flouro is good enough.
your tippet or your leader will almost always break first. Just make sure your leader is weaker than your fly line which most of the time is 20-25lb test. I made a mistake of buying a 40lb pike leader once and had a pike snap my fly line in half. wont be doing that again.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Your system will ususally fail at its weakest point. Here is my list.

Usually fairly close to this order:
1- knots to flies or knots used to connect tippet to tippet or leader to tippet.
2- tippet
3- leader
4- loop between leader and loop
5- finally you would lose your fly line.

If you are fishing for trout it will most likely be 1 and 2, very rarely would you see the butt end of your leader break.

Where guys might lose flyline is when they are using and extremely strong leader (such as steelhead fishing) where the leader actually has more break strenth than the flyline itself. However if you were using a loop I would suspect that it would break before the flyline does.

Typically your flyline should last you 2-3 seasons (of course dependent on use) if you take care of it. What you do need to watch for is line control, if you have a bunch of line at your feet you risk: stepping on it or snagging it on rock which could lead you to cutting it.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM

You won't lose fly line here, I would be very surprised if you did.

Most likely your knots will fail, or the tippet will break.

The only way I see you losing fly line is if you get it snagged on a rock (fly line not tippet/flies) and by pulling on it, the rock cuts the line.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks all for answering what may seem dumb questions. Im thinking i need to give it a go next year. Too late for this year,ill use my spin setup to finish the season i think.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM

The only time I ran out of backing was at sylvan walleye fishing when I hooked into a big pike. I had no choice but to snap him off before he took off with my fly line. Dont worry about using it on trout lakes or streams you can always wade in and follow the fish.